Kat Von D Shade + Light Eye Contour Quad in Plum

Kat Von D Shade + Light Eye Contour Quad in Plum
KvD quad Plum

3.5

on 9/17/2018 6:58:00 PM

I came across this shadow at Ross and for $9.00 I thought I would give it a try because this brand seems so popular. I found that it has a great deal of fall out when you tap your brush. I had to build shadow 2-3 times in order to get the depth of color I wanted.

on 7/22/2018 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Normally I would not consider purchasing a quad, particularly when it costs $26 at full price. However, this was on sale for $15 so I took the opportunity to snag one. The shades inside are beautiful, very pigmented, and suit me well. The shadows are easy to apply and blend and they last a long time without fading. Unfortunately, I believe the quads are being discontinued so I will have to look elsewhere for similar colors in the future. Were this not the case I would consider repurchasing even with the hefty price tag.

on 4/22/2018 5:55:00 PM

I bought this on sale and was really excited to try it because I love Kat Von D products in general. I wanted to get the sage quad too but it was sold out. After trying this one I'm not too disappointed that I couldn't get the other one.

I was in love with the pastel goth palette for a long time and ended up using almost the entire thing so I assumed these shadows would be just as good in terms of blendability. I was wrong. I swatched the shades first and was disappointed immediately in how patchy they were, especially the dark purple define shade. You cant always go by swatches though so I went ahead and gave them a try.

I used concealer as primer and set it, then went in with the transition or contour shade. It blended out just fine, no complaints with this one. You just have to barely tap your brush on these shadows to get enough on the brush, otherwise you'll kick up lots of powder.

Next I used the base shade and it was fine too, it's a nice pinkish tone that goes well with the plum shades. Then the define shade, and this is where it falls apart. It goes on patchy and it took me FOREVER to blend it out with a mac 224. The highlight shade was pretty good, decently pigmented for such a light color.

I still wasn't completely sold on the end look, but it was ok. Overall I spent around 20 minutes just on my eyeshadow for a look I was just ok with but it must have looked good because a complete stranger complimented me.

I really wanted to love this one but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I doubt I'll return it, probably just pass it along or keep it for the other shades in the palette that blend ok. I do love the packaging, the mirror is nice but a little small to be really useful unless you're just doing a touch up.

on 11/11/2017 3:15:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Of all four quads Plum is the best with four true mattes and a look that truly does go from shade to light. As in all the other quads the base and highlight shades are very powdery,
I used the pink/cream highlight on the lid, the brownish/rose base as transition/contour, mauve contour to deepen and the very dark plum to line and define.
I could see all four of the shades on my lid even after blending. If you want to try one of Kat von D's quads this is the one.

on 10/13/2017 9:11:00 AM

This is my favorite eyeshadow formula I have ever tried! They are so smooth and pigmented that application and blending are a breeze. With the exception of the deepest shade, pigment and blendability is there, but mine has zero fallout unlike the others and seems more dry and tightly packed for some reason. I actually wish they were all this way because there is an exceptional amount of powdery kick up when you dip your brush too aggressively in the other shades even when being careful. So I took a lippie off for that. But it doesn't matter to me because the result is gorgeous!

I pair it with Stila Stay All Day liquid lipstick in Baci, a nude-ish lavender grey and it's stunning! I also purchased the Smoke quad and love it just as much. The perfect cool taupe, grey, deep dark black, and white highlighter are a perfect combination. I love having it all in one spot, no guess work or digging around for a base, transition, crease, and highlight. The case it comes in is very sturdy and shaped like a coffin. The lid includes a mirror and opens only to a 90 degree angle which keeps it from tipping over and staying up without holding it.

10/10 I would recommend with the warning to be gentle with the brush and simply touch your brush to it to prevent kicking up powder.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

The colors in this quad look beautiful in the package...& thats where the pros to this quad end. I was excited to try this since the formula to kats "shade & light" eye palette are so wonderful & blendable. But unfortunately kat changed her formula for these so they could be vegan, & after trying many different brands (& kats vegan products.) Ive learned that vegan shadow= crappy shadow, especially for matte shades. Go to sephora & swatch a shade & light eye palette & then swatch one of these quads & you will see exactly what i mean. These colors are chalky & patchy. Also very dry & just do not blend well, felt like i was using a matte i bought from the drugstore, not worth the pricepoint for how crappy the formula is. I wish kat would go back to not being vegan because all her eyeshadows have been crap since she changed her formula. I also tried the metalmatte & had thesame problems as i did with this. Dont waste your money, if you want high quality matte shadows in these colors i suggest getting abh, way better & blend like a dream. Dont buy this just because you like the shade & light because they are NOTHING alike!!

on 11/30/2016 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I really struggled with this, both in shades and application. It's very pigmented, but has minimal slip and I found it difficult to work with. It didn't matter if I used different primers, no primers, different brushes...it applied really patchy and wouldn't blend. In addition, it has the wrong undertones for my pale yellow skin. It pulled too red and made me look muddy and sick. I also had some creasing at the end of the day which is not pretty and I haven't had with the large Shade and Light palette. Not for me!

on 10/12/2016 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This eyeshadow quad is a dream to work with. In fact they are by far the smoothest matte shadows that I own. Though only four shades, I feel like you can create a variety of looks from this quad, from a understated and everyday pinky plum look to full on plum smokey eye.

The shadows are very velvet-y, but does kick up a good amount of product. I’ve experiences a little bit of fallout, but nowhere near as much as I expected with such a "loose" formula. It's not a situation where you're screwed if you happen to do your face before your eyes, or anything. Speaking of the loose formula - I suspect these eyeshadow won't make it through a drop unharmed, so this quad might not be perfect for travelling. Just my guess, though, hopefully I won't have to find out if it's correct.

All shadows are pigmented, though the contour shade is a little more sheer. It's still buildable, though. Personally I prefer it that way, as I'd rather build up this colour if I'm using it in my crease - I find that on my very fair skin I need to have a pretty light hand with this shade when I use it in the crease anyway, or I might look like I've been punched in the eye... Thankfully the contour shade also blends incredibly effortlessly. Sometimes when I'm in a rush and don't do a good enough job knocking off the excess I get a really intense payoff where I first touched the brush to my skin. I keep thinking it'll be a pain to blend out, but it just blends out in 0.5 seconds and with basically no effort. Truly amazing!

The highlighter shade is not quite as matte as the other ones. It's hard to pinpoint the shade, but I'd say it's a matte that packs a little bit of a punch. Perhaps it's just that it's such a light shade, or maybe there's a very subtle sheen in there, but it does come off as more brightening than I find that most complete matte shadows do. I also really enjoy that they've not just thrown in the standard stark white highlighter in there - this one has a faint lavender undertone that fits in with the rest of the shades beautifully. I don't have any other shadow that looks quite like that shade.

I use all shadows with primer (I'm cursed with oily, shadow-repellant eyelids), and it lasts well throughout the day. Sometimes, if I do my eyes with this quad and find that I need to brighten up my day (and my eyes) I add a little loose iridescent pigment from Makeup Geek to the center of the eye, and it looks amazing on top of the pink base shadow.

In other news, I know Kat von D is reformulating her non-vegan products, but as far as I can tell from her website this quad isn’t vegan yet (though one of the other quads, ”Sage” is).

+ Cruelty free
+ Smooooooth
+ Pigmented
+ Easy to blend
+ Works for many different occasions and looks
+ I’m particularly fond of the looks of the base shade and the highlighter shade, they’re just so nice!

- A little bit pricey (though all duos/trios/quads are usually more expensive per gram/oz than bigger palettes, and I don’t find the price unreasonable for a product of this quality)
- Not completely sold on the packaging, it could use some spicing up. I’d like it to be a little more sleek and less bulky. It also feels quite plastic-y
- You might have some fallout, if that’s a turnoff for you (personally I don’t think it's enough to be considered a problem)

on 5/2/2016 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

What's not to love? I have the large shade and light eye contouring palette and I love it too but I was getting pretty tired of the browns. This quad has beautiful highly pigmented plum shades. They seem powdery but there is no fall out when applying and they blend easily. The price is fantastic when I compare it to my expensive Lancombe and Dior palettes that cost over $60 each. Those expensive quads each contain at least one shadow that I will never wear because of being too sparkly or too dark, whereas I can wear every shade in this quad. I would definitely repurchase and I'll probably buy some of the other quads too. Took off 1 lippie for packaging because while it's fine, it's nothing special.

on 4/18/2016 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I truly adore this quad. I was so excited when KVD started showing these quads on her Instagram, and when I saw that a plum palette was coming out, I nearly lost my mind. So I managed to pick this up at my local Sephora before they were even put out on the display. (I have friends in high places there, haha!)
First off, every shade in this palette is stunning. The deep plum has a wamer, reddish kind of undertone to it that makes it very flattering on warmer skin tones like mine, rather than looking like a bruise. The purple-taupe shade is a stunning crease color, and the peachy-pink shade is perfect all over the lid. The lightest shade, for me, is a real star. It's not white, so it's not too stark to use as a matte highlight on the browbone or inner corner. It's got a gorgeous pink hue to it that makes it soooo flattering and subtle.
The formula of these shadows is amazing. They are super pigmented (seriously, just tap your brush in once and tap off the excess or you'll apply waaaay too much), and they blend like an absolute dream. They can be a little powdery, but there's never any fallout and they don't look chalky or dry. It's truly a beautiful formula.
The packaging feels a little weak, but it looks gorgeous. And there's a little mirror in there! Woohoo! Honestly, I don't carry my palettes around with me, and if I take one to travel, I keep it in my padded makeup bag, so there's little chance of it breaking. I don't really worry about sturdiness when it comes to eyeshadow palettes.
The price at $26 really isn't bad considering the quality. It's a pretty comfortable price for a high-end makeup item. (Honestly, I don't see the point in complaining about price when it comes to high-end makeup, seeing as you know what you're getting into. Unless it's exorbitant, it's kind of a "what did you expect" sort of thing.)
I will definitely repurchase this palette when I hit pan, and I may pick up the sage and rust tone quads as well.