L'Oreal Paris Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

L'Oreal Paris Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

3.3

AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM. AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM.

on 5/7/2018 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I thought that this product would exactly what is said, because I have oily roots and dry ends. It made my hair feel worse than ever before. My hair felt somewhat clean after I used it, but it still felt like there was build up in my roots. I felt like I had to wash my hair everyday and I wouldn't dare miss a day because my hair started to smell. I do not recommend this product, it does not do what it says! Pantene works much better.

This has lasted me a long time. I use it as one of my regular shampoos, but I have sampled a handful of different brands while using this, so my bottles of these have lasted 3+ months with probably a good month of use left! It's perfect for my hair type, the formula without silicones & protein work well for me. (Still contains sulfates but more on that below...)

The amount of product is A LOT. Many drugstore shampoos I use, even at higher prices, don't contain as much product - and additionally, I find this to be so much more concentrated than the others. (For instance, I only have to shampoo once with this vs twice or more with other drugstore shampoos.) So that's quite the bargain for a brand that I feel always has very quality products from hair to cosmetic items.

I like this shampoo and conditioner because at the moment my hair is really in it's normal state: which for me, "normal" is not over-processed or damaged, but really unbalanced. Having processed hair changes the texture of my hair a little (coarsens it), allowing me to use more heavily moisturizing products without having scalp issues. But when my hair is "healthy," my ends are difficult to keep soft since my natural hair oils have a hard time traveling down to my ends, due to my huge S-curl pattern, 2b-2c wavy hair.

Because right now my hair isn't dry from over-processing, I can use sulfates more easily because I still have a good amount of natural oil buildup to get rid of. (Whereas when my hair is bleached, it is less oily all over, so I tend to use sulfates much less.)

For me, it usually doesn't work to use different products on top and then an end treatment, because while my hair is of a medium strand thickness, it is also somewhat low density so usually every product I use migrates from root to tip, making buildup problems worse.

This formula without silicones contributes way less to buildup-prone hair and scalp. I'm not anti silicones at all times but usually when I see them in a shampoo, for my already oily scalp, it makes me feel like it's going to add more product that would need buildup removal vs what I want my shampoo to do: remove most all buildup.

The other thing I'd like to point out about my hair type, is that it's very low porosity when in a "healthy" state. Proteins that have some penetrating properties, basically overload the dryer parts of my hair shaft (those ends) without absorbing what is needed and rinsing the rest away. This causes me a really bad protein overload/buildup that makes my dry ends stiff like hay, very hard, brittle, and prickly. So one thing I appreciate about this formula is that it's protein free!

I would recommend this to someone without damaged or chemically lightened/processed hair. Because this is a sulfate shampoo, it would be best for someone who wants a shampoo that contributes to regular gentle clarifying, such as oily hair/scalp. This is especially good for people who also need moisture but don't want to use silicones, like curly or wavy haired people with protein sensitivity or buildup prone low porosity strands.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have a ton of fine hair with a scalp that can get oily and irritated. This made my scalp sore, and my hair was actually too stripped by it. I will admit my hair was still fluffy the next morning, but my roots seemed weirdly like they had some kind of buildup. Maybe this could work for someone with less finicky hair and skin.

on 11/13/2017 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This shampoo was made for my hair! I have a lot of straight, fine hair that’s naturally very oily (12 hours after washing it’s normally a greasy mess). With this shampoo, I can go all day without my scalp looking like a grease pit and it doesn’t weigh my hair down. It’s a miracle! I can also get away with washing my hair less (1 day, not a full 2 days). I feel and notice a visible difference in my hair whenever I use this. It doesn’t dry my hair out, either.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

1st thing: I've never gotten more compliments from people- fellas in particular- about how my hair smells. Someone hugged me and was like, “not to be creepy, but your hair smells great.” It's got a very clean, classic shampoo scent that lasts.

2nd thing: having an oily scalp and dry ends is my most persistent and annoying hair problem. This actually helps! I was pretty skeptical since that's a tall order to fill, but it worked.
I have very long (longer than mid back) dark brown, wavy, relatively thick hair. With this shampoo, I can go about 2 days before my hair feels like it needs washed because the roots get flat, but still not terribly greasy. If I have to go 3 days for some reason, it's a stretch but it's still not "I can't go out looking like this" unacceptable.

It's funny, if you have dry ends you think you should buy something moisturizing, right? Unfortunately the more moisturizing something claims to be, the more my scalp feels like it has build up on it; which is why I think the hair gets dry at the ends. The scalp's natural oils can't hydrate the hair they way they are supposed to because they are blocked by all that residue on the scalp. Since the buildup with this shampoo is minimal to none, my scalp feels clean and my ends stay smooth and soft. My usual shampoo is Prell of all things-which I use for this very reason- because it leaves my scalp feeling so great! However, I'm happy to have something different to use, just to switch it up.

I don't have to use too much to get a thick lather going even with long hair; and one bottle lasted me about 4 weeks usually shampooing 3-4 times a week. It rinses very clean yet my hair still feels smooth and not tangled, even when it's wet. I don't use any conditioner since they all make my skin break out, so I use Garnier Sleek and Shine serum on the ends just to keep it from being too big. Sometimes I don't even need that.

The only thing I noticed is that the second day, it does seem to lose a bit of volume but it's still not greasy. It's just that if I needed it to look wavier or fuller for some reason, I'd have to wash it again. It's not that bad though, because it looks nice when it's straightened on the second day.

If you have the oily scalp/ dry ends issue, I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. I believe it was under 5 bucks so no big loss if you don't like it. I think it works really well and have already bought another bottle.

I bought this because I have oily roots and dry ends. And on the packaging it promise you to help you with that. It makes my hair very dry (frizzy) and flat. I would not recomend it to anyone.

on 3/5/2017 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Nope. This is crap. I was hopeful since I have fine hair that gets weighed down with scalp oils and struggles with keeping moisture in the ends. Sounded too good to be true because it is.

After the first use, my hair felt stripped of moisture. Go figure, clay . . . And the day after my hair was oilier than ever even inches away from the scalp. Nope, not buying your dry shampoo.

The best combo I've found for my hair type is Rusk Calm shampoo/conditioner and a biweekly deep conditioner on the ends. I'm not even going to try to keep this stuff so I can keep trying it again. Throwing it straight in the trash.

on 11/12/2016 11:37:00 PM

This is for the ANTI DANDRUFF VERSION, so if someone has tried both and found a difference between the 2, PLEASE PM me!

This sounded perfect. A shampoo for oily roots with DANDRUFF and dry ends! WOAH! It was like a gift direct from heaven... too bad it didn't work.

The scent is nice and clean. With frequent use, my scalp gets really sore and more hair starts falling out. Does not seem to control the oil or dandruff. I am really disappointed.

on 5/7/2018 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

If I could give this shampoo a negative rating, I would. I have an oily scalp and color-treated hair, and was looking for a shampoo to help with greasiness. This! This is not it. It not only DESTROYED the ends of my hair over the period of two weeks, it made my scalp even oilier. Instead of my hair looking slick after about 24 hours, I had oily roots after about 4 hours. So, so, SO bad.

The conditioner is better (not good, but better), but I really don't recommend this shampoo AT ALL.

on 4/27/2018 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have tried so many shampoos. High end and drugstore. I have a lot of fine and slightly wavy hair. My roots tend to get oily while my ends are normal to dry. I do color my hair. I decided to try this shampoo. I’m glad I did. I’m on my 3 bottle and I hardly repurchase the same shampoo. The shampoo can leave my hair feeling a little dry in the shower. I use another more moisturizing conditioner from LOreal. When my hair is dry,my hair feels soft. Not frizzy or dried out. My roots stay normal. I can go 2 days without washing my hair. That’s saying a lot. I’ll continue to repurchase