Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by age: 30-35
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.1

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I do really love this palette. The shades are what drew me to the palette. There are nice cool and warm tones. However, the red and pink shades are very dry, chalky and powdery. They are beautiful colors which is a real shame. The shades this happens with is Love Letter, Venetian Red and Red Ochre. I've not had a problem with the rest of the shades. I can create really light or heavy eye looks with this.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Okay so this palette is probably the hardest item of makeup I’ve ever had to review. The shades are very pretty. I bought it mostly as I love warm browns nudes golds & red tones. The packaging is very pretty but I have seen so many Youtubers whose palette looks very dirty so I’m very very careful with mine (I can’t bear dirty looking make up) to avoid fingerprints I tend to open it & put the palette down & use another mirror so I’m not holding it while doing my eyes. I would highly recommend keeping the cardboard sleeve to protect it.
The formula is in my opinion not as nice as the urban decay eyeshadow palettes. But the colours are very lovely. I don’t like Cypress Umber very much I think it looks a little patchy & muddy on me no matter how much I blend. I do like this palette but just don’t get the hype. Yes the colours are lovely and you can achieve some lovely looks but I don’t find myself reaching for it nearly as often as my Urban decay palettes Naked 3 & Heat. The brush is okay the denser side is lovely but the blending side is a little scratchy. I really wanted to love this palette. I like it but it isn’t love. I probably would re purchase as I do like most of the shades but really dislike golden ochre & cypress umber as feel they make me look like my face is dirty.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

All in all, it is a great eyeshadow palette. The colours are all warm and in right now. Great pigmentation

on 2/23/2018 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've owned this palette for a about a year now but I've only recently started using it regularly. The reason being that this is the first palette I ever purchased and I was utterly clueless about how to properly apply eyeshadow!

Countless YouTube videos and tutorials later, I've finally learned how to blend and what works for me and let me tell you, this palette makes it so much easier. The shades are blendable and mostly smooth and the warm colours are gorgeous on my dark brown eyes.

I also love that you can get a neutral look or really vamp it up depending on which shades you use. Therefore I find myself reaching for this palette almost everyday and it's my all-time favourite Sephora purchase!

I took off one lippie because of the packaging - I wish the palette had a magnetic closure or something, so I could travel with it. I also wish the body of the palette wasn't in pink velour-type material because it gets soooooo dirty. Also, the brush that comes with it is meh.. but that's to be expected I suppose!

on 2/8/2018 2:56:00 PM

Do you like cranberry eyeshadow?

Do you like warm midtone mattes? And appreciate a bunch all in one place?

I can see why this palette has mass appeal. But I swear this is the most overhyped thing..

There's two shimmers and one satin shade. The rest are matte. If you appreciate shimmers in a palette (and I do) be forewarned these SUCK!

All the work was put into the matte shades and the shimmers just seemed like a gratuitous add on w no thought in quality what-so-ever. They blended away if applied dry. They needed to be applied wet (NEEDED to be applied wet) just to show up at all. Then if you wanted to build them up-- impossible. The second layer took off the first layer. So annoying!!

Tempura, the satin shade was better in quality compared to the gold and champagne shimmer shade (names escape me). And that's not to mention they're literally the same kind of shades found in every palette ever-- a pale gold and a pinky/peachy toned champagne reminiscent of UD sin... yawn.

No black and one deepish toned warm brown-- so to add depth to any look you are confined to Cyprus umber-- so that doesn't leave a lot of versatility-- it isn't that deep of a shade and again, there's only one shade like that. I hated having to reach for it to deepen up every single last look bc the end result was just always the same.

I couldn't get inspired to use this palette. I would try to make neutral looks. None of the mattes seemed to work on the lid-- the shimmers were unusable. So it's like I'd put tempura on the lid--- try to add some dimension w the mattes. Or foil the shimmers to make them usable. It was always more work than it was worth. Instead of 2-3 shades I'd reach for 6 shades just to make something look cohesive and dimensional. Then they'd all just end up blending together. The shadows didn't fade, but they just blended. I never felt like I had a good makeup day when I tried it.

I returned it just under the 60 days and I was so grateful I didn't wind up keeping it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Modern Renaissance contains fourteen shadows in a mix of eleven mattes, one satin and two metallics; Tempera [Velvety beige with an ultra-matte finish], Golden Ochre [Earthy yellow with an ultra-matte finish], Vermeer [Iridescent shell with a metallic finish], Buon Fresco [Antique lavender with an ultra-matte finish], Antique Bronze [Metallic sable with a satin finish], Love Letter [Raspberry with an ultra-matte finish], Cyprus Umber [Dark coffee with an ultra-matte finish], Realgar [Brick with an ultra-matte finish], Warm Taupe [Earthy gray with an ultra-matte finish], Venetian Red [Crimson with an ultra-matte finish], Red Ochre [Sienna with an ultra-matte finish], Primavera [shimmery gold dust with a metallic finish], Burnt Orange [deep orange with an ultra-matte finish] and Raw Sienna [neutral amber with an ultra-matte finish]. You also get a double-ended brush, with is surprisingly high quality and is something that I regularly use [The shades Burnt Orange, Buon Fresco and Warm Taupe can be brought as individual shadows, and the other eleven shades can only be found in this palette].

This palette caught my eye because it is full of warm shades that will keep me happy all-year round and for every occasion; the matte to shimmer ratio is very practical, there are plenty of safer more 'everyday' neutral shades, but there are lovely bolder colour pops too, in my favourite shadow shades [pinky reds and orange]. The shadows all have fantastic pigmentation, everything is easy to blend & build up, and there's no heavy shimmer/glitter that doesn't adhere to skin and goes everywhere, plus everything is crease & fade resistant. I've not had any issues with shades muddying together or oxidizing to feedback - I believe those problems are being caused by people applying too much product and/or overblending the soft shadows. Speaking of soft shadow; there is kick-up with most of the shades in this palette when I dip my brushes into the pans, but that is something that never really bothers me as long as the powders apply and perform well, which these do.

I can't think of any complaints or niggles with Modern Renaissance - it's the very few "mad raves" cosmetic products I've tried that has lived up to it's hype for me. I've been strict and removed a lippie as you only get 8g of product in this palette, which is very stingy considering the £43 price tag.

Simply Amazing quality! The slightest dip in the pan can paint your entire eyelid, and SO blendable as well!! I can blend these shadows in around 5 mins, which helps a LOT when you're getting ready for work. The only fault is that I dislike the two pink shadows (love letter and Venetian red). I simply dislike their shades. And there's only one shadow that really gives dimension to the look (deep matte brown). But I'm not about to give it less than 5* because the overall quality is above everything else on the market. That's right - there's this palette and everything else as far as eyemakeup falls under second category.

People who critique the packaging tend to forget they get an awesome double-ended brush in the palette. This brush should account for the packaging and not the velvety cover!

Buy this if you don't mind the reds, and if you do mind them (like me) simply get some single eyeshadows that have depth (deep browns, purples, dark duochromes etc..). But buy Modern Reneissance anyway :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

In recent years I have significantly limited the number of eyeshadow palettes I have purchased. My rule is I have to like and use every color in the palette. Frequently I'll love one shade and want to buy a palette for that. For this one, I really wanted Red Ochre. But then I started wanting more shades and found myself trying to purchase and dupe several shades. Finally I admitted to myself it would be cheaper to just buy the palette. So about March of this year I finally bit the bullet and got it. I love this palette. This has been so useful. I am shocked at how well it works for every day looks. I love the brighter reds to warm up the crease or transform other shades to make it interesting. I love that there are several shades that are one and done on the lid. I love that it has a good browbone shade and a liner shade. The two shimmery shades are a classic pink and gold and both are amazing. The orange is soooo fun to work with!! This palette has everything and I don't need to reach for other palettes to complete looks, which I love. I could use this every day.
My cons are that the velvet can get messy. I treat this palette very carefully because you can't really clean it. Also, the shades are very powdery. I only ever dab my brush into the palette. When I keep application very soft I don't get fall out. But you can easily have a mess. I've never dropped this palette but I'm afraid to test how fragile it is. So I'd love to take it traveling but I'm afraid to lest it be shattered.
I do have the subculture palette. And I have to say that I don't think subculture is any more powdery. I'm waiting to try a few more looks before I review that one, but so far I love it. I personally am applying both palettes the same way (very delicately because they are exceedingly soft shadows) and I have had no issues blending.
Over all, if I were talking to someone who has some experience with makeup and likes to play, I would definitely recommend Modern Renaissance. I have several sisters and a mother who only use very traditional eyeshadow and I would never recommend this to them. None of them would have the slightest idea of how to use it. This palette is not for everyone, but I do think it's for anyone bothering to read reviews on Makeup Alley.

on 6/23/2017 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I can't see when I'd ever run out of this palette to warrant a repurchase, but if for some reason that happened, then I would. It's just so beautiful and all the colours work together and there are a lot of looks that you can make from the shade selection. Really beautiful formula, definitely for intermediate makeup users (I'm a beginner) as the learning curve is slightly steep using these colours and formula - but I am always happy to play and learn. Beautiful palette.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

love love this pallette has a bit of kick up but pigmented and bendable long lasting go quality .I will not be dropping 60$ on the subculture pallette with all the "drama" surrounding it,I've found a dupe for the subculture not all the shades but one can get all the shades when the colors are mixed , the dupe is NYX. olive you pallette and it cost only 22$.sorry ABH.