L'Oreal Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

L'Oreal Elvive - Extraordinary Clay Re-Balancing Shampoo

3.8

AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM. AQUA, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-BETAINE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CI 42090, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PPG-5-CETETH-20, ARGILLA, SALICYLIC ACID, FUMARIC ACID, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, MONTMORILLONITE, KAOLIN, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CARBOMER, GERANIOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, CITRONELLOL, CITRIC ACID, HEXYL CINNAMAL, PARFUM.

on 11/17/2017 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Where have you been all my life?!? My scalp is oily but my hair ends to be a bit dry due to the chemical processing and blow drying, etc. My scalp is totally oil free for nearly two days when I use this line. It does not make my ends feel drier. I do have frizz issues regardless of what I use (curly, fine hair). I can deal/combat frizz with other products but I hate using a shampoo or conditioner that makes me oilier or worse...greasy. This has been a God send. When I have time, I also use the mask in this line.

on 11/13/2017 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This shampoo was made for my hair! I have a lot of straight, fine hair that’s naturally very oily (12 hours after washing it’s normally a greasy mess). With this shampoo, I can go all day without my scalp looking like a grease pit and it doesn’t weigh my hair down. It’s a miracle! I can also get away with washing my hair less (1 day, not a full 2 days). I feel and notice a visible difference in my hair whenever I use this. It doesn’t dry my hair out, either.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I've been searching for a shampoo that will clean my roots properly without drying my scalp and hair out, and this is THE ONE. I used to have normal hair but it all changed after having kids. I found if I used shampoos that were slightly on the nourishing side, or didn't blow dry my hair completely my roots tended get oily again within the same day. It made me feel a lot happier not having to disguise greasy hair that's less than a day old. My wallet will love it too cos it's a supermarket product!

This has lasted me a long time. I use it as one of my regular shampoos, but I have sampled a handful of different brands while using this, so my bottles of these have lasted 3+ months with probably a good month of use left! It's perfect for my hair type, the formula without silicones & protein work well for me. (Still contains sulfates but more on that below...)

The amount of product is A LOT. Many drugstore shampoos I use, even at higher prices, don't contain as much product - and additionally, I find this to be so much more concentrated than the others. (For instance, I only have to shampoo once with this vs twice or more with other drugstore shampoos.) So that's quite the bargain for a brand that I feel always has very quality products from hair to cosmetic items.

I like this shampoo and conditioner because at the moment my hair is really in it's normal state: which for me, "normal" is not over-processed or damaged, but really unbalanced. Having processed hair changes the texture of my hair a little (coarsens it), allowing me to use more heavily moisturizing products without having scalp issues. But when my hair is "healthy," my ends are difficult to keep soft since my natural hair oils have a hard time traveling down to my ends, due to my huge S-curl pattern, 2b-2c wavy hair.

Because right now my hair isn't dry from over-processing, I can use sulfates more easily because I still have a good amount of natural oil buildup to get rid of. (Whereas when my hair is bleached, it is less oily all over, so I tend to use sulfates much less.)

For me, it usually doesn't work to use different products on top and then an end treatment, because while my hair is of a medium strand thickness, it is also somewhat low density so usually every product I use migrates from root to tip, making buildup problems worse.

This formula without silicones contributes way less to buildup-prone hair and scalp. I'm not anti silicones at all times but usually when I see them in a shampoo, for my already oily scalp, it makes me feel like it's going to add more product that would need buildup removal vs what I want my shampoo to do: remove most all buildup.

The other thing I'd like to point out about my hair type, is that it's very low porosity when in a "healthy" state. Proteins that have some penetrating properties, basically overload the dryer parts of my hair shaft (those ends) without absorbing what is needed and rinsing the rest away. This causes me a really bad protein overload/buildup that makes my dry ends stiff like hay, very hard, brittle, and prickly. So one thing I appreciate about this formula is that it's protein free!

I would recommend this to someone without damaged or chemically lightened/processed hair. Because this is a sulfate shampoo, it would be best for someone who wants a shampoo that contributes to regular gentle clarifying, such as oily hair/scalp. This is especially good for people who also need moisture but don't want to use silicones, like curly or wavy haired people with protein sensitivity or buildup prone low porosity strands.

I really thought that this would work for me. I have fine hair; oily roots and dry ends. Lots of buildup. I bought this because my previous shampoo made my hair feel heavy and sticky. This somehow made it feel so much worse. I tried once with the mask beforehand, and once without. My hair feels horrible. 😓

on 10/25/2017 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my back-up shampoo. The Aussie Moist is still my favorite- but this is close behind that.

Helps with oily roots (at least doesn't make them worse!), does not dry out my hair, and lathers easily. Cleans well.
Would repurchase if needed

I am surprised at how much I like this, I was afraid it was all gimmick and no results. I purchased only the shampoo - not the conditioner or pre-treatment. The shampoo is great though - lathers really well, cleans deeply without being drying, pleasant scent. My hair seems shinier after using this as well. I've followed it with my usual conditioner (Pureology Hydrate Light) so I can't attest to using the shampoo on its own - it may in fact be a bit drying. But with a good conditioner I'm really enjoying the results. Hair feels very light and clean.

on 4/25/2017 3:52:00 PM

I have mixed feelings about this product, but mostly positive. I love the smell. I love the amount of lather it produces. Used in conjunction with the conditioner, I do feel that my hair is more "balanced". My fried/dry ends are less fried in appearance, and my scalp is less oily. My only complaint is that I seem to have less volume at the roots. My hair appears flat immediately after washing, drying, & straightening. My hair texture is curly/wavy, not fine, so it's unusual for me to have flat hair at my roots immediately after washing & straightening. I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker for me yet, or not. I'm going to give it a few more weeks and see how I feel. Overall, the scent & hydration at the ends make me lean toward a positive opinion.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I wanted to try this shampoo to see if it would help with my hair which gets greasy by the evening but I was hesitant to purchase because I did not want it to dry out my hair.
The scent out of the bottle was okay but when I lathered it up oh my goodness I fell in love.
I absolutely love the scent of this! It is very nice and smells more high end.
It has a nice lather which I only focused on my scalp in order to avoid drying the length of my hair.
Your hair is left clean shiny, and smelling great!
Like others have mentioned I received compliments on my hair often.
It added some shine to my hair and after a couple of washes, I did notice that it did seem to keep my hair less oily. I could go a little longer without washing but not a full two days.
My hair has slightly more volume but it did not do anything to help smooth my frizz and if anything made it look worse.
Coming to an end of the bottle I still love the scent, however, my hair is still too dry (after using Tresemme smooth n silky which dried my hair out). It did help soften my hair but after the damage, the other shampoo and conditioner combo did I need something more nourishing.

I think this would be great if you do not have any frizz issues or dry damaged hair.
If you have normal hair or oily hair I think this would be great for you.
I may repurchase in the future but it is not very high on my list for repurchase as I need more smoothing for my hair.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

1st thing: I've never gotten more compliments from people- fellas in particular- about how my hair smells. Someone hugged me and was like, “not to be creepy, but your hair smells great.” It's got a very clean, classic shampoo scent that lasts.

2nd thing: having an oily scalp and dry ends is my most persistent and annoying hair problem. This actually helps! I was pretty skeptical since that's a tall order to fill, but it worked.
I have very long (longer than mid back) dark brown, wavy, relatively thick hair. With this shampoo, I can go about 2 days before my hair feels like it needs washed because the roots get flat, but still not terribly greasy. If I have to go 3 days for some reason, it's a stretch but it's still not "I can't go out looking like this" unacceptable.

It's funny, if you have dry ends you think you should buy something moisturizing, right? Unfortunately the more moisturizing something claims to be, the more my scalp feels like it has build up on it; which is why I think the hair gets dry at the ends. The scalp's natural oils can't hydrate the hair they way they are supposed to because they are blocked by all that residue on the scalp. Since the buildup with this shampoo is minimal to none, my scalp feels clean and my ends stay smooth and soft. My usual shampoo is Prell of all things-which I use for this very reason- because it leaves my scalp feeling so great! However, I'm happy to have something different to use, just to switch it up.

I don't have to use too much to get a thick lather going even with long hair; and one bottle lasted me about 4 weeks usually shampooing 3-4 times a week. It rinses very clean yet my hair still feels smooth and not tangled, even when it's wet. I don't use any conditioner since they all make my skin break out, so I use Garnier Sleek and Shine serum on the ends just to keep it from being too big. Sometimes I don't even need that.

The only thing I noticed is that the second day, it does seem to lose a bit of volume but it's still not greasy. It's just that if I needed it to look wavier or fuller for some reason, I'd have to wash it again. It's not that bad though, because it looks nice when it's straightened on the second day.

If you have the oily scalp/ dry ends issue, I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. I believe it was under 5 bucks so no big loss if you don't like it. I think it works really well and have already bought another bottle.

Popular Shampoos