L'Oreal Paris Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
L'Oreal Paris Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

3.9

AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM. AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM.

on 4/27/2018 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have tried so many shampoos. High end and drugstore. I have a lot of fine and slightly wavy hair. My roots tend to get oily while my ends are normal to dry. I do color my hair. I decided to try this shampoo. I’m glad I did. I’m on my 3 bottle and I hardly repurchase the same shampoo. The shampoo can leave my hair feeling a little dry in the shower. I use another more moisturizing conditioner from LOreal. When my hair is dry,my hair feels soft. Not frizzy or dried out. My roots stay normal. I can go 2 days without washing my hair. That’s saying a lot. I’ll continue to repurchase

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Elvive's Citrus.CR shampoo for oily hair was my holy grail shampoo for years, until it discontinued. It had a refreshing scent, gave extra volume to my hair and really cleaned off the excess oil from my scalp. I'm really sad Elvive got rid of it. But of course I wanted to try their new shampoo for oily hair and got this, although I didn't have much hope.

I have flaking skin on my t-zone and it's on the oily side too. I use a clay mask on that area once a week. So when I saw 'clay' in this shampoo I thought it would do a good job cleaning the dandruff, just like my clay masks do on my t-zone. I wasn't wrong on that. But I also thought...clay masks don't really do anything on how oily my t-zone is. I can't generalize but for me personally imagine all the ingredients that clean off the excess oil like acidic stuff, alcohol, etc out of all, clay always did the poorest job. I would have my t-zone oil-free for MINUTES and then the oil would come back. This shampoo did exactly that on my scalp. With the Citrus.CR shampoo I could go days without washing my hair and still have volume and unless I touched my hair, my scalp wouldn't be THAT oily. With this clay shampoo the volume isn't even close to the result of Citrus.CR and the oil comes back pretty fast. I didn't like the scent either.

I expect three things in a shampoo: give volume, control the oil on my scalp as much as possible, good scent. Sadly, this shampoo didn't provide any of that.

This has lasted me a long time. I use it as one of my regular shampoos, but I have sampled a handful of different brands while using this, so my bottles of these have lasted 3+ months with probably a good month of use left! It's perfect for my hair type, the formula without silicones & protein work well for me. (Still contains sulfates but more on that below...)

The amount of product is A LOT. Many drugstore shampoos I use, even at higher prices, don't contain as much product - and additionally, I find this to be so much more concentrated than the others. (For instance, I only have to shampoo once with this vs twice or more with other drugstore shampoos.) So that's quite the bargain for a brand that I feel always has very quality products from hair to cosmetic items.

I like this shampoo and conditioner because at the moment my hair is really in it's normal state: which for me, "normal" is not over-processed or damaged, but really unbalanced. Having processed hair changes the texture of my hair a little (coarsens it), allowing me to use more heavily moisturizing products without having scalp issues. But when my hair is "healthy," my ends are difficult to keep soft since my natural hair oils have a hard time traveling down to my ends, due to my huge S-curl pattern, 2b-2c wavy hair.

Because right now my hair isn't dry from over-processing, I can use sulfates more easily because I still have a good amount of natural oil buildup to get rid of. (Whereas when my hair is bleached, it is less oily all over, so I tend to use sulfates much less.)

For me, it usually doesn't work to use different products on top and then an end treatment, because while my hair is of a medium strand thickness, it is also somewhat low density so usually every product I use migrates from root to tip, making buildup problems worse.

This formula without silicones contributes way less to buildup-prone hair and scalp. I'm not anti silicones at all times but usually when I see them in a shampoo, for my already oily scalp, it makes me feel like it's going to add more product that would need buildup removal vs what I want my shampoo to do: remove most all buildup.

The other thing I'd like to point out about my hair type, is that it's very low porosity when in a "healthy" state. Proteins that have some penetrating properties, basically overload the dryer parts of my hair shaft (those ends) without absorbing what is needed and rinsing the rest away. This causes me a really bad protein overload/buildup that makes my dry ends stiff like hay, very hard, brittle, and prickly. So one thing I appreciate about this formula is that it's protein free!

I would recommend this to someone without damaged or chemically lightened/processed hair. Because this is a sulfate shampoo, it would be best for someone who wants a shampoo that contributes to regular gentle clarifying, such as oily hair/scalp. This is especially good for people who also need moisture but don't want to use silicones, like curly or wavy haired people with protein sensitivity or buildup prone low porosity strands.

on 10/25/2017 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my back-up shampoo. The Aussie Moist is still my favorite- but this is close behind that.

Helps with oily roots (at least doesn't make them worse!), does not dry out my hair, and lathers easily. Cleans well.
Would repurchase if needed

Edit: I'm going to stick to my Aussie moist shampoo. Still the best. I won't be purchasing this again- not a bad shampoo, just not better in my opinion than Aussie

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I wanted to try this shampoo to see if it would help with my hair which gets greasy by the evening but I was hesitant to purchase because I did not want it to dry out my hair.
The scent out of the bottle was okay but when I lathered it up oh my goodness I fell in love.
I absolutely love the scent of this! It is very nice and smells more high end.
It has a nice lather which I only focused on my scalp in order to avoid drying the length of my hair.
Your hair is left clean shiny, and smelling great!
Like others have mentioned I received compliments on my hair often.
It added some shine to my hair and after a couple of washes, I did notice that it did seem to keep my hair less oily. I could go a little longer without washing but not a full two days.
My hair has slightly more volume but it did not do anything to help smooth my frizz and if anything made it look worse.
Coming to an end of the bottle I still love the scent, however, my hair is still too dry (after using Tresemme smooth n silky which dried my hair out). It did help soften my hair but after the damage, the other shampoo and conditioner combo did I need something more nourishing.

I think this would be great if you do not have any frizz issues or dry damaged hair.
If you have normal hair or oily hair I think this would be great for you.
I may repurchase in the future but it is not very high on my list for repurchase as I need more smoothing for my hair.

on 3/28/2017 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I love this shampoo/conditioner. I have naturally oily hair and my ends do tend to get split ends and be dry because I usually "fix up" my natural waves in the morning with a curling iron. The scent is very fresh and clean, it reminds me of a shampoo scent my Nana would wash my hair with when I was little.

I do think this could weigh fine/thin hair down, I have thick, wavy hair and I have noticed that I do have a little less volume because of the added moisture. If that is a problem you think you'd be up against, I'd suggest only using the conditioner. (I used it with a clarifying shampoo and it worked fine)

Overall i would buy it again but I don't think it would work as well for someone that has very fine hair or thin hair.

on 3/2/2017 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this shampoo! It makes my hair feel really clean and nice. It deeply cleanses my hair, so I don't use it every time I shampoo my hair, but it is good at removing buildup and such. The conditioner in this line is great too! The price can't be beat either, as far as I'm concerned! This is good for my hair which is kind of oily, but dry in areas too. The conditioner is a great product to use with this shampoo too! My hair feels really fresh and clean after using both.