Equate Wipe the Day Away (compare to Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm)

No Image

2.2

on 12/26/2016 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

MUA reviews speak truth to power here. This stuff does not wash off. Heck, Albolene washes off easier than this, and that is just a cold cream and not really meant to emulsify with just water. I've tried the Clinique upon which this was supposedly modeled, MAC, Fresh, DHC, Softyo, Caudelie, DIY with various oils and emulsifiers, and several others I'm forgetting. They all rinse cleaner than this, while removing comparable makeup. What had really impressed me with the Clinique TTDO balm WAS its incredibly clean rinsing. And so I'd thought, given similar ingredients and its claim that it's a Clinique knock-off, I'd have a winner here with the cheaper Equate version. Not. Definitely not. In the end, I had to use a regular face wash 2x to get the remains of this off. And the Equate jar went into the trash bin as soon as I got out of the shower because, despite Wally World's lenient return policy, I'd bought it several months ago and tossed the receipt. Fair warning: keep that receipt!

on 11/8/2016 8:26:00 AM

I love Clinique's TTDO balm but I hate the high pricetag that comes with it. When I saw this at walmart, I was thrilled and gave it a go. Well, there's a reason it's only $12...

While I feel like it does an OK job of removing my face make-up, it does not take everything off in regards to eye make up. Most of the time there are still traces of mascara smudged along my lashline, even when I cleanse my face afterwards.

Oh and that's the other thing - you'll want to wash your face with your normal cleanser after using this product. it's not a one-and-done type of deal. Unless you like the feeling of heavy wax/grease/oil/balm sitting on top of your skin. That's the major difference between this cleansing balm and the CLinique TTDO one. Clinique's rinses clean with no residue whatsoever.

Unless you're desperate or extremely tight on cash, I'd skip this and try the real TTDO balm. OR - using a homemade mixture of EVOO, almond oil and jojoba oil works just as well and is much cheaper.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

It removes make up. All of it. Even stubborn doesn't-move-even-for-soap waterproof mascara in seconds. Just tissue off balm. However, the feeling that it leaves after removal,.. a kind of film that doesn't totally go away after rinsing nor washing... I can't even discribe it. It's like nothing I can readily think of to compare it to; not even pure oil. I hate the feeling it leaves me with... oh, I got it! It's like slathering Chap Stick all over your face and then tissuing off. As for comparing this to Clinique's product, Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm; I can't say that I can; I never used Clinique's. However, I can say that this Equate product dissolves makeup with very little effort; no putting multiple layers of cold cream on, no multiple applications of liquid remover, no using multiple makeup remover towelettes. And this is fragrance free (to my nose, anyway). However, that filmy feeling... was definitely enough for me to take off some Lippies; and enough for me to think twice about repurchasing... when a cleanser leaves your face with a kinda not clean feeling, it certainly makes you wonder if you can find something better.
UPDATE: I decided I am no longer going to use this product. That film gets in my eyes and makes them water and itch. Actually, in an effort to remove the excess film, I accidently scrubbed too hard using a wash cloth and my face was red raw for a couple of days. It does it's job, but I just can't deal with the side effects. EDIT: I have finally tried Clinique's. This stuff should even be ashamed it is trying to look like Clinique's product. Clinique's is the. best. makeup remover ever.

on 8/2/2016 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I agree with everything MLWagner79 said about this stuff. I have used the TTDO balm and it rinses more easily than does this stuff. The Equate melts down into an oil almost immediately and feels just like the TTDO, but man - this stuff is hard to rinse off! I slathered it on and then rinsed in the shower... and rinsed... and rinsed... and rinsed!!! To be fair - the TTDO doesn't *feel* like it's rinsed off completely either, BUT once I dry my face, it doesn't feel filmy - just kind of moisturized. That took some getting used to. I don't get that feeling with this - once it's finally rinsed off, it doesn't feel drying or moisturizing, but I do feel a film, and I can see a bit of something on the cotton pad when I go over my face with toner afterward.

I don't think the Equate cleans as well as the TTDO, but I'm going to keep using it for a while and see what I think after a little more long term usage. I think cleansing balms are great for dry skin - I don't see oily skin liking them at all.

In sum, I think this cleans pretty well, but requires dedicated rinsing to remove. It's about half the price of the clinique, so that's a checkmark in the plus category for it. I do think I prefer the TTDO, but I could get by with this if I had to. I think.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am honestly not sure how I feel about this balm. I have not used the Clinique version, nor am I familiar with any other cleansing balm, so I don't have a lot to compare it to.

This product was $12.83 for 3.8 ounces. A tiny bit goes a lonnnnng way. I barely use any. You apply it with dry hands to dry face, massage it in, then add some water to emulsify and massage some more then rinse.

It breaks up make-up, sunscreen, you name it, like a champ. Rinsing is where I run into trouble. And this is where I wish I have tried the Clinique version. No matter what I do, this stuff leaves an awful film. I could rinse for days and it wouldn't matter. So I double cleanse - this, followed with one of the other cleaners I have in rotation. And then it's great! Makeup and sunscreen are gone with no drying or stripping, and skin is soft. Does not cause any breakouts or other problems for my dry skin.

Now, if this is normal and the Clinique balm does the same thing then fine. It's less messy than an oil and travels more easily. And the price beats the heck out of $29 for the same size of Clinique. And no animal testing.

I will continue to use it up but would be curious to hear comparisons from others who use and like the Clinique TTDO balm.