Tarte Swamp Queen Eye & Cheek Palette

Tarte Swamp Queen Eye & Cheek Palette
Swamp Queen Eye & Cheek PaletteSwamp Queen Eye & Cheek PaletteSwamp Queen Eye & Cheek Palette

on 2/7/2017 9:03:00 PM

My first name brand palette and let me tell you I am so in love! These colors are SO pigmented and beautiful. They go on like butter! And Gator Wings... oh my... one of the best highlighters I've tried! I really hope Bunny comes out with another palette for the Swamp Fam!!!

on 2/2/2017 5:52:00 PM

This was my first experience with Tarte cosmetics and I definitely want to try more. The palette is great because it can be incredibly neutral or it can be amped up for a night look. The face products are super pigmented and the eye products are gorgeous with my green eyes.

Face
Sweet Tea- When I first swatched this bronzer I wasn't a fan. I thought it was too orange and too glittery for my complexion. However, if I apply it with a light hand it warms up the face beautifully and stays all day.
Does This Thing Really Work?- I was excited for this blush because it's something different from the pale orangy-pinks I usually use. I was scared for the amount of glitter but it ended up nor really showing on the skin and lasted all day like most Tarte blushes,
Gator Wings-This was the face product I was most looking forward to. I am so fair that finding a highlight that works for me is a challenge but this really popped on my skin and caught the light beautifully.

Eyes
#SFS-I love my naked 3 palette so I knew that this shimmery rose gold would be an easy win. It's subtle and striking against my green eyes and applies incredibly smooth and pigmented.(shimmer)
Natural Peaches-Not a color that I was looking forward to nor was it a color I was dreading. It's a gorgeous creamy peach that makes blending a dream. Not my favorite on its own but great for those days my eyeshadow won't blend.(matte)
Dogman-My second favorite color in the palette. It's a burnt orange color that blends beautifully and really warms up my crease. I have no problem with fallout with this color and the pigment is intense.(micro glitter that disappears once on the eye)
Big Baby-A gorgeous creamy white that isn't intensely pigmented but makes a beautiful base for pale girls.(matte)
Sassy Bun-This is my favorite shadow in the whole palette and it applies wonderfully. This goes on super well with no fallout and the bronze pigment is super intense.(shimmer/metallic)
Sippy Sippy-My third favorite shadow in the palette is this chocolatey brown with gold glitters. This is a shade that people either love or hate. Personally, I think it's a great chocolate shade and I love that the glitter shit from gold to an olivey green.(micro glitter that can be shaken of brush)
Haunting-A pale lilac that is very similar to big baby color wise. I wish that the purple tones in this palette were a bit more purple colored but they still are pretty and soft. A pretty color that isn't as pigmented as the rest of the shades.(micro glitter)
Uncommon- A pretty medium purple that is leaning more on the neutral side rather than purple. It's pretty but not as pigmented as I would have liked.(shimmer)
Man Cat-My least favorite of the whole palette. I love deep plummy colors but this one is so dry, chalky, patchy, and underwhelming that it's just sad. A color that I really like if I take the time to build it up to get some form of purple pigment otherwise I just pass.(matte)

Overall I love this palette. The majority of the colors are great. The quality of the first two purple shade are fine I just wished they were a bit more purple. This palette is great if you love Bunny or Tarte, or if you just want some fun new options.

P.S. If you want a super pigmented purple try Amethyst from Smashbox. It's a gorgeous warm purple with gold micro glitter.

on 1/12/2017 5:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I love tarte but this was a miss for me. Pros were that everything in it was pigmented and the packaging is nothing short but impressive. Also there is a wide variety of shades in both frost and matte finish. Comes with an eyeshadow brush as well. Now let's move onto cons. Although the eyeshadows blended out beautifully, the colors just kinda ran together. Also the bronzer and blush are so pigmented that when I applied it with a brush (either synthetic or natural hair) it would deposit the color in one spot and was a bugger to blend out. The highlighter has microglitter in it and I can't stand that! Overall wouldn't repurchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

** Due to high demand, this palette (and both lippaints) is back for sale on the Tarte website [ships internationally] for one last time **

The biggest plus is that all of the shades in the Swamp Queen palette are very easy to wear, which is a huge deal for me; in every other 9+ pan palette I own there is at least one shade that I'll only wear a few times a year when I'm feeling unusually daring, and then at least one more pan of product that I'll never get around to using, but every shade in the Swamp Queen palette is something that I'll wear regularly. I can tell that a lot of thought went into this palette; the shades are wearable practical-but-pretty 'everyday' shades, that are easy to dress up for night/free time. The shades can be worn on all skin tones and they actually compliment each other - this is one of the few palettes I own where I can say that I'll use every single colour regularly.

You get a bronzer, pink blush, golden highlight, and nine eyeshadows [all vanilla-scented powders] + full-size eyeshadow brush. The Sweet Tea bronzer and Does This Thing Really Work? blush are highly pigmented, but tapping excess of the brush softens them enough for me to be able to wear them on my fair skin. Even though it is wearable on my cheeks, I do prefer using Sweet Tea as a eyeshadow as it's a bit too warm-toned for me to be fully comfortable with - but as long as it's being used, rather then just sitting there in the palette untouched, I have no complaints. Does This Thing Really Work? is a universal shimmery pink - I think it'll work on every skintone. The neutral champagne Gator Wings highlight is a glowy wet-look base, filled with shimmer and microglitter - very light-catching and super vivid.

The mix of matte, shimmer and microglitter eyeshadows are very easy to pair together for looks; you can pick and mix from anywhere in the palette, but going in a line vertically or horizontally is an easy option if you feel a bit overwhelmed when you first get it. The shades perfect for my tastes, and work well with my neutral/cool skintone - lots of sepia takes on neutral tones to brighten my face (the orange/brown shade Dogman is my favourite), and a lilac & darker purple for when I want to switch my look up a notch. I've found some of the shadows in other Tarte palettes a bit hit or miss, but everything in Swamp Queen is very good; highly pigmented, easy to blend & build up, plus crease resistant; #SFS (rose gold shimmer), Natural Peaches (matte peachy nude), Dogman (burnt sienna microglitter), Big Baby (matte cream), Sassy Bun (copper peach shimmer), Sippy Sippy (dark brown microglitter), Haunting (lavender microglitter), Uncommon (purple slate shimmer), and Mancat (matte deep plum)

My only niggle is with the Gator Wings highlighter and Sippy Sippy eyeshadow - they are both very shimmery and glittery, and the heavy shimmer/glitter particles fall out and spread over my face quite a bit. The blush, bronzer and several of the other eyeshadows also have faint specks of tiny microglitter in them, but nowhere near as much as Gator Wings and Sippy Sippy do, and I haven't had any of the fallout mess with any of those. A bit of the problem is that the heavy amount of shimmer/glitter in Gator Wings and Sippy Sippy means that the powder isn't as tightly packed into the pan, increasing the mess it makes. If you take extra care tapping excess from your brush when using Gator Wings and Sippy Sippy most of the heavier shimmer falls straight out of the powder, so I can still use the products without major problems. But why put so much glitter into the products in the first place? I can tell that if I'm in a rush to get ready and forget to take care, then things could get messy...

Also; the cream eyeshadow [Big Baby] is less-pigmented than everything else, but I think it is designed as a base for the other shades, and to neaten up transition edges, so it's not a deal-breaker for me.

on 12/12/2016 8:23:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been wanting this for awhile, but I just couldn't justify the cost in Canada. When it went on sale for almost half price (including shipping) on Black Friday, I finally bought it.

I love the packaging on this palette. It's nice, thick, sturdy plastic, and the faux-wood exterior means it holds up well to fingerprints and other grime, so it stores and travels well.

The colours are all very versatile, and I think they would work for all skintones, something you don't always find in a neutral-coloured palette. The only colour I'm not a fan of is the bronzer colour (I think it's Sweet Tea). I'm super pale and cool toned, so it reads as flat out orange on my face. With a little patience, I can make it work, but it's not a colour I'd reach for as a staple or if I'm in a hurry.

The face colours and one of the shadow colours have some chunky glitter in them, something I'm not a huge fan of in face products, but it does mostly dissipate after blending so it's not actually left on your face.

The colours are all very soft and extremely pigmented. This means that, as with all softer shadows, you're going to get some fallout. I always do my foundation after my shadow for this very reason, but if you tend to do your face before your eyes, it's something to be aware of. I love that instead of including the usual dark brown or black for crease colours that they included a slightly darker mauve (mancat), and a more warm toned brown (dogman). The colours are all super blendable, so it's very easy to create a softer day look, or build up the darker colours for a night look.

I've been using this palette for my full face (minus foundation, eyeliner and mascara) every day since I got it a week ago and I'm going to be super bummed when I use it up because it's something that's perfect for everyday wear.

I will note that I don't know if it's my computer monitor or something else, but whenever I looked at pictures of the product and swatches before buying, it did look a lot more cool toned than it ended up being in person, as I found almost all of the colours with the exception of Big Baby to lean to the warm side.

on 12/29/2016 1:27:00 PM

This was actually the first eyeshadow palette I ever bought. These shades were so pigmented and beautiful! It really only took once swipe of the pariah to get good pigmentation, I absolutely love this palette. I don't really use the blush in this palette because I am very fair and I find this blush to be too pink and kind of hard to blend out. The shadows were easy to blend. The highlighter although beautiful was kind of rough feeling in my dry skin, I think this is because of the specks of glitter in it. I don't use the bronzer/contour shade in this palette either because of my fair skin it looks orange on me (I have pink undertones in my skin) but would probably be better for people with tan complection. Overall I love this palette for the eyeshadows

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love palettes and have collected quite a few, including many Tarte. I've always been satisfied with Tarte eyeshadows, so I went to Ulta to check out this palette. The SA insisted that this palette would be perfect for my light cool toned skin and I consented to a makeover. She applied big baby, dogman and the glittery sassy bun shade, insisting it would be a great lid color, despite my mature age. Well, the colors were pretty, but they had enormous fallout, especially sassy bun. My under eye area and cheeks were heavily coated. I have never experienced this much fallout with Tarte or any other high end cosmetic brand. When I complained, the SA shrugged and said, "Sometimes it happens."

The blush is very pigmented, but buffed out easily to a beautiful, natural rosy pink. I loved it! The highlighter was too frosty for my taste. I like a natural glow and my faves are Laura Geller vanilla highlighter and Becca poured in Pearl. The bronzer is too dark and orange for me.

on 7/15/2016 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

When I saw this palette, I knew I'd get a lot of use out of it, as the colors are excellent for me. (Light/med, cool skin w/ green eyes.) This will be great for travel, since it has all the cheek and eye colors I'll need. The highlighter is too glittery for my taste, but a couple of the shadows make beautiful, more subtle highlighters. The bronzer is perfect on my skin for summertime. I haven't had any issues with fallout, but I apply with a light hand.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this palette ! I use it everyday ! It literally is a face in a case . I use the shadows for day and night time looks . Never had any issues . Smells amazing like vanilla too !

on 8/11/2016 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Totally agree with the 'meh' feeling towards this palette. I absolutely love tarte cosmetics, huge fan but I am just so indifferent to this palette.

Blush - I think this is the real winner in the palette. I don't usually wear blush, but this pink is so pleasant and gives just the right hint of glow that I've included it into my routine.

Bronzer - I don't know about this. It's super orangey, it stays where you plonk it on... I prefer to stay with Benefit Hoola Bronzer.

Highlighter - ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... that glitter fall out is enough to drive anyone insane. I don't even notice the actual highlighter because I'm too pissed off about the glitter all up in my nostrils, on my eyebrows, in my eyes....I pretty much feel that glitter in my soul.

Eye shadows - yeah look the colours are alright if you're so inclined. Not a huge fan of purple tone in general so don't use those. The middle row shades are pretty nice (big baby, sassy bun and sippy sippy) BUT the darkest tone sippy sippy is so misleading...it super dark and it will seep into everything and take over your whole lid... You may not have wanted dark brown lids but that's what you're getting. The top row is the nicest for lid shades and for transition colours.

All in all its not really worth the $72AUD price tag when palettes like Tartelette in Bloom are like right next to it on the shelf.

PS- two massive words...FALL OUT. Be prepared for that because you'll have to change your whole shadow routine.