Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Of Beverly Hills  Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

About a year ago I purged all my makeup (along with my now ex husband and all of my other worldly possessions). I highly recommend this, btw.
Anyway, I've been very careful not to load up on too much crap, cosmetic or otherwise. Not just because I wanted to save some money, but also because it is extremely freeing to not have so much stuff.
So, I've been running a pretty bare-bones operation over here, and during the last few months I've grown increasingly dissatisfied with my makeup.
I've always used predominantly drugstore makeup because the thought of dropping 50 bucks or more on something that I may not love is depressing to me, but mostly because I'm in a drugstore several times a week, but rarely find myself at Sephora or a department store.
I've been using a 12 shadow Morphe palette since the purge and while the colors are decent and the shadow itself has carried me through quite happily, I'm not totally thrilled (a little chalky and let's face it I'm getting bored).
Palettes are always touch and go because I find that they either have a lot of shades I never touch, or a lot of different versions of the same shade. However, if I start to put together my own palette or select single shades, I get heart palpitations.
I'm not going to lie; and, I hate to even admit this, but most drugstore shadows, while many are truly lovely, fall short, particularly when it comes to shades. I find that they're always just a bit "off".
I paid a visit to Sephora with a list of what I'm currently dissatisfied with, eyeshadow being one of them.
I went over that place with a fine-toothed comb, and this palette is what I chose.

I'm not apposed to bold colors, but like a lot of women (I think) I tend to stick with neutrals. Finding an interesting and successful palette of neutrals is never as easy as I think it would be, but wow this one fits the bill. A great selection of varied neutrals both warm and cool, golden, clay, taupe and peachy, that work successfully together. My only hesitation was the plumb/magenta type shades, but I gotta say, even THOSE look good. The texture and pigment of these shadows - flawless. A creamy smooth powder that goes on and wears like a dream.
I love the fact that the shades are predominantly matte, but there are some well-chosen shimmery options in it as well. That is key.

I LOVE THIS PALETTE; I LOVE THESE SHADOWS.

I do however agree with others who say the packaging is not great. Light pinkish velveteen that will no doubt look like hell dispite even the most valiant efforts to maintain it. But this does not compromise the overall excellence of this palette and the quality of each and every shadow in it.

on 1/22/2017 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am so disappointed in this after all the massive, relentless hype. Just touching it for the first time with a fingertip, I was shocked that the dark shades were dry and gritty. They felt like an old Cover Girl or Rimmel quad. What??? The paler shades are very creamy but there is nothing new here. Most importantly, I don't get this craze for red eyeshadows. Sure they are beautiful colours but it's too easy too look ill when you put red around your eyes. OK I have seen some youtubers using just the brown and cream shades and it looks great. But why buy this when those are in every palette? It's funny, when I went to Sephora the Anastasia display was not where it used to be (in the back, on a little display at the end of an aisle). So I looked in the middle of the store and there it was. The star. Taking up an entire lengthwise aisle. They are no longer a "little" obscure company. Obviously they are very, very popular. But I won't be having red rimmed eyes, thanks. Any of the palettes in my stash have most of the useful colours in here. The funny thing is I still want to like it after reading all the glowing, adoring reviews. Maybe it's me and I should try harder to make it work. Or maybe I just got a bad batch.

on 8/9/2016 6:58:00 AM

I'm not being paid to review for these brands so I'm not going to sugar coat it. I will warn you that there is a lot of hype about this palette that is borderline *over sensationalised*, aka similar to the peach palette by Too Faced. All I'll say is before you run out and buy this know the facts and what you're actually buying before you dish out the cashola,

For me it's a real love hate relationship with this palette.

First off the bat: The colours are beautiful and romantic. The soft reds and buttery browns are dreamy and look sensational. Also the blendability of the colours is fantastic.

However........

The biggest con of them all: a lot of these shadows contain CARMINE. Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a Vegan cosmetic company, so watch out! Now I didn't know this before I purchased the palette (which I'm annoyed because I only buy Vegan brands with cruelty free practices. I assumed this company was, but I was wrong). After using this palette for a week I found out the hard way that it was not a Vegan product. Yes the colours are lovely and the powder is so very finely milled...but the eye shadows dried and irritated my eyelids *that badly* that I was left with scaly, dry, irritated lids after a week of using these shades every day. I use Urban Decay, Too Faced, even cheapo Makeup Revolution and have never had a reaction like this palette has given me. Hello red, itchy dermititis eyelid hell. No more eye shadows for me at the moment. Some of the shadows do have carmine in them, and that's a well known eye irritant (so yeah sure why not chuck that in an eye shadow *rolls eyes*). Anyway heads up to the sensitive peeps and the Vegan peeps out there.

Also the fallout is something shocking. Even stroking the brush on the shadows causes an avalanche of powder to spill everywhere. You have been warned.

The packaging is like Urban Decay's Naked palette, that velvet case thing. Honestly I would like a tin, I mean I paid enough for a tin at the very least? Surely? And don't get me started with the cheapest nastiest brush that ever existed that is included with this palette. At least Urban Decay have nice brushes. The one in the Modern Renaissance is actually insulting. Sometimes it's better to not include something if its the same quality as a synthetic paint brush from the dollar store. Just sayin....

The colours may be nice but considering the horrible carmine irritation and fallout and the fact that Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a animal cruelty free company, I can't recommend this, Or say it's great. Just no.

Le sigh.

on 6/15/2016 5:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

If I could, I would give this palette a 4.5. I will break this review down into a few categories.

Cost/ Value:
This palette is $42 USD for ~0.28 oz of eyeshadow and a double-sided brush. The eyeshadow singles are ~0.059 oz for $12 each, or 4 for $40 USD. If my 2AM math is correct, that would be 0.236 oz of eyeshadow for $40. So, compared to the single shadows, the palette is slightly cheaper per oz. That being said, the amount is spread over 14 shadows instead of 4, so you are getting a lot less in each shadow, and the palette has less product than other palettes like the Naked or Chocolate Bar series. $42 is cheaper than a lot of palettes on the market and, while the total volume is significantly lower than other options, when was the last time you actually panned a whole palette?

I find the shadow quality to live up to the single shadow standards, something that isn't always true of large palettes. You will hit pan on these shades a lot faster, but I would rather pay for a quality product and use it up than have it sitting in my collection for years on end. I enjoy the brush included and use it often. The blender side is small enough for crease shades but fluffy enough to blend & diffuse color. The more flat end is perfect for more precise placement and packing on color.

Shade Selection
This palette has a distinct color range: very warm, lots of reds and oranges, good range of light, mid-tone, and deep. When you take a closer look, there are a few cooler toned shades to give variety that also work well with the warm shades without clashing. Color choice is a very subjective topic, but in my opinion the shades were well thought out and extremely cohesive. You can create a large range of looks for any occasion using the shades provided- there are both colorful and neutral mid-toned crease shades so this can swing in either the natural/ work-appropriate or trendy/ artistic directions.

I really enjoy the amount of mattes in the palette. My biggest criticism of the Naked palettes is the number of shimmery shades prevent you from creating a larger variety of looks. The mattes in this palette give you great versatility. The only thing I would have changed is to switch Vermeer or Primavera for a deeper gold/ copper for the lid, as these two shades look very similar once applied, and swapping Venetian Red or Love Letter for a deep burgundy or black, as those two also appear very similar on the lid. Aside from that, I have no complaints and as someone with a large collection of ABH single shadows, I am glad they took a departure from the neutrals.

Formula
If you are familiar with ABH shadows, I find the quality to be identical to that found in the single shadows. The mattes are softer & kick up more powder than the regular ultra mattes- I find them to match more closely with the Velvet formulation (like Dusty Rose). The shimmers are the same texture as the permanent shimmers, maybe a bit softer. They apply with full pigment and blend effortlessly. The mattes can be applied with a fluffy brush for a sheer wash, but can easily be packed on without becoming patchy. The shimmers can bunch up a bit when you go in too hard with your brush but smooth out nicely on the eye. They last all day with eye primer, but I do not typically have issues with lasting power as my eyelids are very dry. These do not emphasize my dryness or make my lids look crepe-y. My biggest complaint is that the mattes can muddy up a bit because they are so soft and easy to blend. It is difficult to get a lot of definition like you would need for a cut crease. I find sticking to 2-3 shades prevents the colors from muddying, but if you like to use a lot of different shadows and layering them just know it might not work with this formula.

Packaging
I'm not in love with the package on this palette. The outside is a lovely light pink, but it is made of velvet and I know it will be dirty in no time. The top is also a bit flimsy and folds all the way back, like in previous palettes. These aren't deal breakers for me and it's not a hinderance when using the palette, it's just not as nice as other palettes on the market (but if it helps keep the cost down, I'm not complaining).

Overview
All in all, I am completely in love with this palette. The cost is average for the amount provided, but I am a believer in quality over quantity. I am a single shadow lover and have 2 large custom palettes; once I had those, I got rid of all of my large mainstream palettes because I do not like having shades go unused. Shade selection is very personal & subjective, but this is the first palette in years that I have truly loved every shade and had some kind of use for. They will work with a wide variety of skin tones/ undertones, and orangey-red complements most eye colors. The quality is consistent with their single shadows and are a dream to work with once you know not to use too many colors because they can get muddy. I applaud ABH for stepping outside of that neutral territory for their first permanent palette, and I can't wait to see what else they have in store. I recommend this to someone who is tired of all-neutral palettes, someone who likes warm toned shades but doesn't want to deal with social media brands like the Morphe 35O or the Violet Voss Holy Grail, or someone interested in a warm grunge palette but doesn't want to buy the LC Venus.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I dislike going against the majority, but I feel everyone's opinion and experience with a product counts. For me, this is a total no-go. I feel like the shades in here are not flattering for many skin tones and eye colors. Many of these shades on me make me look like I have pink eye or I am sick. That is if I can even get the product to apply decently. I get a lot of fallout with this, even a light tap of the product. They do not go on smoothly for me (even trying with 4 different primers) and they apply unevenly and patchy and then they crease on me within a couple of hours. I wanted to like this palette because of the hype, but it is just not for me. I also feel too many of these shades are too similar to each other. I find it hard to create a look with this palette alone, and when trying, it just for me looks muddled or like I was playing with cheap makeup. The brush that comes with this is surprisingly nice, though.

on 12/12/2016 1:56:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This is a really good palette. The colors are so soft and buttery, but there is quite a bit of fall out. The main point of my review is to get a few dupes out there for anyone that hasn't been able to get their hands on this..

Tempera is a light pinkish/cream color pretty close to many others. Booty call (naked 2) virgin (naked 1) crepe (lorac mega pro 3)..

Golden Ochre is a soft yellow toned brown. It's great in the crease. I don't have a dupe.

Vermeer is an almost exact dupe for sin from the UD Naked palette

Buon Fresco is very close to dusty muave (LMP3) and close to nooner (Naked 3)

Antique Bronze - MAC dark brew - Sequioa (LMP3)

Love Letter - No dupe for me

Cypress Umber - Espresso from the Lorac Pro

Raw Sienna - MAC saddle - Terracotta from LP3

Burnt Orange - Tawny (LMP 3) - Peanut Butter (TF Chocolate Bar Semi Sweet)

Primavera - Cava (LMP 3)

Red Ochre - no dupe - somewhat close to Goji LMP 2

Venetian Red - similar to rich berry from smashbox light it up blush palette

Warm Taupe - zone (UD gwen stefani) cool taupe (lorac 3)

Realgar - no dupes from me

So, all in all, the real stand outs of this palette are the reds and oranges. Love letter, red ochre and realgar were unique to my pretty neutral based collection. It makes for a good handful of different looks from this palette. The package says to discard after 6 months and I did notice that even with clean brushes these shadows seem to get bumps and grit in them. They are very loosely packed and make a dent pretty quickly.

I don't regret this palette in any way, I like it. It just fits that one little area of my collection that I don't have (cranberry, red and orange) and I reach for it when I am in the mood for that look. I do feel that the shadows are not very long wearing even with a primer. They sometimes muddy together and even fade. It is a solid palette and I would recommend it to true make up lovers that just love having the newest thing - but not a must have. (Not that you should take my word for it because obviously I HAD to have it)

This is my first Anastasia Palette and probably going to be my only. I was easily able to pass on the Mario Palette and if the trend keeps up that they raise the price and lower the amount of product, I can pass on all of the rest.

on 9/23/2016 5:12:00 PM

At first I adored this palette- the colours are perfect for summer, the buttery formula applied amazingly and the pigment...a whole nother level !!
My only hesitation though, (and something no one told me about), was the longevity of bright colour vibrancy- and the fade factor which occurs hours after. While each every shade is bright and vibrant upon application, they faded a significant amount in just a short period of time- (I'm talking 2hrs max here). Longevity is a major factor when it comes to product purchase and for this reason exactly I will not be buying this product again.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because I was mad at myself for missing out on the ABH Self Made palette, I'd decided that, come hell or high water, I would get her next palette as they are such a good value, price-wise. I really wanted for this to be a fabulous purchase for me but I decided to try it out in-store and there are just so many colours in it that absolutely do not work for me and actually make me look BAAAD - as though I've had a serious allergic reaction to something. Red Ochre, Venetian Red and Love Letter are the worst, along with Burnt Orange and Realgar, but several of the other shadows are also too orange/red based to be wearable for me! I already have enough of these types of colours in a bunch of KvD and UD Vice palettes and they are all untouched, so I hardly needed more. I'm sure these shades look fabulous on people with different colouring from mine and different eye colours but for me - no thanks. I also noticed, as I was trying this palette, that some of the shadows seemed to kick up a fair bit of powder. I thought it was because it was the store tester or that the SA at Sephora was being heavy-handed with her brushes but now, reading some of the earlier reviews, I see this is a common complaint. I'm glad I took the time to try it in-store to avoid a costly mistake.

on 6/9/2017 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I waited many months for this palette to be restocked at Sephora and was thrilled when it finally was! I previously bought the Mario palette by ABH and fell in love with their formula! Upon first use of Modern Renaissance I was disappointed. I usually have no problem if eye shadows have some kickback because those are usually the most pigmented shadows. However, this palette has kickback like no tomorrow. I feel like I'm wasting so much product whenever I dip my brush in because soooooo much of the product falls out. In the four months I have owned this palette I think I have only used it two or three times. I am also a huge fan of warm toned eye shadows but these just don't do it for me. The organgey shades turn up very similar on the eyes (which are the everyday colours) and I'm too scared to dip into the deeper colours because of the amount of fall out they produce! Not down to have bright red/pink shadow all over my cheeks!

I also HATE the packaging. This has to be one of the worst packaging for cosmetics I have ever seen (and I am a huge fan of anythink pink). But the velvet texture on the outside of the palette picks up EVERYTHING and will not come off. This is especially problematic since there is so much kickback in the eye shadows and it all just stick to the outside of the palette making it look really dirty and gross.

I seriously do not understand why this palette is so overrated. I may have enjoyed it more if I did not go in with such high expectations. It is an okay palette that I will use a few times a year, but no where near a holy grail product that is in constant use.

Unfortunately the Mario palette (my fav) is no longer available, but my current favourite palette that is in stock is the Tartelette In Bloom palette by tarte, it's the perfect palette from day to night!

on 12/5/2016 3:06:00 PM

If I could give this 100 lippies, I would. ABH really hit it out of the park with their first permanent palette. I feel that a lot of thought and work went into making this the standout palette of recent memory, perhaps since the Naked palette came out. It is beautifully organized and curated, each shade being exceptional. This is the only palette I own where I want to work with every single shade. There isn't a dud in this palette- every color has a rightful and deserved place. Every shade is pigmented, blendable, and gorgeous, and many are highly unique. It has a mix of mattes and shimmers, a range of light to deep shades, so creating complete looks is easy using this one palette. You have cream, champagne, pinks and reds, taupe, oranges, a beautiful mauve-y lavender, a deep dark chocolate, a unique yellow-ish shade with a slight satin shimmer (Golden ochre), a warm sienna... Good enough to eat, seriously. You can easily do natural, everyday looks for work, soft, romantic looks for date night, and dramatic, sexy looks for going out or parties. I rarely rave about a product but this is my absolute, hands down favorite palette of life.

The drawbacks aren't drawbacks for me, but here they are: If you like pops of bright color in your palettes, this isn't for you. No neons or brights in here. Also, the shadow formula is quite soft, so you will get some kick-up in the pan and maybe some fall-out if you go in with a lot of product at once. I haven't had a problem, though, and these blend and transition like a dream. Also, it is very warm toned and has a definite color scheme that makes it best for warmer skin tones. It will compliment dark hair and green, hazel, or brown eyes better than blonde hair and blue eyes (not that everyone can't use it!)

But when it comes right down to it, this palette is as close to perfection as I've seen. Every time I do a look with it, I get compliments and have a great makeup day. It has a permanent place in my collection, forever.