Kevyn Aucoin Volumizing Mascara

No Image

3.8

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I said I'd repurchase but it was a close call. I have long, curled lashes which are light and thin. Recently I've started being sensitive to mascara so I tried a tubing one and I'd heard good things. This hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Pros:
Doesn't irritate my eyes
Doesn't smudge or flake
Easy to remove
Nice dark black mascara. Solid in pigmentation.
Emphasises and holds the curl in my lashes.

Cons:
Doesn't so much volumise as it does clump
Looks fake, and not in an attractive way (eg YSL faux cils).
No separation of lashes what so ever, although to be fair I don't think it claims to. But for me clumping is not volumous and some separation is desirable.

on 7/14/2016 5:31:00 PM

I give this mascara one lippy for being a tubing formula so it was easy to remove BUT this did not volumize my lashes at all and the tube dried out within a month. So disappointing for an expensive hyped up product.

Excellent tubing mascara. The only mascara I've found that doesn't irritate my eyes. Excellent for people who find mascara irritating.

I also love how it doesn't smudge!

I've found that if I get hot and sweaty enough it can come off though.

on 3/29/2016 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

For a tubing mascara, I think this is one is just okay. Usually I can get ridiculously long lashes and volume, but sometimes it clumps and just looks bad. This mascara dries out pretty fast in the tube also. I think for the money I prefer LancĂ´me Definicils, but for a good tubing mascara that gives volume and length without clumping and drying out at a better price, I like DHC Perfect Pro.

Nice quality tubing mascara that ensures no panda eyes and comes off with warm water. I feel it is more lengthening than volumising, really, but it separates my lashes well and makes them a lot more defined. The colour is truly black, too, so even if the lashes don't become so thick, they look well defined, really long and quite visible, perfect for work and in day light. Not much drama though, if that is what you are looking for!
This mascara stays put when I go running and get sweaty or wet in the rain. It also does not easily transfer even if I have an oily moisturiser close to my eyes. This is true for the Kanebo 38C tubing mascaras too, but has been a problem with another tubing mascara, the DHC Perfect Pro Double Protection Mascara. I do love the thin wand of the Kevyn Aucoin mascara, which makes it easy to apply, even on the lashes below the eyes. The thin wand is one of the reasons why I really like the DHC mascara.
The mascara is easy to remove with warm water, and it comes off in rather large chunks, larger than the Kanebo and DHC tubing mascaras. The Kevyn Aucoin comes off my lashes more easily than the others, but the residue sticks on my face. Hence, it can take a little effort to get all the little, black bits off my face. I use a fascial sponge flannel (Body Shop or Kanebo Sensai), the type that dries very quickly and stiffens when dry, for removal of tubing mascara and my make up - convenient and truly great!
Can I have found my perfect tubing mascara with thin wand, really black, with clear definition and great staying power, even for runs in the rain and when wearing somewhat oily moisturisers? I am always on the search for my HG tubing mascara, but this comes pretty close!

on 11/18/2014 4:23:00 AM

I have found my HG mascara!! Ok, so I haven't used any other tubing mascara, this is my first but I don't think I need to look any further because this IS the only mascara that doesn't smudge on my eyes! This has been truly lifechanging, prior to this mascara I would only wear mascara on special occasions, or going out - but only in the evening - because my mascara would always - within the hour - be on my lower lash line, giving me panda eyes.
This mascara does not do that - and I have tried MANY mascaras.
It applies quite wet but dries quickly so as other reviewers have mentioned it is hard to build. I am okay with that because to me this is better than no mascara, which I have had to put up with for years.
Additionally this mascara comes off really easily with cleanser and water or a makeup wipe. It doesn't leave any residue so you won't wake up with mascara around your eyes...I cannot rave enough about this product!
Perhaps one day I will venture out and try another tubing mascara but for now this is the love of my life.
Oh and I only gave the packing 3 lipsticks because I have noticed it dries a bit around the opening - more so than other mascaras I have used...but it hasn't seemed to have affected the product - but it was just something I noticed about the packaging.

on 11/2/2014 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

This is for The Volume Mascara - the tube mascara.

This was the first tube mascara I've ever used. I didn't even know these existed until I accidentally bought this mascara and researched more into it because I wanted to find reviews.

Tube mascaras have a reputation of not smudging and staying put even through tears and sweat. They are meant to to stay on all day and, to take them off, you just need a little bit of warm water to rub your eyes with. That way it simply rubs off and you can see the little 'tubes' in the sink.

I made sure I use this for at least a month before I review, and it's been two months now. I really like this mascara, because it's the first mascara I've used that hasn't smudged by the end of the day. I don't have any funny flakes and no panda eyes. When I wash my face in the evening, I still don't have panda eyes, which means that I don't have to go over my eyes with eye makeup remover. Whatever I wash my face with is absolutely fine. That's quite a change from previous mascaras.
I also cried in this mascara (as one does), and there were no tell tale signs either (aside of slightly reddened eyes).

I've read that these types of mascaras aren't really good for building up, and I kind of agree there. You're not going to have the false lash effect with this mascara (even though it says "volume mascara" on the packaging). But you can build it up to two coats if you work quickly.

It's great for every day, but for a night out, I'd go back to my smudging volume mascaras for full effect. It's dark anyway.... no one will see my panda eyes..... cos they drunk anyway.... ;-).

on 9/11/2014 4:56:00 AM

Disappoint. Heard soo many good reviews but to me, it's just an average mascara. It clumps and looks pretty fake and doesn't even lengthen that much !

on 7/21/2014 11:07:00 AM

If I ran out, I MIGHT buy it again. Still on the fence. Been using this a few weeks. "Tubing" technology is a new one for me. What a concept. In case you've never tried it, it looks more or less like regular mascara when you put it on—wet black goop, but it comes off like bits of latex paint.

PROS:
- natural look if using one coat
- removal is a breeze (it just rolls up and off)
- very gentle on the eyes & surrounding skin
- nice lash separation (but only with one coat)
- no smudging or flaking or transfer

CONS:
- expensive
- one coat limit
- extremely BLACK (though some might like this)

on 12/3/2013 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm not a fan. My lashes are longish, straight with blond tips, and I usually go for dramatic, volumizing mascaras. I've tried a tubing mascara before (by Blinc) and I liked it, especially for no fuss makeup days. But removal is always an issue for me because if I wear eyeshadow or liner I need to use a makeup remover, but then it makes my lashes a mess and makes it more difficult to remove the tubes with warm water. So I was using tons of warm water to remove the mascara then having to kind of pat my makeup-ed face dry and use a remover (on a cotton pad) for the rest of my eye makeup, then my usual cleanser. Not a very streamlined way to do things and I don't even wear heavy makeup. But I love the KA products I own and have wanted to try this for years.

I like the super skinny wand and the slim metal packaging. It's long wearing (once it dries) and won't smudge or transfer, and it holds a curl all day long. Love that about it. But it clumps right off the bat so that I end up having to use a lash comb while it's wet, and even then it still clumps together. It also makes my lashes look crispy and stiff. It doesn't add noticeable volume but it did add some length and a nice deep color. No fragrance or irritation.

I really hated the way it made my lashes look and feel and the work involved with applying and combing out and the extra steps for removal.

Popular Mascaras