3.9

This has been the screensaver on my surface for months so you could imagine my excitment when my mom came in my room and presented this palette to me. I have been using my tartelette in bloom (I'll write another review on that) and I was longing for some more options for the crease. This palette has a staggering 20 shadows in it all of which I will use at some point and the pigmentation is like no other eyeshadow I've used before. I found that will my tartelette in bloom paltte I had to spray my brush to get pigment but I packed on my lid shade dry and it was so intense. This palette is any makeup lovers dream.

on 1/22/2017 11:08:00 AM

I love this palette, I got the original formula, not sure how the new formula is, but my palette is great, very pigmented, not as much kick back as abh, great mattes to blend with which is hard to find, can create so many looks, can't wait for their all matte palette, use this palette almost everytime I do makeup

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

an ok eyeshadow palette in my opinion
i don't get why this palette is hype by youtubers

on 11/23/2016 3:57:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Trash. Violet Voss is a very low quality brand that majorly marks up their poducts.

If you go to their eyeshadow ingredients, the list reads as follows:

Mica, Mineral Talc, Jojoba Oil, Kaolin Clay, Magnesium Stearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Tridecyl Trime-llitate, Phenoxyethanol.

When comparing ingredients, I saw that they have a VERY similar formula to far more inexpensive brands, such as Morphe Brushes and Makeup Revolution. I wish I'd known this before paying $50 for this product.

I was excited about this palette, because the eyeshadows are gorgeous. When I first received them, I realized they are all hyper (and I mean hyper) pigmented and easy to work with and blend on the eyelid. However after MONTHS of attempting to use these shadows, I've given up on this palette. No matter what primer I use these FADE extremely fast. They are almost completely gone just a few hours after application. The formula is also powdery and has a lot of kick up. Not to mention, the packaging is very cheap and flimsy. Nowhere near worthwhile for the price point.

If you have normal dry eyelids (mine are hecka oily) this may work better for you. However my advice is to save your money and buy from Morphe or Makeup Revolution (I haven't tried their eyeshadows but my sister has a MR palette she loves.)!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Versatile, good blend of shimmer and matte colours, and really beautiful variety of shades for both natural, more nude looks and more outgoing looks. The shadows are super pigmented, blend well together, and are really buildable. I find they last at least five hours without smudging and last much longer when paired with a good quality primer. The pans are surprisingly large and relatively deep, so I would definitely say the palette is worth the money. My only issue is that when applying, there tends to me a lot of fall-out under the eyes and on the face, however I wouldn't say this occurs any more than with other high end pallets such as Urban Decay or Kat Von D. All I would say is to apply shadow before face makeup if you don't do so already, and be sure to use a decent primer and set with a good quality setting spray for best results.

on 7/16/2016 3:05:00 AM

I had never heard of this brand before reading 2-3 good reviews here on MUA. I ordered this and another palette as a combo deal, and considered myself so lucky that both were in stock. What a disappointment these palettes have been.

First, the packaging is cheap cardboard. Yeah, so many companies have gone to this packaging and I hate it. But what was really bad with these two was the graphics are not printed well on the palette. The silver ink is noticeably absent and faded thoughout the logo, making the palette reek "cheap".

Second, the colors are all very warm. I am neutral toned so I can wear warm and cool, but these colors range super warm (read ORANGE). All shadows are just various shades of orange, nothing too neutral about that.

Third, the texture is dry and the shadows are hard to load on my brush. Which in turn, makes them hard to blend. Strike three!

Bottom line, definitely not worth the money and I totally regret the purchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Wine n Dine is the ONLY reason I bought this pallete. The other colors are a disappointment. Not pigmented and I have to dig my brush in most of the colors to get good payoff.

on 5/13/2016 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I was lucky/obsessed/diligent enough to get this from the VV website when it was restocked, they sell out fast. I love the variety of colors, the finishes are beautiful, and the quality is fantastic for the ORIGINAL price. I emphasize this because while these are good quality shadows, they are NOT worth the inflated prices being asked on Ebay or in various online makeup groups. The shadows wear really well, are color true, and are quite soft and pigmented. Several shades in my palette are slightly less buttery and pigmented than others, but the difference is negligible. As usual, I believe this is a function of finish and not overall formulation.

Strengths: GREAT quality for the price. 20 shadows for $42??? YES PLEASE. I would rank these somewhere between the very best of Too Faced shadows and the usual buttery Kat Von D standard. I actually prefer these to my MAC singles. Blasphemy, I know. They wear reasonably well without primer, 7+ hours with minor creasing on my somewhat oily lids. They are vivid and long-lasting with one. (As to vividity, keep in mind I am paper pale. Everything shows up on me.) I have worn these over Wet 'n Wild primers and UDPP. No difference, my eyeshadow rocked it for 11+ hours with barely noticeable fading. Minimal fallout except with a few sheenier shades. And OY VEY, the colors! This was my main draw to the palette: as a blue/green eyed gal, this is one heavenly collection of colors. The lower right corner with those burgandy-reds? Divine. The highlight shade isn't too glittery for this older lady, and these are several good transition shade options. These work well as lower-lid liners.
For the love of the included unusual colors, I would repurchase.

Weaknesses: Very few. Typical cardboard packaging similar to Lorac or KVD. Perfectly stable and functional, but not my personal preference. Although if you were to drop a cardboard palette you'd probably do less damage/suffer less breakage than if it were encased in hard plastic. (RIP, beloved NYX Butt Naked) Some of the shinier or more glittery shades had minimal fallout. Nothing insane. Variety of colors is awesome, but if you are looking for a starter palette, there may not be enough neutrals or basics here for you. Only one highlight shade, and it is more of a cream color. There is no bright ivory or whiter browbone shade. The color scheme is singular: browns, reds, coppers, and golds. This is a decidedly warm-toned palette, so warm it is almost hot. Lovers of cooler tones will find nothing to work with here. These are great at the original price, excellent at the coupon price of $42. I would not purchase at the prices I am currently seeing on Ebay for this. You're getting 20 better than average good quality shadows. I have an obscene number of palettes, so I wouldn't pay more. But I can rationalize someone with a smaller collection than mine fairly paying $80-100 for this, or $4-5 per pan. Every customer knows their own limits and needs. VV continues to restock this, so please be wary of "limited edition" hype. (Hello, TF Sweet Peach, I am looking at you.....oh wait, now this is going to be permanent? After folks stayed up all night and/or paid hundreds for it on Ebay? What a surprise. Not. #dirty) As long as these sell regularly, they will be produced.

Overall, I recommend this palette. It is excellent for folks with light colored eyes but looks good on everyone. Contains at least 8 colors that I cannot readily dupe with my gazillion other palettes and for that reason I would repurchase. Think of this as a Morphe 35O turned up to 10, with more extreme warm shades and superior quality.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was unfamiliar with Violet Voss products until I started seeing this palette all over Instagram and Facebook. I got so excited because it was a really unique blend of warm, rusted shimmer and matte shades. One drawback to this product is the availability. V V did a good job of posting re-stock dates to their Insagram account but, the product is in such high demand that it completely sold out within 5-10 minutes. After the second attempt, I gave up and just bought this palette on Ebay for a slightly inflated price. When you buy through V V, they include a promo code that knocks 10% off the price. I wouldn't recommend buying this palette off of Ebay for anything north of $60-70.

The packaging of this product is pretty decent. It reminds me of Lorac's Pro palette as far as sleekness and material go but the Holy Grail happens to be longer and narrower. Because of that, the mirror in the HG palette is taller and wider which I find to be a major plus. I wish there had been a brush included but that is not a major downfall as far as I’m concerned. I didn’t realize until I received my palette how generous the pan size of the shades are. That was hard to tell just by looking at pictures of it online. I was really happy with the amount of eye shadow there was in each pan.

I have to say, I am pretty impressed with the quality of these shadows. They go on very well and will last all day if applied on top of a primer, concealer, or, foundation. As with most shimmer shades, there tends to be a little fallout. Applying these shades with a setting mist will not only intensify the look of the shadow but will also help to keep the glitter in place. The mattes do not have that chalky texture that allow for excellent blend-ability as well as build-ability. I have heard reviews claiming that it’s hard to get a complete smoky eye from this palette but I didn’t have this issue. I found a variation of base, crease, and, highlighter shades within the HG that gave me a soft, smoky look. That being said, if you're more prone to creating a dramatic smoky eye, you may have to compensate with other palettes. All in all, I am in love with this product! I feel like it’s really versatile and can be used year round and as an everyday palette. As far as the color array goes, it is comparable to the Morphe 35O which is equally hard to get your hands on. If you're looking for a dupe in this product, I would recommend Juvia's Nubian palette or Lime Crime's Venus Grunge. Not exact but pretty darn close.

As it stands, the HG palette is a limited edition product which saddens me because I think that it is an excellent product. My hope is that as Violet Voss gets more established, they will include this as a staple in their product line. That would also solve the availability issue that has been a headache for many customers.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This eyeshadow palette is *almost* holy grail status! I've never had a Violet Voss eyeshadow before, but I'm impressed with the quality!

The shimmer shades are soft and buttery and swatch like a dream! The matte shades are a little dryer and don't swatch quite as well, but they perform wonderfully over primer. I didn't experience much fallout at all, and what little I had was quickly and cleanly swept away with a powder brush. There's also a nice balance between the matte and shimmer shades, which I appreciate. Some palettes are too heavy on one over the other, but Violet Voss did a good job with this one.

My favorite thing about this palette is the color selection. Most shades are neutral or warm toned. The golden/cranberry look of the palette makes it fantastic for fall and winter, but I can easily see myself reaching for throughout the year. The biggest complaint I have about this palette is that there aren't enough deep shades to work with. The darkest shade is Teddy Bear, but that may not be dark enough for some looks. If you're going for a smoky, dark, or deep look, you'll need another palette to balance this one out.

I think the palette is worth the price. I was able to use a 10% off code, which made the palette <$50 with shipping. Even though it lacks ultra-dark colors, the quality of the eyeshadows and the colors in the palette definitely make it a must-buy for me!