Violet Voss Holy Grail Palette

Violet Voss Holy Grail Palette
Violet Voss Holy Grail PaletteViolet Voss Holy Grail Palette

3.9

on 4/14/2018 7:47:00 AM

I was debating whether to buy this or the modern ressiance palette by ABH. But for more shadows at a cheaper price I went for this. I love this palette!! I’ve had this nearly a year and hit pan on only one of the shadows! Plenty of shadows which are pigmented. Only let down is some of the shimmer shadows aren’t as pigmented as others & 2 of the shadows keep falling out of the slot where the pans go for the price you would think they would glue in the pans better.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The HG (or Holy Grail) eyeshadow palette by indie brand Violet Voss contains twenty powder shadows in a mix of matte, satin, shimmer/metallic and duo chrome finishes: Crystal [Champagne creme satin], Ploof [Bronzed rose pink neutral satin], Thanks A Latte [Matte nude], Transition [Matte honey coffee], Hashtag [matte Rich terracotta], Awesome Sauce [Copper shimmer], Bestie [Matte mocha cream], Toffee [Duo-chrome brown with vibrant bronze and golden shimmers], Chill [Shimmery chocolate gold], How U Doin [Pink-toned bronze shimmer], Bat My Eyes [Deep brown shimmer], Cool Beans [Pale chocolate shimmer], R U Kitten Me [Matte brown with terracotta undertones], So Jelly - Deep rose pink shimmer], On Fleek [metallic Chocolate orange with hints of petal pink], Brownie Points [Matte dark coffee], Teddy Bear [matte Dark burgundy with brown undertones], Glamping [Metallic chocolate-toned rouge shimmer], Cranberry [Dark pink shimmer] and Wine N Dine [matte berry-toned rouge].

The mattes in the HG palette are on another level from the majority of other brands at a similar price level; buttery smooth, mega easy to blend, great to mix together to create new shades and they have next to no fallout. The metallic and duo chrome shades feel exactly like the mattes do formula-wise, and the sheerer satin shades work great as base, brow/tearduct and cheek highlighters. All of the shadows are non-fading, and I haven't experienced any creasing - I apply them in the morning [no primer] and they'll still look good in the evening, when I remove it. The metallic shades have a bit more fallout in comparison to the other shadows which have very little, which isn't a dealbreaker for me but I still thought I'd mention it. Fallout in shadows doesn't really bother me as I do my eyes before my base - all pigmented & softer shadows have fallout. At some point recently the formulas for the shadows in the HG palette have changed [and the card packaging is now more substantial too] to match up with the ones in the later Violet Voss palettes, so that's worth baring in mind when reading and/or watching reviews.

The shades in HG are very similar to those in ABH Modern Renaissance; there are no out-and-out dupes, but they are similar enough that I'd advise you to really think things through before buying this if you already own Modern Renaissance. of course if you're nuts about the shades in Modern Renaissance then you'll be very happy with the HG palette, since everything is similar but not the same. In the UK both palettes come in at the same cost [£43] and for that price you get 36g of product in the HG palette & just 8g in the Modern Renaissance. So yeah - as much as I love my Modern Renaissance palette, I believe that if I'd discovered the HG first then I would have been extremely unlikely to have bought it, as you get over four times as much product in HG. I don't notice any real difference in the quality between the two palettes.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I can’t believe how much this palette costs! For just a few more dollars you can get ABH or Kat Von D, which is way better quality and made in USA. I have nothing against products made in China, but this should be reflected in the price. The mark up for Violet Voss is ridiculous.

on 10/13/2017 5:04:00 AM

EDIT :::: By all means read my original review, as it will help navigate using this palette, but I found the antidote to the weak staying power. A simple, good coverage of base colour all over your top lid, up to the brow. It creates a solid canvas for it I guess. Then, work on top of that and you get the most of these amazing colours and consistencies. Again, zero creasing (how, HOW, is that possible?), just a beautiful finish throughout the day. The only reason I'm giving it four lippies, is that they do slightly loose their colour punch. But I am definitely buying this again now that I figured this problem out. Recommended, absolutely.

ORIGINAL REVIEW ::: I had very high expectations for this, after reading great reviews on several sources. The shadows are crazy beautiful, finely milled, blend like a dream. There's no end to the combination of looks you can create with these. Frankly, when you're done with the look, it's stunning. No irritation on the eyes, very little fall-out.
BUT.
It just doesn't last. They colours fade quickly, they loose their punch within the hour and after two-three hours, all the colours blend into one.
Now, for a peculiar twist: not only do they blend into one (and this happens to all the colours I've used) , but somehow they melt into one natural-looking, very flattering tone. And they don't crease AT ALL.
All this means that although your makeup look changes within hours, you really don't have to touch up at all because somehow you still look very good. I would love to give this palette five lippies but the colours just don't stay put. It's SO annoying because when you put them on they are SO beautiful.
Ugh.
While this is a big disappointment, I will most definitely keep using this happily, because I can trust it to give me a great look throughout the day that won't crease and melt.
If you use an eye primer maybe it would help I guess. But I already have a multi-step beauty routine (cleansing, toning, serum, cream, massage) and do prep my eyes. But adding an eye primer is a step too much for me. I have things to get to in the mornings, come on.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Beautiful range of shades and a dupe for the Anastasia Beverly Hills modern renaissance palette. Foiled eyeshadows are buttery and the combinations of foiled and mattes are gorgeous and the packaging is gorgeous (holographic lovers I'm looking at you)

Pros: more shades than ABH palette
Has a mirror
Holographic
Buttery texture with small fallout on mattes
You can create looks with this palette being statement or everyday

Cons: large cannot use on the go
Pricy
Reds and browns so if you want other colours look elsewhere

I love this palette! It's gorgeous and I use it nearly everyday and I love the blinding inner corner highlight shade. I would repurchase but be open to seeing if other palettes could beat it

This was recommended to me by the store salesman. I wanted to buy a violet voss palette, but wasn't sure which one, she told me this one had the most pigment. I tried it on when I bought it... I love it, such pretty colors and very pigmented as well! They are good for blending and look great applied on your lids! Very nice formula, kind of creamy.

This was supposed to be limited edition but is STILL on sale. I scrimped to get this shipped over, and waited up to get one. I needn't have bothered! Total waste of time and money - on the basis of these lies I would never buy from them again even if these palettes were amazing, which they aren't. Morphe/Coastal Scents level quality for much more money. Keep your money in your wallet.

This has been the screensaver on my surface for months so you could imagine my excitment when my mom came in my room and presented this palette to me. I have been using my tartelette in bloom (I'll write another review on that) and I was longing for some more options for the crease. This palette has a staggering 20 shadows in it all of which I will use at some point and the pigmentation is like no other eyeshadow I've used before. I found that will my tartelette in bloom paltte I had to spray my brush to get pigment but I packed on my lid shade dry and it was so intense. This palette is any makeup lovers dream.

on 1/22/2017 11:08:00 AM

I love this palette, I got the original formula, not sure how the new formula is, but my palette is great, very pigmented, not as much kick back as abh, great mattes to blend with which is hard to find, can create so many looks, can't wait for their all matte palette, use this palette almost everytime I do makeup

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

an ok eyeshadow palette in my opinion, nothing spectacular about it tbh
i don't get why this palette is hype by youtubers
but if you looking for reddish palette, maybe you can pick this