Maybelline Master Prime Long-Lasting Shadow Base in Prime + Smooth

No Image

4.5

Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Isopropyl Lanolate, VP / Eicosene Copolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alumina, Dimethicone, Propylene Carbonate, PEG-40 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Cera Alba / Beeswax / Cire Dabeille, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide. May Contain: Mica, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake.

Love it! No creases when paired with a quality shadow - but you must close your eyes / lower your lids upon application of primer to let it dry flat.

on 4/13/2017 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review is for the "Prime & Matte" version. I only decided to give this a shot when i saw Tati on YouTube use it. I knew I'd seen it at London Drugs but it had made it's way to the clearance bin, and I picked up 2 of them for about $6 a piece. I've been making my way through a tube of WnW Fergie primer but I'm always game to try something else. At first I wasn't thrilled that this seemed to have a pinky clay sort of colour to it but it pretty much sheers out to nothing on my NC30-sh skin tone. (I don't want/need my primer to even out my skin tone - that's what eye shadow or paint pots are for). I also am very judicious with it and only use a teeny tiny bit, focusing on the crease where my shadow tends to, well, crease. It feels silkier and smoother, less tacky than the WnW Fergie primer and I worried it might be too slippery or not 'set', but it does... and it works really well! My shadow stays looking fresh all day without creasing. I'm not going to say it's better than WnW. I find they BOTH perform amazingly well. I'm tempted to hunt down others for backups, because it's been doing a stellar job all week. It also does not feel drying to my ageing eyes.

The only downfall might be the packaging. As mentioned by another reviewer, it's not as sanitary as a squeeze tube and this type of packaging tends to get really hard to use once you get down to the bottom. At least with a squeeze tube you can cut it in half and get every last working drop out (or transfer it to a little jar).

on 5/10/2016 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is a great drugstore find. Inexpensive with sales and even better if you get a manufacturer coupon often available - I got this from my local grocery store for $4.99, so definitely worth the try for that price and convenience. Application is smooth with the sponge,flattened "doe-foot" applicator. Dries evenly and quickly, does not dry out lids or skin on lower lash line, and shadows can still be blended with no issues. My eyes can get very watery and with previous primers ( most recently tried NYX Waterproof and Laura Mercier) the shadow and liner around my lower lash line and outer corners was just disappearing. This Maybelline primer helps my shadow and liner actually last throughout the work day and evening, 12+ hours. Very little to no creasing on my oily lids. The shade blends very well into my skin (NC 10-15) and while it looks to have a pink-ish pearl color, I find this is not really pigmented and it does not really show up. While it brightens up my eye area a but, it does not totally correct color imperfections on my dark, veiny lids - it basically just blends in as a sheer base and let's my shadows do that job. It also comes in a matte version and an illuminating shade which might be more pigmented, but I would happily purchase this shade again for a smooth base and longer-wearing eye makeup. I am very impressed with this product!

on 2/4/2017 5:39:00 PM

This is an EXCELLENT shadow primer. I tried Wet n' Wild, and this is a million times better IMO.

Maybelline's Master Prime Long-Lasting Shadow Base in Prime + Smooth applies beautifully and dries quickly to a smooth finish. No chalkiness whatsoever! It makes my eyeshadow color look more opaque and intense, and it helps it to last all day without fading or creasing. I have some pretty oily lids, and this primer works works wonders for me. I am impressed!

Great packaging too. I like the doe-foot applicator, it's very easy to deal with. More so than a squeeze-tube.

If you're looking for a good eyeshadow base at a reasonable price, I recommend this one very highly. I will definitely buy it again. A+++

on 10/30/2016 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

This review is for all three shades / varieties: Smooth, Illuminate, and Matte.

General: Provides a smooth canvas for shadows, lasts 8 hours plus without creasing over light eye cream (which I must use, not optional). Non-drying, non-irritating.

Matte: Skin tone matte, the most opaque of the three. But dark, too dark for my ivory skin tone.
Illuminate: A soft shimmer, translucent; would like this to be a bit more opaque. But a great highlighter nonetheless.
Smooth: Still a bit shimmery, the most translucent of the three.

I prefer to mix the Matte and Smooth; use the Illuminate as described below.

Pros:
~ Does provide a nice smooth canvas for shadows. Sets but remains just slightly tacky; pretty good for blending (not glue like as are some).
~ Non-drying: This is the biggest plus for me, and the reason I'll use this over the ones that provide longer wear. I have dry eyes and use the glue ones only when I really need that 12+ hour wear. I also have very sensitive eyes and these do not cause any irritation or itching.
~ Easy to apply.
~ Versatile: I actually like to mix the Smooth and Matte, as the latter is too dark for my skin tone (I'm pretty fair, but the Matte is quite orangey and dark). I like the Illuminate for a quick eye; apply it overall, which acts as both a primer and highlight; then swipe a soft shade over the lid, optional a crease shade.

Cons:
~ Though I'm not crazy about doe foot applicators (I don't consider it sanitary to apply to your skin and stick it back into the product), I'll deal when necessary. (Unlike the horrible click brush ones, just don't buy those anymore, hate them!)
~ Isn't the longest lasting primer I've used
~ Isn't quite opaque enough to cover veins/discolorations

OK first off this makes a beautiful highlighter and this review is for the base+illuminater...I can't use it as a eyeshadow base tho. It clumps up and looks bad. Doesn't make eyeshadow smooth. Hard to blend . I just use it when I'm on a hurry as an eyeshadow on its own