Pacifica Rainbow Gloss Top Coat

Pacifica Rainbow Gloss Top Coat
Rainbow Gloss Top Coat

4.3

This is the best holographic top coat I’ve found, as it doesn’t block the color underneath from showing through. The holo effect is stunning, too. The fact that it’s 7-free is even better.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Holographic finishes are uber popular in the indie world. But the drugstore? Not so much, save for Color Club. The few holographic topcoats that do appear are usually scattered holos such as China Glaze Fairy Dust in my experience. This is one of the few linear holographic topcoats on the drugstore market. I like that Pacifica provided an option for people that don't want to or can't buy online.

As for the actual polish, one coat over your chosen polish will give you a beautiful wash of rainbows. It will gray the base slightly, but that is typical of a linear holo topcoat. It won't completely change the color. If anything, it'll lighten it up. I've had compliments on my nails over how beautiful it pairs with cremes.

It's identical to many linear holo toppers (there are some more intense ones) on the indie end so it's not unique. But if you want to try linear holo out or don't want to spend $15 on an indie polish, this is a solid option.

on 3/18/2016 2:03:00 PM

Pacifica's Rainbow Gloss Top Coat is a holographic top coat with very tiny, very dense particles in a clear base. Not a glitter top coat, it's supposed to give more of a linear holo effect. One lightly applied layer adds some rainbow-sparkly sheen. And two coats will completely transform your nail color into a holographic shade, albeit a much lighter, much grayer one.

I layered this over a dark blue shade and the end results looked very much like Color Club's Blue Heaven. Okay, but you can just buy Blue Heaven. I've tried pairing this top coat with different polishes and the results are twinkly but grayish. My mind was not blown by this product. I don't know why I had such high expectations, but I did.

This is a fun polish to play around with, and a linear holographic top coat is not something that is offered by many brands outside of the indie companies. But I don't love this and I wouldn't buy it again.