L'Oreal Paris Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

L'Oreal Paris Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

3.3

AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM. AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM.

on 5/7/2018 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I thought that this product would exactly what is said, because I have oily roots and dry ends. It made my hair feel worse than ever before. My hair felt somewhat clean after I used it, but it still felt like there was build up in my roots. I felt like I had to wash my hair everyday and I wouldn't dare miss a day because my hair started to smell. I do not recommend this product, it does not do what it says! Pantene works much better.

on 5/7/2018 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

If I could give this shampoo a negative rating, I would. I have an oily scalp and color-treated hair, and was looking for a shampoo to help with greasiness. This! This is not it. It not only DESTROYED the ends of my hair over the period of two weeks, it made my scalp even oilier. Instead of my hair looking slick after about 24 hours, I had oily roots after about 4 hours. So, so, SO bad.

The conditioner is better (not good, but better), but I really don't recommend this shampoo AT ALL.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have a ton of fine hair with a scalp that can get oily and irritated. This made my scalp sore, and my hair was actually too stripped by it. I will admit my hair was still fluffy the next morning, but my roots seemed weirdly like they had some kind of buildup. Maybe this could work for someone with less finicky hair and skin.

on 4/27/2018 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have tried so many shampoos. High end and drugstore. I have a lot of fine and slightly wavy hair. My roots tend to get oily while my ends are normal to dry. I do color my hair. I decided to try this shampoo. I’m glad I did. I’m on my 3 bottle and I hardly repurchase the same shampoo. The shampoo can leave my hair feeling a little dry in the shower. I use another more moisturizing conditioner from LOreal. When my hair is dry,my hair feels soft. Not frizzy or dried out. My roots stay normal. I can go 2 days without washing my hair. That’s saying a lot. I’ll continue to repurchase

on 3/15/2018 6:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This stuff leaves my long, fine hair so unbelievably flat I was sure it's loaded with silicones, surprised to find out in contains none. I mean it does the job, my hair feels "washed", but that's about it, I still need to shampoo every other day so the promise of keeping hair clean for 3 days is a bit exaggarated.

on 2/7/2018 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a great shampoo when used with the conditioner.

- My hair is down to my hips/buttocks area, and I am growing out a balayage from 2 years ago (so moderate damage at the ends)

- I have naturally straight fine/medium hair with greasy roots and somewhat dry ends (even drier at the tips, I need a trim). I don't use heat appliances on my hair

- This shampoo has a lovely fresh scent to it, not too perfumey, but just right.

- I wash my hair a couple times a week and my hair still feel soft at the ends, and only needs a little dry shampoo/baby powder on the roots after the 2nd to 3rd day (mostly around my hairline).

- I don't feel the need to use a serum or leave in conditioner afterward and just let my hair air dry completely before brushing it.

I highly recommend! I'm just sad I can't find the big bottles at Walmart anymore. :(

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Elvive's Citrus.CR shampoo for oily hair was my holy grail shampoo for years, until it discontinued. It had a refreshing scent, gave extra volume to my hair and really cleaned off the excess oil from my scalp. I'm really sad Elvive got rid of it. But of course I wanted to try their new shampoo for oily hair and got this, although I didn't have much hope.

I have flaking skin on my t-zone and it's on the oily side too. I use a clay mask on that area once a week. So when I saw 'clay' in this shampoo I thought it would do a good job cleaning the dandruff, just like my clay masks do on my t-zone. I wasn't wrong on that. But I also thought...clay masks don't really do anything on how oily my t-zone is. I can't generalize but for me personally imagine all the ingredients that clean off the excess oil like acidic stuff, alcohol, etc out of all, clay always did the poorest job. I would have my t-zone oil-free for MINUTES and then the oil would come back. This shampoo did exactly that on my scalp. With the Citrus.CR shampoo I could go days without washing my hair and still have volume and unless I touched my hair, my scalp wouldn't be THAT oily. With this clay shampoo the volume isn't even close to the result of Citrus.CR and the oil comes back pretty fast. I didn't like the scent either.

I expect three things in a shampoo: give volume, control the oil on my scalp as much as possible, good scent. Sadly, this shampoo didn't provide any of that.

on 11/17/2017 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Where have you been all my life?!? My scalp is oily but my hair ends to be a bit dry due to the chemical processing and blow drying, etc. My scalp is totally oil free for nearly two days when I use this line. It does not make my ends feel drier. I do have frizz issues regardless of what I use (curly, fine hair). I can deal/combat frizz with other products but I hate using a shampoo or conditioner that makes me oilier or worse...greasy. This has been a God send. When I have time, I also use the mask in this line.

on 11/13/2017 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This shampoo was made for my hair! I have a lot of straight, fine hair that’s naturally very oily (12 hours after washing it’s normally a greasy mess). With this shampoo, I can go all day without my scalp looking like a grease pit and it doesn’t weigh my hair down. It’s a miracle! I can also get away with washing my hair less (1 day, not a full 2 days). I feel and notice a visible difference in my hair whenever I use this. It doesn’t dry my hair out, either.

This has lasted me a long time. I use it as one of my regular shampoos, but I have sampled a handful of different brands while using this, so my bottles of these have lasted 3+ months with probably a good month of use left! It's perfect for my hair type, the formula without silicones & protein work well for me. (Still contains sulfates but more on that below...)

The amount of product is A LOT. Many drugstore shampoos I use, even at higher prices, don't contain as much product - and additionally, I find this to be so much more concentrated than the others. (For instance, I only have to shampoo once with this vs twice or more with other drugstore shampoos.) So that's quite the bargain for a brand that I feel always has very quality products from hair to cosmetic items.

I like this shampoo and conditioner because at the moment my hair is really in it's normal state: which for me, "normal" is not over-processed or damaged, but really unbalanced. Having processed hair changes the texture of my hair a little (coarsens it), allowing me to use more heavily moisturizing products without having scalp issues. But when my hair is "healthy," my ends are difficult to keep soft since my natural hair oils have a hard time traveling down to my ends, due to my huge S-curl pattern, 2b-2c wavy hair.

Because right now my hair isn't dry from over-processing, I can use sulfates more easily because I still have a good amount of natural oil buildup to get rid of. (Whereas when my hair is bleached, it is less oily all over, so I tend to use sulfates much less.)

For me, it usually doesn't work to use different products on top and then an end treatment, because while my hair is of a medium strand thickness, it is also somewhat low density so usually every product I use migrates from root to tip, making buildup problems worse.

This formula without silicones contributes way less to buildup-prone hair and scalp. I'm not anti silicones at all times but usually when I see them in a shampoo, for my already oily scalp, it makes me feel like it's going to add more product that would need buildup removal vs what I want my shampoo to do: remove most all buildup.

The other thing I'd like to point out about my hair type, is that it's very low porosity when in a "healthy" state. Proteins that have some penetrating properties, basically overload the dryer parts of my hair shaft (those ends) without absorbing what is needed and rinsing the rest away. This causes me a really bad protein overload/buildup that makes my dry ends stiff like hay, very hard, brittle, and prickly. So one thing I appreciate about this formula is that it's protein free!

I would recommend this to someone without damaged or chemically lightened/processed hair. Because this is a sulfate shampoo, it would be best for someone who wants a shampoo that contributes to regular gentle clarifying, such as oily hair/scalp. This is especially good for people who also need moisture but don't want to use silicones, like curly or wavy haired people with protein sensitivity or buildup prone low porosity strands.

Popular Shampoos