Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by age: 30-35
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

I really really wanted to love this product however all the hype it had just left me so disappointed. For the amount of hype this product had I thought it would be a God send but nope it was just absolutely horrendous for me. Now I love and support ABH I think they have a great line of everything and their other eyeshadows are great, I know that red shadows are very hard to formulate so I get why there is so much fallout. My issue is that these colors faded way too quickly for me, I could have used it glue as a primer and they would still fade. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Price point wise it is a great value, tons of shadows that come out to about 4.08 per shadow. Price is reasonable but that's it. Packaging is meh and gets dirty super quick. I don't know this palette was just not for me, I love seeing the looks everyone else makes with these and I wish it worked for me but unfortunately no cigar.

on 8/9/2016 6:58:00 AM

I'm not being paid to review for these brands so I'm not going to sugar coat it. I will warn you that there is a lot of hype about this palette that is borderline *over sensationalised*, aka similar to the peach palette by Too Faced. All I'll say is before you run out and buy this know the facts and what you're actually buying before you dish out the cashola,

For me it's a real love hate relationship with this palette.

First off the bat: The colours are beautiful and romantic. The soft reds and buttery browns are dreamy and look sensational. Also the blendability of the colours is fantastic.

However........

The biggest con of them all: a lot of these shadows contain CARMINE. Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a Vegan cosmetic company, so watch out! Now I didn't know this before I purchased the palette (which I'm annoyed because I only buy Vegan brands with cruelty free practices. I assumed this company was, but I was wrong). After using this palette for a week I found out the hard way that it was not a Vegan product. Yes the colours are lovely and the powder is so very finely milled...but the eye shadows dried and irritated my eyelids *that badly* that I was left with scaly, dry, irritated lids after a week of using these shades every day. I use Urban Decay, Too Faced, even cheapo Makeup Revolution and have never had a reaction like this palette has given me. Hello red, itchy dermititis eyelid hell. No more eye shadows for me at the moment. Some of the shadows do have carmine in them, and that's a well known eye irritant (so yeah sure why not chuck that in an eye shadow *rolls eyes*). Anyway heads up to the sensitive peeps and the Vegan peeps out there.

Also the fallout is something shocking. Even stroking the brush on the shadows causes an avalanche of powder to spill everywhere. You have been warned.

The packaging is like Urban Decay's Naked palette, that velvet case thing. Honestly I would like a tin, I mean I paid enough for a tin at the very least? Surely? And don't get me started with the cheapest nastiest brush that ever existed that is included with this palette. At least Urban Decay have nice brushes. The one in the Modern Renaissance is actually insulting. Sometimes it's better to not include something if its the same quality as a synthetic paint brush from the dollar store. Just sayin....

The colours may be nice but considering the horrible carmine irritation and fallout and the fact that Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a animal cruelty free company, I can't recommend this, Or say it's great. Just no.

Le sigh.

on 1/5/2017 1:41:00 PM

This palette is some kind of beautiful, it's true. The colour selection is rich and warm and cohesive and awesome. The eye shadows are soft and creamy and incredibly pigmented, and they blend really exceptionally well.

I have a couple of main gripes though. My top gripe is that these eye shadows crease and fade noticeably more on me than other formulas, both drugstore and high end. No matter which eye primer I use, my eye look is pretty messed a few hours later. :/ So if you're prone to creasing and fading, I would not recommend this palette.

Second gripe: the blender end of the eye shadow brush is total scratchy trash. They could at least put something usable in there.

Two other gripes: you don't get a lot of product in this palette compared to many other palettes of a similar price, and you get a lot of powder kick-up in the pan when you put your brush in there.

So I have mixed feelings about this palette, but I won't repurchase and I can't recommend this to others due to the creasing. Oh well! :/

UPDATE: Any eye shadow look I do with these shadows starts to fade and crease instantly and it totally creased and messed within a couple hours. What is the point of wearing it then? Definite regret! I removed another lippie from my overall rating.

on 8/12/2016 4:52:00 PM

I really wanted to love this palette, all the great reviews and looks I had seen with it. I debated getting it cause I already have the Violet Voss Holly Grail Palette but there were several yellow and warm brown colors this palette has the Violet Voss does not so I got it. i tried several times to give this palette another shot but the quality is probably the worst of any palette I own and I own many drugstore and pro palettes. The matte colors that I bought the palette for are so chalky and have so much fall out. Maybe because I got the Violet Voss first that i expect it to live up to that one. I just was so disappointed by the quality of the shadows and do not see the hype of this palette. I would not recommend it to anyone. I do not own any other ABH palettes to compare it to.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Okay so this palette is probably the hardest item of makeup I’ve ever had to review. The shades are very pretty. I bought it mostly as I love warm browns nudes golds & red tones. The packaging is very pretty but I have seen so many Youtubers whose palette looks very dirty so I’m very very careful with mine (I can’t bear dirty looking make up) to avoid fingerprints I tend to open it & put the palette down & use another mirror so I’m not holding it while doing my eyes. I would highly recommend keeping the cardboard sleeve to protect it.
The formula is in my opinion not as nice as the urban decay eyeshadow palettes. But the colours are very lovely. I don’t like Cypress Umber very much I think it looks a little patchy & muddy on me no matter how much I blend. I do like this palette but just don’t get the hype. Yes the colours are lovely and you can achieve some lovely looks but I don’t find myself reaching for it nearly as often as my Urban decay palettes Naked 3 & Heat. The brush is okay the denser side is lovely but the blending side is a little scratchy. I really wanted to love this palette. I like it but it isn’t love. I probably would re purchase as I do like most of the shades but really dislike golden ochre & cypress umber as feel they make me look like my face is dirty.

on 2/8/2018 2:56:00 PM

Do you like cranberry eyeshadow?

Do you like warm midtone mattes? And appreciate a bunch all in one place?

I can see why this palette has mass appeal. But I swear this is the most overhyped thing..

There's two shimmers and one satin shade. The rest are matte. If you appreciate shimmers in a palette (and I do) be forewarned these SUCK!

All the work was put into the matte shades and the shimmers just seemed like a gratuitous add on w no thought in quality what-so-ever. They blended away if applied dry. They needed to be applied wet (NEEDED to be applied wet) just to show up at all. Then if you wanted to build them up-- impossible. The second layer took off the first layer. So annoying!!

Tempura, the satin shade was better in quality compared to the gold and champagne shimmer shade (names escape me). And that's not to mention they're literally the same kind of shades found in every palette ever-- a pale gold and a pinky/peachy toned champagne reminiscent of UD sin... yawn.

No black and one deepish toned warm brown-- so to add depth to any look you are confined to Cyprus umber-- so that doesn't leave a lot of versatility-- it isn't that deep of a shade and again, there's only one shade like that. I hated having to reach for it to deepen up every single last look bc the end result was just always the same.

I couldn't get inspired to use this palette. I would try to make neutral looks. None of the mattes seemed to work on the lid-- the shimmers were unusable. So it's like I'd put tempura on the lid--- try to add some dimension w the mattes. Or foil the shimmers to make them usable. It was always more work than it was worth. Instead of 2-3 shades I'd reach for 6 shades just to make something look cohesive and dimensional. Then they'd all just end up blending together. The shadows didn't fade, but they just blended. I never felt like I had a good makeup day when I tried it.

I returned it just under the 60 days and I was so grateful I didn't wind up keeping it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Edit 10/17/18 I’m not sure if my palette expired or if I misremembered it, but using it now, I do not love it. I blend shades on my eye and they muddy together, fade, and generally look terrible. The only shade that I still like is antique bronze. That one is gorgeous all over the lid. I had decided to pan this, but I hated every day with it. So I’m going to declutter if it. So either this expired really fast, in which case too expensive to replace that often, or I misremember how well the looks lasted. Either way, I don’t use this anymore and lowered my rating from 5 to 3.

In recent years I have significantly limited the number of eyeshadow palettes I have purchased. My rule is I have to like and use every color in the palette. Frequently I'll love one shade and want to buy a palette for that. For this one, I really wanted Red Ochre. But then I started wanting more shades and found myself trying to purchase and dupe several shades. Finally I admitted to myself it would be cheaper to just buy the palette. So about March of this year I finally bit the bullet and got it. I love this palette. This has been so useful. I am shocked at how well it works for every day looks. I love the brighter reds to warm up the crease or transform other shades to make it interesting. I love that there are several shades that are one and done on the lid. I love that it has a good browbone shade and a liner shade. The two shimmery shades are a classic pink and gold and both are amazing. The orange is soooo fun to work with!! This palette has everything and I don't need to reach for other palettes to complete looks, which I love. I could use this every day.
My cons are that the velvet can get messy. I treat this palette very carefully because you can't really clean it. Also, the shades are very powdery. I only ever dab my brush into the palette. When I keep application very soft I don't get fall out. But you can easily have a mess. I've never dropped this palette but I'm afraid to test how fragile it is. So I'd love to take it traveling but I'm afraid to lest it be shattered.
I do have the subculture palette. And I have to say that I don't think subculture is any more powdery. I'm waiting to try a few more looks before I review that one, but so far I love it. I personally am applying both palettes the same way (very delicately because they are exceedingly soft shadows) and I have had no issues blending.
Over all, if I were talking to someone who has some experience with makeup and likes to play, I would definitely recommend Modern Renaissance. I have several sisters and a mother who only use very traditional eyeshadow and I would never recommend this to them. None of them would have the slightest idea of how to use it. This palette is not for everyone, but I do think it's for anyone bothering to read reviews on Makeup Alley.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

love love this pallette has a bit of kick up but pigmented and bendable long lasting go quality .I will not be dropping 60$ on the subculture pallette with all the "drama" surrounding it,I've found a dupe for the subculture not all the shades but one can get all the shades when the colors are mixed , the dupe is NYX. olive you pallette and it cost only 22$.sorry ABH.

on 4/5/2017 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my first palette from AOBH. I wanted to try something a bit more different than the everyday nudes I wear, like the Urban Decay Naked 2 & Naked Basics, respectfully. The quality of the pigmentation is impressive. I find the product similar to NARS shadows. Although, I really don't like the felt packaging. I feel that as soon as I put pallette in my makeup case, it's going to get so disgusting.The Buon Fresco, Primavera, Vermier and Antique bronze are absolutely stunning. However, I highly doubt I will ever wear Love Letter and Venetian Red. Overall, this is a great buy for those who is looking for something a little more adventurous and really likes to play up the eye.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I am probably one of 5 people on earth who didn't like this palette. I wanted it so bad too! I didn't mind the powder consistency. It swatches great. I just felt like it moved around after I put it on, if that makes sense. I would try a look and the colors would migrate. I didn't find the formula that impressive. It was very pigmented and a good color selection. I wanted the oranges and pinks still, and ended up getting the Tarte Pro. I find that to be much better!

With all that being said, I have several friends that adore this palette!