Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

on 12/10/2017 6:07:00 AM

This has got to be the worst high end eye shadow palette I've bought to date!
Even my low end, drugstore eye shadows from WnW rival this crappy palette.
Some of you may remember the awful negativity surrounding the Subculture palette and how much kick up was made by barely tapping your brush into that palette and how there was a quality control issue and how some stores were accepting returns and exchanges for the Subculture palette due to the poor, crappy quality of Subculture.
Well, the MR palette I have is the same crappy quality as the Subculture one was. I suspect I may have gotten one of the first produced palettes that were mass produced by Anastasia when the Modern Renaissance palette was first released and looking at reviews on here I can only assume I'm not the only one who has this observation as well.
The kick up from the eye shadows is just awful. I just barely tap my brush into one of the pans and I get a whole lot of kick up of eye shadow. I literally feel like I'm blowing my money away when I blow off the palette after I'm done using it due to the excess kick up..
I've watched many You Tube videos where the person puts their brush into the shadows and no excess product is kicked up and some of them are tapping pretty hard into their palette yet there's no excess kick up like i get. Which is why I believe there's definitely a quality issue with some of these palettes.
I also hate the fact that Love Letter and Venetian Red are so similar, you can't even tell a difference between the 2 colours once they're one the eyes.
The shadows blend into a hideous, muddy mess when I try and blend them together, they don't last very long at all and fade quite quickly even when properly priming my eyes which is something that should not be happening given the price point of this palette. Some of them are hard to blend and literally stay where you put them so you end up having to blend way too much for awhile, such effort should not be had, again, given the price of this palette (Love Letter, Venetian Red), yet some of them blend well enough but also blend into nothingness or into a muddy mess (Golden Ochre, Burnt Orange).
I bought my palette from Macy's so I doubt I got a fake unless someone returned a palette that was a fake and Macy's put it back out on the floor.
The colours in here are so gorgeous and they look amazing against my grey eyes and pale skin but the quality for me and my experience surrounding it has been less than some of the other reviewers on here.
I really do think I got a shoddy palette that should not have made it out for purchase, I think the quality of my palette is the same quality as the first produced palettes from the Subculture release that a lot of other people seemed to have issues with.
I will be looking into affordable dupes for this palette for sure (Beauty Creations one comes to mind).
I do have the UD Naked Heat palette and its quality is far superior than the MR palette but not quite a spot on colour dupe for the MR palette.
I feel pretty upset that I seemed to have gotten a dud amongst all the other people raving about this palette on here but I see a couple reviews that are also questioning the quality of their palette since they seemed to have possibly gotten a poor quality palette, same as me.
I decided tonight would be the last time I wore this horrendous palette ever again after coming home and seeing how awful my shadows had faded and how they all had faded into a muddy mess on my eyes. I tried to give this palette a chance, perhaps too many chances and I'm done. The only redeeming quality from this palette is the brush. It will be the one thing I won't be throwing into the bin.

on 8/9/2016 6:58:00 AM

I'm not being paid to review for these brands so I'm not going to sugar coat it. I will warn you that there is a lot of hype about this palette that is borderline *over sensationalised*, aka similar to the peach palette by Too Faced. All I'll say is before you run out and buy this know the facts and what you're actually buying before you dish out the cashola,

For me it's a real love hate relationship with this palette.

First off the bat: The colours are beautiful and romantic. The soft reds and buttery browns are dreamy and look sensational. Also the blendability of the colours is fantastic.

However........

The biggest con of them all: a lot of these shadows contain CARMINE. Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a Vegan cosmetic company, so watch out! Now I didn't know this before I purchased the palette (which I'm annoyed because I only buy Vegan brands with cruelty free practices. I assumed this company was, but I was wrong). After using this palette for a week I found out the hard way that it was not a Vegan product. Yes the colours are lovely and the powder is so very finely milled...but the eye shadows dried and irritated my eyelids *that badly* that I was left with scaly, dry, irritated lids after a week of using these shades every day. I use Urban Decay, Too Faced, even cheapo Makeup Revolution and have never had a reaction like this palette has given me. Hello red, itchy dermititis eyelid hell. No more eye shadows for me at the moment. Some of the shadows do have carmine in them, and that's a well known eye irritant (so yeah sure why not chuck that in an eye shadow *rolls eyes*). Anyway heads up to the sensitive peeps and the Vegan peeps out there.

Also the fallout is something shocking. Even stroking the brush on the shadows causes an avalanche of powder to spill everywhere. You have been warned.

The packaging is like Urban Decay's Naked palette, that velvet case thing. Honestly I would like a tin, I mean I paid enough for a tin at the very least? Surely? And don't get me started with the cheapest nastiest brush that ever existed that is included with this palette. At least Urban Decay have nice brushes. The one in the Modern Renaissance is actually insulting. Sometimes it's better to not include something if its the same quality as a synthetic paint brush from the dollar store. Just sayin....

The colours may be nice but considering the horrible carmine irritation and fallout and the fact that Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a animal cruelty free company, I can't recommend this, Or say it's great. Just no.

Le sigh.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because I was mad at myself for missing out on the ABH Self Made palette, I'd decided that, come hell or high water, I would get her next palette as they are such a good value, price-wise. I really wanted for this to be a fabulous purchase for me but I decided to try it out in-store and there are just so many colours in it that absolutely do not work for me and actually make me look BAAAD - as though I've had a serious allergic reaction to something. Red Ochre, Venetian Red and Love Letter are the worst, along with Burnt Orange and Realgar, but several of the other shadows are also too orange/red based to be wearable for me! I already have enough of these types of colours in a bunch of KvD and UD Vice palettes and they are all untouched, so I hardly needed more. I'm sure these shades look fabulous on people with different colouring from mine and different eye colours but for me - no thanks. I also noticed, as I was trying this palette, that some of the shadows seemed to kick up a fair bit of powder. I thought it was because it was the store tester or that the SA at Sephora was being heavy-handed with her brushes but now, reading some of the earlier reviews, I see this is a common complaint. I'm glad I took the time to try it in-store to avoid a costly mistake.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Okay so this palette is probably the hardest item of makeup I’ve ever had to review. The shades are very pretty. I bought it mostly as I love warm browns nudes golds & red tones. The packaging is very pretty but I have seen so many Youtubers whose palette looks very dirty so I’m very very careful with mine (I can’t bear dirty looking make up) to avoid fingerprints I tend to open it & put the palette down & use another mirror so I’m not holding it while doing my eyes. I would highly recommend keeping the cardboard sleeve to protect it.
The formula is in my opinion not as nice as the urban decay eyeshadow palettes. But the colours are very lovely. I don’t like Cypress Umber very much I think it looks a little patchy & muddy on me no matter how much I blend. I do like this palette but just don’t get the hype. Yes the colours are lovely and you can achieve some lovely looks but I don’t find myself reaching for it nearly as often as my Urban decay palettes Naked 3 & Heat. The brush is okay the denser side is lovely but the blending side is a little scratchy. I really wanted to love this palette. I like it but it isn’t love. I probably would re purchase as I do like most of the shades but really dislike golden ochre & cypress umber as feel they make me look like my face is dirty.

I bought this palette when it first released, not realizing how hyped it was. I usually wait for reviews before buying but hey, there were red eye shadows and that was enough to grab my attention.
First off, the packaging is a miss. I like the light pink but the velvet like texture gets dirty fast. It's not the easiest to clean either.
Second, the brush was a miss. The smaller shadow brush is fine. It's soft, works well enough. But the fluffier blending side is so scratchy. It's not even usable! I like getting brushes with palettes if they are good. In this case I say drop the brush and knock off a couple bucks to the price tag.
Lastly, the shadow quality is good. The shimmers are not as intense and metallic as I prefer. In a lot of youtube tutorials you see people foiling them with setting spray to get maximum payoff. The mattes are better. Smooth and pigmented. I usually bring in another palette to use with this one because I do like more shimmer/metallic lid shades.
There are complaints about fallout since the shadows are soft. I do my eye shadow first, base makeup last, so I wipe off any fallout and it's not a problem.
I've had this since the first release and have pan on 5 shades. I like it. Would I repurchase? At this point there are a million red and berry toned palettes. Honestly, if/when I finish this I'd try a different brand. If this palette is your ideal color scheme I do think you will like it.

on 2/8/2018 2:56:00 PM

Do you like cranberry eyeshadow?

Do you like warm midtone mattes? And appreciate a bunch all in one place?

I can see why this palette has mass appeal. But I swear this is the most overhyped thing..

There's two shimmers and one satin shade. The rest are matte. If you appreciate shimmers in a palette (and I do) be forewarned these SUCK!

All the work was put into the matte shades and the shimmers just seemed like a gratuitous add on w no thought in quality what-so-ever. They blended away if applied dry. They needed to be applied wet (NEEDED to be applied wet) just to show up at all. Then if you wanted to build them up-- impossible. The second layer took off the first layer. So annoying!!

Tempura, the satin shade was better in quality compared to the gold and champagne shimmer shade (names escape me). And that's not to mention they're literally the same kind of shades found in every palette ever-- a pale gold and a pinky/peachy toned champagne reminiscent of UD sin... yawn.

No black and one deepish toned warm brown-- so to add depth to any look you are confined to Cyprus umber-- so that doesn't leave a lot of versatility-- it isn't that deep of a shade and again, there's only one shade like that. I hated having to reach for it to deepen up every single last look bc the end result was just always the same.

I couldn't get inspired to use this palette. I would try to make neutral looks. None of the mattes seemed to work on the lid-- the shimmers were unusable. So it's like I'd put tempura on the lid--- try to add some dimension w the mattes. Or foil the shimmers to make them usable. It was always more work than it was worth. Instead of 2-3 shades I'd reach for 6 shades just to make something look cohesive and dimensional. Then they'd all just end up blending together. The shadows didn't fade, but they just blended. I never felt like I had a good makeup day when I tried it.

I returned it just under the 60 days and I was so grateful I didn't wind up keeping it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Edit 10/17/18 I’m not sure if my palette expired or if I misremembered it, but using it now, I do not love it. I blend shades on my eye and they muddy together, fade, and generally look terrible. The only shade that I still like is antique bronze. That one is gorgeous all over the lid. I had decided to pan this, but I hated every day with it. So I’m going to declutter if it. So either this expired really fast, in which case too expensive to replace that often, or I misremember how well the looks lasted. Either way, I don’t use this anymore and lowered my rating from 5 to 3.

In recent years I have significantly limited the number of eyeshadow palettes I have purchased. My rule is I have to like and use every color in the palette. Frequently I'll love one shade and want to buy a palette for that. For this one, I really wanted Red Ochre. But then I started wanting more shades and found myself trying to purchase and dupe several shades. Finally I admitted to myself it would be cheaper to just buy the palette. So about March of this year I finally bit the bullet and got it. I love this palette. This has been so useful. I am shocked at how well it works for every day looks. I love the brighter reds to warm up the crease or transform other shades to make it interesting. I love that there are several shades that are one and done on the lid. I love that it has a good browbone shade and a liner shade. The two shimmery shades are a classic pink and gold and both are amazing. The orange is soooo fun to work with!! This palette has everything and I don't need to reach for other palettes to complete looks, which I love. I could use this every day.
My cons are that the velvet can get messy. I treat this palette very carefully because you can't really clean it. Also, the shades are very powdery. I only ever dab my brush into the palette. When I keep application very soft I don't get fall out. But you can easily have a mess. I've never dropped this palette but I'm afraid to test how fragile it is. So I'd love to take it traveling but I'm afraid to lest it be shattered.
I do have the subculture palette. And I have to say that I don't think subculture is any more powdery. I'm waiting to try a few more looks before I review that one, but so far I love it. I personally am applying both palettes the same way (very delicately because they are exceedingly soft shadows) and I have had no issues blending.
Over all, if I were talking to someone who has some experience with makeup and likes to play, I would definitely recommend Modern Renaissance. I have several sisters and a mother who only use very traditional eyeshadow and I would never recommend this to them. None of them would have the slightest idea of how to use it. This palette is not for everyone, but I do think it's for anyone bothering to read reviews on Makeup Alley.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

NEW BATCHES AS BAD AS SUBCULTURE?? The original Renaissance palettes were great it seems but quality of the latest batches may have dropped to the match the new Subculture palette. At least mine and one other youtubers are super powdery and not as good as the original releases. Perhaps because of they have shifted production of both palettes to a bigger factory with new pressing machines that aren't working properly (according to Norvina 's explanations from ABH)

I got mine recently from Sephora and when I opened it there was powder all over the inside of the lid and I had to go and clean it up. I actually thought they sent me a used one at first! I just saw a Youtuber "Here for the Tea" who had the same experience and she thinks the Modern Renaissance batches are being rushed out carelessly in the same way as the Subculture palette to turn out the numbers and prepare ABH for sale. In the same way that Too Faced went downhill just before they sold to Estee Lauder. If you're interested I'll put her video link below.

I think this palette is made to swatch well (it does) and appeal to young girls who don't mind thickly caking on the makeup and closely follow social media trends (it satisfies that too). But it doesn't work well on my actual eyes for the price.

The matte shadows are so extremely powdery loosely pressed that they kick up so much powder everywhere. And yes, I know to use a firm not a fluffy brush to minimise fallout so its not me. (I dislike the way the owner, Norvina blamed customers for application issues, we know how to apply makeup!) Its so powdery it some always manages to get into my eyes and irritate them. I end up so much with fallout on my cheeks I have to cleanse my face after doing my eyes. Then don't layer well. When I blend them over each other I can't build up pigment to intensity I want. The shimmers are better but look thick and unflattering on the delicate thin skin of my older eyes and highlight my crepey lids.

I much prefer the light feeling texture, look, ease of use, easier blending, and better pigmentation I get out of my current (large) collection of Lancome, Tarte, Avon, Dior, Urban Decay and so on. I also have a professional Ben Nye pressed pigment palette which is more pigmented, smoother and the colors show up brighter and more intensely on my eyes.

Quality aside, I like the colors aren't versatile for my coloring (extremely fair yellow toned skin, blue eyes, dark ash blonde hair). Yes there are some bright colors but they are muted and look muddy someone with my coloring. Most of the shades are mid-toned with a murky ashy undertone. The only one light enough for a highlight is a frosty cool light pink which looks dated and unflattering on me. I have to bring in a matte cream to make this work. And there is only one deep shade (top right, Cypress Umber) that is deep or pigmented enough to give me some definition. Thats ok for a soft day look, but for intense night looks I need to bring in a dark color from another palette, or, pile on the black liquid liner and tons of mascara to get the intensity I want. I do think they are best suited for light/medium skin and deeper. I don't think the quality matches the price tag ($75 in my country and NO returns allowed.) I totally regret buying this.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is a great neutral palette that also offers up a wide variety of color to play around with. You can create many neutral, warm reds, cooler berry tones, and orange looks and every shade plays well with each other. You can blindly stick your brush into any shade and you will still have a cohesive look. I've used almost every colour combo and none of them blend muddy like some of the other ABH palettes. I love how I can use this everyday because it's so pigmented you only need a small amount of product and even the brighter shades tone down to be work/school appropriate.

I've only found a few drawbacks:
- Cyprus Umber (the dark brown shade) is the most prone to patchiness but built up slowly with a light hand it looks fine.
- Primavera (gold shimmer) is not opaque like the other two shimmers. It applies as a very loose smattering of gold sparkles.
- these shadows will fade and crease. I do not have oily lids and this is the first time I've ever had to prime my eyes
- this palette has a shorter life span than average. Many people have reported after two years it becomes unusable so unless you're planning on regularly using this I would maybe choose a different product

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I do really love this palette. The shades are what drew me to the palette. There are nice cool and warm tones. However, the red and pink shades are very dry, chalky and powdery. They are beautiful colors which is a real shame. The shades this happens with is Love Letter, Venetian Red and Red Ochre. I've not had a problem with the rest of the shades. I can create really light or heavy eye looks with this.