Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.2

on 7/5/2018 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure

This palette was my first to ever buy. After seeing the positive reviews on YouTube, I purchased this and it does not disappoint. It is my go-to when all my other palettes fail me (I have about 7 other palettes now) but this one is my tried and true. The shadows blend so effortlessly and there is no separation though the colors work well together and does not turn to mud. The color scheme is genius and the colors complement eachother so well. This is my work palette and a lot of times, I have no clue what look I'm going for from one day to the next but due to the symmetry of the pallete and the color scheme, it doesn't take me long to whip up a perfect look each time. I believe this palette to be beginner friendly. If you are new to makeup, try this palette.

I am so so late to the Modern Renaissance bandwagon, but I have hopped on it hard, lol. I bought this about 6 months ago and use it a lot. They are super soft shadows, and a little goes a long way, and they are super easy to blend! Even the scary bright pinks are not scary, they blend like a dream. I can do so many looks! Just the oranges! Oranges and browns! Cool with the light pinks! Let's do reds! If I'm feeling uninspired, I reach for this because any look I do turns out great.

I got this on sale at Ulta, you can use your 20% off coupon on it- but even if you paid $42 for it, it's totally worth it. The packaging is okay, I can see that it would get dirty easily, but mine hasn't.

I highly recommend this, the hype is real with this product.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Absolutely nothing but positive things to say about this palette. That being said, I wouldn’t say it was my go-to eyeshadow palette for everyday makeup looks, on account of it being super intense, but I definitely reach for it when I want some serious eye drama. Richly pigmented, gorgeous shades, buttery soft and super blendable...., everything you want from a quality eyeshadow palette. Worth every penny! 👌🏼

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I really love these colours. They are absolutely gorgeous. Despite being oft-imitated, this is the still the best out of all the red-based palettes I've tried. The only reason I deducted a lippie is that some of the shadows do have fallout and I don't find the oranges to be quite as blendable as I'd like. Other than that, I have no complaints and I'd still buy this again.

on 2/10/2018 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Price-$42.00 which I think is a great price for this palette. I LOVE this palette! A LOT! I would definitely repurchase
I'm not sure why some of the reviews here on MUA are so bad but on Influenster it has 4.89 based on 19,874 reviews. That's pretty darn high.

14 shades include (descriptions from Ulta website):
• Tempera (velvety beige w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Golden Ochre (earthy yellow w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Vermeer (iridescent shell w/ a metallic finish)
• Buon Fresco (antique lavender w/ an ultra- matte finish)
• Antique Bronze (metallic sable w/ a satin finish)
• Love Letter (raspberry w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Cyprus Umber (dark coffee w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Raw Sienna (neutral amber w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Burnt Orange (deep orange w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Primavera (shimmery gold dust w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Red Ochre (sienna w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Venetian Red (crimson w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Warm Taupe (earthy gray w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Realgar (brick w/ an ultra-matte finish)

It comes with a double ended brush one end to apply the shadows and one end to blend. It’s actually a pretty decent brush and I use it sometimes. The palette is sturdy, has a magnetic closure works well, the names of the colors are on each color, which I really appreciate but it has the suede type of material that will get dirty easily. One of my other favorite palettes has the same material, my It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Vol I. I put both of these palettes back in the box when I am finished using them and they are stay clean but if you toss them in your makeup drawer out of the box, they will get nasty looking over time.

I absolutely love this pallet and almost all the colors in it. I can create so many different looks and the colors all look so nice with each other. I really love golden ochre, I’m going to run out of it first because I usually start with it as my transition color and I use it when I use other palettes too. I don’t find they have anymore fallout than any other mattes. The formula is silky, so smooth and they are well pigmented. One color, the darkest, Cypress Umber is insanely pigmented and soft. I mean you really have to just barely touch it with your brush then tap it off or it can be a bit hard to work with if you didn’t want a really it to be that dark where you apply it. I use it mostly with a push brush to tight line my upper lashes and sometimes very sparingly on the outer corner. One good thing about these is that the shades are very buildable but also very blendable and moveable, so if you get too much you can blend with a good brush and all will be well.

I like every color in this pallet. I wish they were all available as singles but only 3 of them are available, warm taupe, burnt orange (which I already have) and buon fresco.

I don’t find that any of them oxidize and they apply so easily and blend like a dream. Less is more with these. It just takes a little and I tap, tap tap. If applied and blended right, and you take your time, they never look muddy and look so beautiful on the eyes. I had really not expected to love this as much as I do but on days I don’t use it and use something else, I’m still wanting to grab it and use it. I can do a soft, everyday look with the lighter shades or if I wanted to, I could go crazy and do a super bold look (which I rarely do). I love all of the red & cranberry tones, none of them give me that sick pink red eye look. I usually use them only on the outer corner but have used them on the lid blending until they are sheerer. The 2 shimmers can be kind of hard to work with. Once you apply, if you add more, it removes the first application, they are hard to build up unless you wet your brush, then they are very intense.

The possibilities are many and they always look nice and not over done for an every day look. I use buon fresco a lot as transition and on the lid when I want a cooler toned look. It looks pretty as a transition shade with Vermeer on the lid and love letter on the outer corner and on the outer part of the crease then blended very slightly into the rest of the crease fading toward inner part of the crease. A simple understated ever day look.

I definitely understand the hype over this palette and this time I think it is well deserved. The colors are all beautiful, silky smooth, blend seamlessly and last all day long. I would take this over any of the Naked palettes any day due to their lack of mattes.

on 12/24/2017 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really didn't have much interest in this all year, mostly because I went crazy this year and have purchased at least 10 or 12 palettes(shameful!)... I picked it up this week on sale, and really am pleased with it...the shades are buttery, pigmented, and there are a lot of looks that can be created. It's a nice addition to my collection, and I definitely recommend... I really want to give it 3.5 stars just based on packaging alone lol, but I really can't because the shadows are fab .. I do love Anastasia products, but man their packaging is so cheap looking, especially for the price..I expect Morphe or Colour Pop to have cheap packaging based on their price point... No one beats Tarte for beautiful/luxe packaging.

on 12/10/2017 6:07:00 AM

This has got to be the worst high end eye shadow palette I've bought to date!
Even my low end, drugstore eye shadows from WnW rival this crappy palette.
Some of you may remember the awful negativity surrounding the Subculture palette and how much kick up was made by barely tapping your brush into that palette and how there was a quality control issue and how some stores were accepting returns and exchanges for the Subculture palette due to the poor, crappy quality of Subculture.
Well, the MR palette I have is the same crappy quality as the Subculture one was. I suspect I may have gotten one of the first produced palettes that were mass produced by Anastasia when the Modern Renaissance palette was first released and looking at reviews on here I can only assume I'm not the only one who has this observation as well.
The kick up from the eye shadows is just awful. I just barely tap my brush into one of the pans and I get a whole lot of kick up of eye shadow. I literally feel like I'm blowing my money away when I blow off the palette after I'm done using it due to the excess kick up..
I've watched many You Tube videos where the person puts their brush into the shadows and no excess product is kicked up and some of them are tapping pretty hard into their palette yet there's no excess kick up like i get. Which is why I believe there's definitely a quality issue with some of these palettes.
I also hate the fact that Love Letter and Venetian Red are so similar, you can't even tell a difference between the 2 colours once they're one the eyes.
The shadows blend into a hideous, muddy mess when I try and blend them together, they don't last very long at all and fade quite quickly even when properly priming my eyes which is something that should not be happening given the price point of this palette. Some of them are hard to blend and literally stay where you put them so you end up having to blend way too much for awhile, such effort should not be had, again, given the price of this palette (Love Letter, Venetian Red), yet some of them blend well enough but also blend into nothingness or into a muddy mess (Golden Ochre, Burnt Orange).
I bought my palette from Macy's so I doubt I got a fake unless someone returned a palette that was a fake and Macy's put it back out on the floor.
The colours in here are so gorgeous and they look amazing against my grey eyes and pale skin but the quality for me and my experience surrounding it has been less than some of the other reviewers on here.
I really do think I got a shoddy palette that should not have made it out for purchase, I think the quality of my palette is the same quality as the first produced palettes from the Subculture release that a lot of other people seemed to have issues with.
I will be looking into affordable dupes for this palette for sure (Beauty Creations one comes to mind).
I do have the UD Naked Heat palette and its quality is far superior than the MR palette but not quite a spot on colour dupe for the MR palette.
I feel pretty upset that I seemed to have gotten a dud amongst all the other people raving about this palette on here but I see a couple reviews that are also questioning the quality of their palette since they seemed to have possibly gotten a poor quality palette, same as me.
I decided tonight would be the last time I wore this horrendous palette ever again after coming home and seeing how awful my shadows had faded and how they all had faded into a muddy mess on my eyes. I tried to give this palette a chance, perhaps too many chances and I'm done. The only redeeming quality from this palette is the brush. It will be the one thing I won't be throwing into the bin.

on 8/11/2017 9:28:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

The quality of these eyeshadows is outstanding. They blend beautifully and last on my lids longer than most eyeshadows. Very impressive actually. Usually my eyeshadow only lasts about 6-8 hrs but this eyeshadow can last hours longer. I do feel like a couple of the red shades are too similar. Also the price per gram is very high.

on 7/24/2017 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

One of the few eyeshadow palettes that I would repurchase, I love it that much. The shadows are all so highly pigmented, buttery and blend like a dream. This can look a bit scarey as there are deep reds and dark bright pinks and oranges, but they go together beautifully even for me - and I'm 51. The pinks can be bold, or blended out. The two shimmers are an excellent formula and last on the eyelid until removed. An amazing palette and well worth the hype.

on 7/21/2017 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hands down, best palette I own (and I have many!) For the longest time I really didn't see the hype with this palette. I had bought one as a Christmas gift and decided to give in to the hype and pick one up for myself. I am glad I did!

First off, the hype around this palette is well deserved. The color payoff and pigmentation is incredible. The shadows are soft & buttery and practically blend themselves. Every color in this palette is usable for all kinds of looks......from neutral, every-day to more dramatic. Goes from lights to neutrals to darks, mattes to shimmers---all equally pigmented & blendable .

The packaging is gorgeous, as well---I ranked it 4/5 only because the suede cover is a magnet for eyeshadow dust and could get really dirty, very quickly. I'm careful with it and love it all the same.

My ONLY regret with this palette is that I did not buy it sooner.