Ecco Bella Daily Exfoliant

4.4

I'm reviewing the Leave-On Invisible Exfoliant.

I bought this back when the weather was warm and I noticed my pores were getting bigger and my skin generally rougher-looking. I was also breaking out more than usual. I've been using it nearly everyday for about 4 months and am very satisfied with this product. Over time, it's kept my pores clear and helped reduce their visibility, accelerated cell turnover, and kept my skin smooth and bright.

I have normal skin that gets a little oilier in hot weather and a lot drier in cold weather. This product is as gentle as it is effective. It has not dried me out now that winter is here, but it's kept my skin flake-free. Of course, I do use a good moisturizer as well, but this is far more gentle than other BHA treatments I've used in the past.

This is a brown liquid packaged in a glass bottle with a screw top. I wish there were a mister or dropper top instead since dispensing the product can be a little tricky. What I do is cup my (clean) palm over the top and flip the bottle over quickly, then use what's in my palm all over freshly-cleansed skin. I will also sometimes dab a bit more on blemishes. It does sting a tiny bit if you've got any rawness or scrapes, but it otherwise does not tingle or irritate. It leaves skin feeling slightly sticky, but that goes away after an hour or two. This has a definite medicinal/herbal fragrance, which I find pleasant but others may not.

It may seem a bit pricey at first, but as I've mentioned, I've been using it almost everyday for about 4 months and still have about 1/4 of the 3.2 oz bottle left. I also think the ingredients are top-notch:

Active ingredients: Salicylic acid 2%. Other ingredients Organic aloe barbadensis, lemon and passionfruit acids, lactic acid, salicylic acid, xanthan gum, clay, organic extracts of oat avena sativa, calendula officinalis, & licorice glycyrrhiza glabra; VitaminCells: Soy lecithin liposomes with vitamin E soy tocopherols & tocotrienols, vitamin C (ascorbyl palmitate), astaxanthin, beta-carotene, lutein, lycopene, zeaxanthin, CoQ10; lavender lavandula angustifolia, rosemary leaf rosmarinus officinalis and geranium pelargonium graveolens.

Definite repurchase. continued >>

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this yesterday and left it on overnight last. My skin got oily at first, but was really glowy and smooth when I woke up. My makeup went on really good today and the 2 pimples that surfaced yesterday are just tiny red dots (this NEVER happens, they usually take at least three days to heal) The bottle could be better with a pump, but the jar is easy to dab some on a cotton ball anyway. Expensive, but you can get it cheap if you look around ( I got mine for 8 bucks at TJ Maxx). Overall, if this product keeps working like it did for me yesterday, I will probably keep using and purchasing.

I like the idea of this product in that you don't have to rinse it off...and I like the natural ingredients, but it just didn't work for me. i broke out in a rash. my roommate has sensitive skin & it worked for her though. it must just be me...

I have liked just about everything I've tried from Ecco Bella, so when I read about this having the right pH, I snapped it up right away (at Vitacost for a fraction of retail). I'm impressed at how the liquid soaks in quickly and is invisible - a plus for summer use when my AHA cream will be too emollient. Works GREAT as a spot treatment, even under makeup. It would be convenient if it had a pump instead of the screw-top cap. I'd also prefer an opaque, non-breakable bottle. But I can live w/o those things. it's definitely a keeper for my skincare routine.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I've got very sensitive, acne-prone skin. Of the many products I've used, this one is definitely the most gentle and effective. It dries up small bumps, reduces larger ones, and pushes a lot of the stuff clogging my pores to the surface. I definitely agree that it prevents many breakout from happening.
It took me a while to adapt to the smell and residue, but I think that residue is why my skin never feels dried out in the morning. I've been using it for about six months. I stopped for two weeks when I went on vacation and forgot to bring it with me and my skin went crazy.
It took about a week of using the product again before things improved.

My only wish is for the bottle to be designed so that I can squeeze out only the amount I need.

All in all, I'm really happy with it. I want to find a similar product so that I can switch things up, preventing my skin from getting used to it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have oily/acne prone adult skin, and have searched for years for something to keep me clear. I used this for a while and thought it was just ok, nothing special. So I put it aside to try something else. I ended up coming back to this! It seems to prevent many of the breakouts I had been having, and when I do break out, it clears up much faster. I don't plan on straying again anytime soon. It's thin, almost liquid gel, spreads easily, and doesn't sting or burn, but I only use it once a day. If I feel like my skin is dry, I follow with a drop or two of jojoba/tea tree. It's been working well, I'm happier now with my skin than I've been in a very long time! I would prefer if it were in a pump instead of having to "pour" the product out of the bottle, but I will definitely repurchase because it is an effective treatment for me.

**UPDATE** i realized this contains parabens, which i try to avoid. and i also discovered jason's renewal 12 1/2% aha, which has been more effective for my skin.

Thanks to your good reviews I discovered a great product. I started to use it 2 days ago and I can see a big improvement in my combination acne prone skin. My skin is much clear now. I use a very small amount (2-3 drops) in the morning and in the evening in combination with my favorite moisturizer. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, the smell is ok and it did very well its job. Thanks again for your reviews!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Fantastic, organic, blemish/exfoliant for every skintype, including sensitive! 8% AHA (although not in the form of Glycolic Acid), 2% Salicylic Acid, with pH 3.5- 4.0. A yellowish liquid that smooths on to help clear and prevent future breakouts. Due to the blend of natural ingredients, the scent is a bit strange -- kinda a natural/herbal nondescript scent. I use it only at night and either smooth it all over (avoiding the eyes/lip area) or spot apply it to a breakout. It really does help shrink some zits overnight and keeps pores clear. Doesn't irritate my sensitive skin in the least. Highly recommend!

Ingredients: Organic aloe vera, lemon and passionfruit acids, lactic acid, salicylic acid, xanthan gum, clay, organic extracts of oat, calendula, and licorice; Advanced Antioxidant Complex: 5% tocopherols and tocotrienols, Vitamin C (ascorbyl palmitate), alpha lipoic acid, and carotenoid complex with astaxanthin, beta-carotene, lutein, lycopene, and zeaxanthin; essential oils of lavender, rosemary and geranium; propylparaben, methylparaben (mild preservatives) continued >>

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

this is a review for the "leave on exfoliant 6% aha and 2% SA".
i picked this at the whole food store. the ingredients are preety much organic , plus factor is it doesnt have "cones" in it compared to DDF glycolic + SA formula(which contains cyclomethicone). no redness right now...will update after a week.**update(4/19/07)-helps the acne to surface faster. it stings a little.

I love this! I have oily/combo skin that is somewhat breakout prone. This is the best thing for bringing blemishes to a head and is my HG spot treatment for breakouts. It's also great for evening out skintone. It doesn't irritate or do anything negative to my skin at all.