MDSolarSciences MD Creme Mineral Beauty Balm SPF 50

MDSolarSciences MD Creme Mineral Beauty Balm SPF 50

4.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For me, this is HG. Physical sunscreen (non-nano zinc) SPF 50, broad spectrum. Smoothing silicone but dries to a powdery, soft matte finish. It's water resistant to 80 minutes, too, so I don't have to worry on hot days that it's melting off my face and not working. Sheer tint -- I can wear it alone for casual days or add coverage over it. I like that it's not full coverage like the popular It Cosmetics CC cream, which looks too makeup-y for me a lot of the time. It looks like my skin, slightly evened out, which is how I prefer to look most days. Fragrance free, thankfully -- wish more companies would get this right. It is expensive and I'm sure I will be buying a tube a month at the rate I use it, but it ticks a lot of boxes for me. I think I will keep buying it.

on 4/1/2016 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've had this sunscreen for several months, and I have not suffered any breakouts from it. I have very sensitive skin and this isn't irritating at all. It's an all-physical sunscreen with a high SPF rating that wears well under liquid foundations and powder foundations. This has the same silicone feel as many of the Smashbox primers or Benefit's Porefessional, however; in addition to having a blurring effect, this "beauty balm" also contains mineral sunscreens which are suitable for sensitive skin. It's like a primer with sun protection.

PROS:

1. This has an SPF rating of 50.
2. Has the same feel and texture of many primers that are designed for oily skin.
3. Tinted, so there is no white cast.
4. Comes in two shades. I wear Light/Medium but there is also a darker shade.
5. Does not clog pores.
6. Although it feels slippery going on, due to the dimethicone, it does not feel greasy or heavy even after hours of wear.
7. Acts as a primer under foundation.
8. Contains caffeine to reduce redness as well as antioxidants.
9. Contains niacinamide (also known as Vitamin B3).
10. Fragrance free
11. Tube packaging is easy for travel.
12. Has the same smoothing or blurring effect as pore minimizers that rely on dimethicone.
13. Safe for sensitive skin.
14. Cruelty free brand.

CONS:

1. If you're not used to wearing primer, this has a very slippery feel that you need to become accustomed to. However, it's not greasy.
2. Although this is tinted, it looks best under foundation rather than worn alone.
3. Extremely fair skin might find the Light-Medium shade to be too dark.
4. It is somewhat expensive at $39 for 1.2 ounces.

INGREDIENTS:

Active Ingredients: 2% Titanium Dioxide, 17% Zinc Oxide; Inactive ingredients: Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Isostearate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Polysilicone-15, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Iron oxide, Caffeine, Niacinamide, Ubiquinone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract.