Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Of Beverly Hills  Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I really love these colours. They are absolutely gorgeous. Despite being oft-imitated, this is the still the best out of all the red-based palettes I've tried. The only reason I deducted a lippie is that some of the shadows do have fallout and I don't find the oranges to be quite as blendable as I'd like. Other than that, I have no complaints and I'd still buy this again.

on 2/8/2018 2:56:00 PM

Do you like cranberry eyeshadow?

Do you like warm midtone mattes? And appreciate a bunch all in one place?

I can see why this palette has mass appeal. But I swear this is the most overhyped thing..

There's two shimmers and one satin shade. The rest are matte. If you appreciate shimmers in a palette (and I do) be forewarned these SUCK!

All the work was put into the matte shades and the shimmers just seemed like a gratuitous add on w no thought in quality what-so-ever. They blended away if applied dry. They needed to be applied wet (NEEDED to be applied wet) just to show up at all. Then if you wanted to build them up-- impossible. The second layer took off the first layer. So annoying!!

Tempura, the satin shade was better in quality compared to the gold and champagne shimmer shade (names escape me). And that's not to mention they're literally the same kind of shades found in every palette ever-- a pale gold and a pinky/peachy toned champagne reminiscent of UD sin... yawn.

No black and one deepish toned warm brown-- so to add depth to any look you are confined to Cyprus umber-- so that doesn't leave a lot of versatility-- it isn't that deep of a shade and again, there's only one shade like that. I hated having to reach for it to deepen up every single last look bc the end result was just always the same.

I couldn't get inspired to use this palette. I would try to make neutral looks. None of the mattes seemed to work on the lid-- the shimmers were unusable. So it's like I'd put tempura on the lid--- try to add some dimension w the mattes. Or foil the shimmers to make them usable. It was always more work than it was worth. Instead of 2-3 shades I'd reach for 6 shades just to make something look cohesive and dimensional. Then they'd all just end up blending together. The shadows didn't fade, but they just blended. I never felt like I had a good makeup day when I tried it.

I returned it just under the 60 days and I was so grateful I didn't wind up keeping it.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

Believe the hype for this one!

When I first got it, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to use this on an everyday basis, however it's a lot more versatile than I originally thought. These are honestly some of the best eyeshadows I've ever used. They're extremely creamy and pigmented- lightly dipping your brush into the pan is usually sufficient. They apply so smoothly and blend seamlessly- they pretty much do the work for you! Every single shade in this palette is beautiful. I'm really happy that red tones are a thing.

My favorite color in this palette is Antique Bronze- it's so unique and absolutely stunning. I get tons of compliments when I wear it, and I'd say it's a pretty universally flattering shade. I like to put this all over my lid with Cyprus Umber on the outer corner and Buon Fresco to blend it out.

The only bad thing is that a lot of the shades do have fall out, and there's a good amount of kick back in the pans. However, when shadows are this pigmented, it's to be expected. Like I mentioned, you don't even need to load up your brush with a lot of eyeshadow so it's not a huge problem.

Don't be intimidated by these colors- play around with them, try different looks! It's really worth the price, and I believe that Anastasia Beverly Hills makes some of the best eyeshadows on the market.

love the pigment of the shadows. don't be concerned with the fallout it's worth it with the amount of pigment. packaging is velvet which feels lux at first but gets dirty fast :/

on 1/8/2018 2:46:00 PM

This was a gift from my husband. The salesperson steered him to this palette and I am so happy he did. I love how pigmented the colors are. What you see is what you get. They blend well and look fantastic on. Buy this palettte.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Modern Renaissance contains fourteen shadows in a mix of eleven mattes, one satin and two metallics; Tempera [Velvety beige with an ultra-matte finish], Golden Ochre [Earthy yellow with an ultra-matte finish], Vermeer [Iridescent shell with a metallic finish], Buon Fresco [Antique lavender with an ultra-matte finish], Antique Bronze [Metallic sable with a satin finish], Love Letter [Raspberry with an ultra-matte finish], Cyprus Umber [Dark coffee with an ultra-matte finish], Realgar [Brick with an ultra-matte finish], Warm Taupe [Earthy gray with an ultra-matte finish], Venetian Red [Crimson with an ultra-matte finish], Red Ochre [Sienna with an ultra-matte finish], Primavera [shimmery gold dust with a metallic finish], Burnt Orange [deep orange with an ultra-matte finish] and Raw Sienna [neutral amber with an ultra-matte finish]. You also get a double-ended brush, with is surprisingly high quality and is something that I regularly use.
The shades Burnt Orange, Buon Fresco and Warm Taupe can be brought as individual shadows, and the other eleven shades can only be found in this palette.

This palette caught my eye because it is full of warm shades that will keep me happy all-year round and for every occasion; the matte to shimmer ratio is very practical, there are plenty of safer more 'everyday' neutral shades, but there are lovely bolder colour pops too, in my favourite shadow shades [pinky reds and orange]. The shadows all have fantastic pigmentation, everything is easy to blend & build up, and there's no heavy shimmer/glitter that doesn't adhere to skin and goes everywhere, plus everything is crease & fade resistant. I've not had any issues with shades muddying together or oxidizing to feedback - I believe those problems are being caused by people applying too much product and/or overblending the soft shadows. Speaking of soft shadow; there is kick-up with most of the shades in this palette when I dip my brushes into the pans, but that is something that never really bothers me as long as the powders apply and perform well, which these do.

I can't think of any complaints or niggles with Modern Renaissance - it's the only cosmetic product I've tried that has lived up to it's hype. At least it has for me, anyway.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

THIS is the palette that got me addicted to highend products irrevocably. Anastasia has killed it with this palette. First of all, the color scheme of this product allows you to be as creative as you want; they all work perfect with eachother and create such unique combinations. The shades are predominantly mattes, which could be a plus for most, but also includes unique textures (for e.g. metallics with satin finish). They blend like no other eyeshadow out there and they require the minimal blend to look stunning. The pigmentation is again, fantastic. Even though you mix 3 or 4 colors in the look, you`d still be able to distinguish them individually. It can create stunning day to day eyelooks due to the variety of "soft" colors like Buon Fresco, Warm Taupe, Golden Ochre and Tempera, but it`s always the RIGHT choice to create more pinky/red full-glam looks. The product lasts for very long time, since you only need a little bit to obtain the effect desired, so it is the best investment you can make. It is the dream.
Everytime I buy a palette, I always compare it with the quality of Modern Rennaissance and I still haven`t found one that could be a competitor for it.
TIP: some of the shades could be bought individually from Anastasia Beverly Hills website if it happens to hit the pan and don`t want to purchase the entire palette again.

on 12/10/2017 6:07:00 AM

This has got to be the worst high end eye shadow palette I've bought to date!
Even my low end, drugstore eye shadows from WnW rival this crappy palette.
Some of you may remember the awful negativity surrounding the Subculture palette and how much kick up was made by barely tapping your brush into that palette and how there was a quality control issue and how some stores were accepting returns and exchanges for the Subculture palette due to the poor, crappy quality of Subculture.
Well, the MR palette I have is the same crappy quality as the Subculture one was. I suspect I may have gotten one of the first produced palettes that were mass produced by Anastasia when the Modern Renaissance palette was first released and looking at reviews on here I can only assume I'm not the only one who has this observation as well.
The kick up from the eye shadows is just awful. I just barely tap my brush into one of the pans and I get a whole lot of kick up of eye shadow. I literally feel like I'm blowing my money away when I blow off the palette after I'm done using it due to the excess kick up..
I've watched many You Tube videos where the person puts their brush into the shadows and no excess product is kicked up and some of them are tapping pretty hard into their palette yet there's no excess kick up like i get. Which is why I believe there's definitely a quality issue with some of these palettes.
I also hate the fact that Love Letter and Venetian Red are so similar, you can't even tell a difference between the 2 colours once they're one the eyes.
The shadows blend into a hideous, muddy mess when I try and blend them together, they don't last very long at all and fade quite quickly even when properly priming my eyes which is something that should not be happening given the price point of this palette. Some of them are hard to blend and literally stay where you put them so you end up having to blend way too much for awhile, such effort should not be had, again, given the price of this palette (Love Letter, Venetian Red), yet some of them blend well enough but also blend into nothingness or into a muddy mess (Golden Ochre, Burnt Orange).
I bought my palette from Macy's so I doubt I got a fake unless someone returned a palette that was a fake and Macy's put it back out on the floor.
The colours in here are so gorgeous and they look amazing against my grey eyes and pale skin but the quality for me and my experience surrounding it has been less than some of the other reviewers on here.
I really do think I got a shoddy palette that should not have made it out for purchase, I think the quality of my palette is the same quality as the first produced palettes from the Subculture release that a lot of other people seemed to have issues with.
I will be looking into affordable dupes for this palette for sure (Beauty Creations one comes to mind).
I do have the UD Naked Heat palette and its quality is far superior than the MR palette but not quite a spot on colour dupe for the MR palette.
I feel pretty upset that I seemed to have gotten a dud amongst all the other people raving about this palette on here but I see a couple reviews that are also questioning the quality of their palette since they seemed to have possibly gotten a poor quality palette, same as me.
I decided tonight would be the last time I wore this horrendous palette ever again after coming home and seeing how awful my shadows had faded and how they all had faded into a muddy mess on my eyes. I tried to give this palette a chance, perhaps too many chances and I'm done. The only redeeming quality from this palette is the brush. It will be the one thing I won't be throwing into the bin.

on 11/11/2017 4:21:00 AM

Absolutely beautiful product. Applies and blends like a dream, and I have already hit pan on half the palette. I will say there is sometimes some minor fallout, but I do my eyemakeup first, so its not really an issue for me. The packaging does get dirty easily, I find, but other wise, I highly recommend this product.

on 10/9/2017 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Lovely palette! Very universal you can get very natural looks to bold smokey eyes or colourful looks with just using this. I like to have my own matte creme shade as tempera has a bit of a sheen and I prefer my browbone matte. But I can use tempera I just prefer a matte when I have one with me.

ALL shades are pigmented and blend like a dream. Over a primer they stay on vibrant untill I remove them (the best primer for the longest staying power is the bareminerals primetime eyeshadow primer - I dont get it how I never hear anyone raving about it????? 100% recomnend!)

The brush is ok. I feel like the fluffy side does kick up more powder in the pan. I always use my own fluffy brushes (zoeva) and dont notice to much kickup in the pan but I always dip in very gentle and never swirl the brush.

As the velvet case gets dirty I store it in the box it came with.

Highly recommend. I got a backup just in case they ever stop selling this or change formula. It is that good.

Sorry englisch is not my first language ;)