L'Oreal Paris Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

Filtered by skin type : Combination
L'Oreal Paris Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

3.3

AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM. AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Elvive's Citrus.CR shampoo for oily hair was my holy grail shampoo for years, until it discontinued. It had a refreshing scent, gave extra volume to my hair and really cleaned off the excess oil from my scalp. I'm really sad Elvive got rid of it. But of course I wanted to try their new shampoo for oily hair and got this, although I didn't have much hope.

I have flaking skin on my t-zone and it's on the oily side too. I use a clay mask on that area once a week. So when I saw 'clay' in this shampoo I thought it would do a good job cleaning the dandruff, just like my clay masks do on my t-zone. I wasn't wrong on that. But I also thought...clay masks don't really do anything on how oily my t-zone is. I can't generalize but for me personally imagine all the ingredients that clean off the excess oil like acidic stuff, alcohol, etc out of all, clay always did the poorest job. I would have my t-zone oil-free for MINUTES and then the oil would come back. This shampoo did exactly that on my scalp. With the Citrus.CR shampoo I could go days without washing my hair and still have volume and unless I touched my hair, my scalp wouldn't be THAT oily. With this clay shampoo the volume isn't even close to the result of Citrus.CR and the oil comes back pretty fast. I didn't like the scent either.

I expect three things in a shampoo: give volume, control the oil on my scalp as much as possible, good scent. Sadly, this shampoo didn't provide any of that.

This has lasted me a long time. I use it as one of my regular shampoos, but I have sampled a handful of different brands while using this, so my bottles of these have lasted 3+ months with probably a good month of use left! It's perfect for my hair type, the formula without silicones & protein work well for me. (Still contains sulfates but more on that below...)

The amount of product is A LOT. Many drugstore shampoos I use, even at higher prices, don't contain as much product - and additionally, I find this to be so much more concentrated than the others. (For instance, I only have to shampoo once with this vs twice or more with other drugstore shampoos.) So that's quite the bargain for a brand that I feel always has very quality products from hair to cosmetic items.

I like this shampoo and conditioner because at the moment my hair is really in it's normal state: which for me, "normal" is not over-processed or damaged, but really unbalanced. Having processed hair changes the texture of my hair a little (coarsens it), allowing me to use more heavily moisturizing products without having scalp issues. But when my hair is "healthy," my ends are difficult to keep soft since my natural hair oils have a hard time traveling down to my ends, due to my huge S-curl pattern, 2b-2c wavy hair.

Because right now my hair isn't dry from over-processing, I can use sulfates more easily because I still have a good amount of natural oil buildup to get rid of. (Whereas when my hair is bleached, it is less oily all over, so I tend to use sulfates much less.)

For me, it usually doesn't work to use different products on top and then an end treatment, because while my hair is of a medium strand thickness, it is also somewhat low density so usually every product I use migrates from root to tip, making buildup problems worse.

This formula without silicones contributes way less to buildup-prone hair and scalp. I'm not anti silicones at all times but usually when I see them in a shampoo, for my already oily scalp, it makes me feel like it's going to add more product that would need buildup removal vs what I want my shampoo to do: remove most all buildup.

The other thing I'd like to point out about my hair type, is that it's very low porosity when in a "healthy" state. Proteins that have some penetrating properties, basically overload the dryer parts of my hair shaft (those ends) without absorbing what is needed and rinsing the rest away. This causes me a really bad protein overload/buildup that makes my dry ends stiff like hay, very hard, brittle, and prickly. So one thing I appreciate about this formula is that it's protein free!

I would recommend this to someone without damaged or chemically lightened/processed hair. Because this is a sulfate shampoo, it would be best for someone who wants a shampoo that contributes to regular gentle clarifying, such as oily hair/scalp. This is especially good for people who also need moisture but don't want to use silicones, like curly or wavy haired people with protein sensitivity or buildup prone low porosity strands.

I really thought that this would work for me. I have fine hair; oily roots and dry ends. Lots of buildup. I bought this because my previous shampoo made my hair feel heavy and sticky. This somehow made it feel so much worse. I tried once with the mask beforehand, and once without. My hair feels horrible. 😓

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I've been searching for a shampoo that will clean my roots properly without drying my scalp and hair out, and this is THE ONE. I used to have normal hair but it all changed after having kids. I found if I used shampoos that were slightly on the nourishing side, or didn't blow dry my hair completely my roots tended get oily again within the same day. It made me feel a lot happier not having to disguise greasy hair that's less than a day old. My wallet will love it too cos it's a supermarket product!

I am surprised at how much I like this, I was afraid it was all gimmick and no results. I purchased only the shampoo - not the conditioner or pre-treatment. The shampoo is great though - lathers really well, cleans deeply without being drying, pleasant scent. My hair seems shinier after using this as well. I've followed it with my usual conditioner (Pureology Hydrate Light) so I can't attest to using the shampoo on its own - it may in fact be a bit drying. But with a good conditioner I'm really enjoying the results. Hair feels very light and clean.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Love this product! I'm a person who had extremely oily hair. I'm talking about hair that looks like I can fry an egg on it after only a few hours of showering. My hair would be weighed down cause of the oil and I tried everything to fix it. This shampoo really helps control my oil. I went two days without washing my hair and I had no oil breakthrough. It's been amazing! The smell is very pleasant and it lathers nicely. I was skeptical about it but I'm so glad I tried it! The only problem I see is that the packaging for the shampoo doesn't distinguish it apart from the conditioner so I'm constantly reaching for the wrong one! Lol

I bought this because I have oily roots and dry ends. And on the packaging it promise you to help you with that. It makes my hair very dry (frizzy) and flat. I would not recomend it to anyone.

on 11/12/2016 11:37:00 PM

This is for the ANTI DANDRUFF VERSION, so if someone has tried both and found a difference between the 2, PLEASE PM me!

This sounded perfect. A shampoo for oily roots with DANDRUFF and dry ends! WOAH! It was like a gift direct from heaven... too bad it didn't work.

The scent is nice and clean. With frequent use, my scalp gets really sore and more hair starts falling out. Does not seem to control the oil or dandruff. I am really disappointed.