Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.6

on 12/1/2018 11:01:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Love this palette!

As a neutral-warm toned person with grey eyes who loooooves orange, there are a lot of great shades for me. I can do daytime, evening, and party looks with this. The only shades I don’t touch often are “Vermeer” and “Buon Fresco”, they make me look a bit dead. I kind of wish that “Love Letter” and “Venetian Red” were one shade, because they look almost identical on the eye. A deep plum would be a great addition to this palette!

Excellent for people starting their makeup collection, but maybe not necessary if you already have a lot of warm neutrals. Packaging is pretty, but will get dirty. I wouldn’t buy this palette again, but only because when I finish with it I would rather make a custom palette.

The brush: just ok. It’s kind of scratchy.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is a great neutral palette that also offers up a wide variety of color to play around with. You can create many neutral, warm reds, cooler berry tones, and orange looks and every shade plays well with each other. You can blindly stick your brush into any shade and you will still have a cohesive look. I've used almost every colour combo and none of them blend muddy like some of the other ABH palettes. I love how I can use this everyday because it's so pigmented you only need a small amount of product and even the brighter shades tone down to be work/school appropriate.

I've only found a few drawbacks:
- Cyprus Umber (the dark brown shade) is the most prone to patchiness but built up slowly with a light hand it looks fine.
- Primavera (gold shimmer) is not opaque like the other two shimmers. It applies as a very loose smattering of gold sparkles.
- these shadows will fade and crease. I do not have oily lids and this is the first time I've ever had to prime my eyes
- this palette has a shorter life span than average. Many people have reported after two years it becomes unusable so unless you're planning on regularly using this I would maybe choose a different product

on 7/22/2018 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

After ages of seeing everyone use this palette I finally decided to take the plunge and get one for myself. The eyeshadows are everything that people described them as: soft, highly pigmented, and easy to blend. Initially I found the soft nature of the shadows a little difficult to work with, as I tend to be heavy-handed. Learning to pick them up gently to avoid fallout took some practice for me. Each of these shades is beautiful and applies well. Not a single one is subpar. They are all long lasting, although a couple of shades may slightly fade by the end of the day. The shade Buon Fresco will fade even with primer, although it is still not much. Also unlike many other palettes that provide brushes, the double-ended brush in the Modern Renaissance palette is actually useable. My only complaint about this palette is the cover of the packaging. While the velvet cover looks pretty when you open your palette for the first time, it gets messy very quickly. After a week of using it I was already finding cat hair collecting on it, so expect other things to also catch on it. My one complaint aside, I absolutely adore this palette. I have used it nearly every day since getting it six months ago to the point of almost neglecting my other palettes. While $42 is not cheap for a palette, this one is a product I am happy to splurge on.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This was my first ever eyeshadow palette. I was fortunate to receive it as a birthday gift.
I don't think I have one bad thing to say about it. The colors are so beautifully formulated and easy to work with. The blend like butter and the pigmentation is fantastic. I love the color scheme so much as well. I'm able to get tons of different looks out of this one palette.
I've purchased a few more palettes since getting this one, but this one's still my favorite.

on 5/29/2018 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am late to the Modern Renaissance craze , but I am glad I finally purchased this palette. Love Letter and Venetian Red are unique colors that I did not previously own, and my favorite of this palette. I love velvet, but the packaging gets dirty very easily. I just take a makeup wipe to clean it and that works to get it clean. The shadows are extremely powdery, even if you dip your brush in lightly , excess powder still kicks up, mixing into the nearby shades, making the mirror constantly dirty when you close the palette. The brush I actually like. The crease side does feel scratchy and rough , but it does apply the eyeshadow just fine .

Holy Grail pallet at the moment...I'm so in love. I've already created multiple looks with this. My favorite colors in the pallet so far are primavera and burnt orange...but I can create tons of looks with all the colors. They're easily blendable and very pigmented. I would describe the texture as velvety...definently not chalky at all. Whatever you do dip the brush in the eyeshadow.DO NOT SWIPE!!! Only concern i have is the fallout. Now let's talk packaging. I love it but it's velvet so I'm so scared to leave it out of the box because I have very furry animals and their hair sticks to everything. Anyway I swear by the pallet and it's definitely a staple in my collection.

on 4/12/2018 11:22:00 PM

My relationship with ABH eyeshadows has been an iffy one. The quality is great. Packaging average. Price too high, imo. There are so many amazing dupes now, I can't justify the price. The color selection is nice, but incredibly common. I've purchased 3 ABH palettes. I've returned them all. Not bc they are bad but because they don't blow me away for the price tag. I think they are worth a try if the price doesn't bother you. If you ballin' on a budget, get a dupe. I like the Makeup Revolution and WetnWild dupes.

Pros:
Pretty variety of colors
Decent brush included
Sturdy packaging
Great pigment and quality
Cons:
Packaging gets dirty easy
Easily duped
A good bit of fallout (doesn't bother me tho)

I'd give it a 3.5. Nice but not mind blowing.

I bought this palette when it first released, not realizing how hyped it was. I usually wait for reviews before buying but hey, there were red eye shadows and that was enough to grab my attention.
First off, the packaging is a miss. I like the light pink but the velvet like texture gets dirty fast. It's not the easiest to clean either.
Second, the brush was a miss. The smaller shadow brush is fine. It's soft, works well enough. But the fluffier blending side is so scratchy. It's not even usable! I like getting brushes with palettes if they are good. In this case I say drop the brush and knock off a couple bucks to the price tag.
Lastly, the shadow quality is good. The shimmers are not as intense and metallic as I prefer. In a lot of youtube tutorials you see people foiling them with setting spray to get maximum payoff. The mattes are better. Smooth and pigmented. I usually bring in another palette to use with this one because I do like more shimmer/metallic lid shades.
There are complaints about fallout since the shadows are soft. I do my eye shadow first, base makeup last, so I wipe off any fallout and it's not a problem.
I've had this since the first release and have pan on 5 shades. I like it. Would I repurchase? At this point there are a million red and berry toned palettes. Honestly, if/when I finish this I'd try a different brand. If this palette is your ideal color scheme I do think you will like it.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

Believe the hype for this one!

When I first got it, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to use this on an everyday basis, however it's a lot more versatile than I originally thought. These are honestly some of the best eyeshadows I've ever used. They're extremely creamy and pigmented- lightly dipping your brush into the pan is usually sufficient. They apply so smoothly and blend seamlessly- they pretty much do the work for you! Every single shade in this palette is beautiful. I'm really happy that red tones are a thing.

My favorite color in this palette is Antique Bronze- it's so unique and absolutely stunning. I get tons of compliments when I wear it, and I'd say it's a pretty universally flattering shade. I like to put this all over my lid with Cyprus Umber on the outer corner and Buon Fresco to blend it out.

The only bad thing is that a lot of the shades do have fall out, and there's a good amount of kick back in the pans. However, when shadows are this pigmented, it's to be expected. Like I mentioned, you don't even need to load up your brush with a lot of eyeshadow so it's not a huge problem.

Don't be intimidated by these colors- play around with them, try different looks! It's really worth the price, and I believe that Anastasia Beverly Hills makes some of the best eyeshadows on the market.

on 1/22/2018 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is a gorgeous palette! At first glance I thought the colors would not work on me since there was so much pink/red and figured it would make me look like I had an infected eye but I was wrong. The colors are surprisingly wearable and blend together so well. They are very pigmented and smooth but a few of the shades, namely golden ochre, are powdery and kick up a lot of fall out but just be gentle with it and you should have no issues. The brush provided is 50/50. The flat, shader end is soft and works well whereas the opposite blender end is terrible (super rough). Overall, I think this is a great palette.