4.8

on 4/29/2018 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Favorite eyeshadows. Fairly neutral in tone, very easily blendable and buildable, and just perfect to travel with. If I could only use one eyeshadow palette forever it would be this one.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is what I would call a workhorse palette. It's an all matte quad of neutral shades that can be mixed and matched to your desire of intensity. I find the quality of the shadows blendable, easy to work with, and long lasting with or without primer, and the color selection is truly idiot proof. If you're looking for a high quality quad that you can use often to create a variety of looks that will always be appropriate and will allow you to do some clever eye contouring, you really can't beat this. In my opinion, a palette's only job is to give you enough shades with which you can create a complete look without reaching for any additional shades and I think this one is the perfect example of that. The size is great for travel and I'm fine with the fact that it doesn't include brushes as I normally never use those tiny ones that come with palettes this size anyway. Packaging is brown, sturdy plastic, with rose gold colored detailing. It closes securely with a satisfying click, it's easy to open, and obviously it includes a mirror. The price is steep, but worth it in my opinion, due to the quality of the product and how useful it is in my collection. I'd definitely buy it again.

The best matte quad/"palette" I have come across paired with Audrey is the most classy day time look & age appropriate for those over 39+ as it has NO shimmer shades it's 100% Matte. The colors are soft, elegant, make you look well groomed classic beautiful colors I'm so glad I got this I had to blind buy it as I don't have any CT counter in my state. Dolce vita will be rounding out my collex then I'm set for awhile. My eyes are sensitive & these do not irritate my eyes. CT has worked for all kinda folks from tom ford down & she has thrown herself into her line with much success in such a limited amount of time & she doesn't test on animals. Another (+) is that there are a bunch of tutorials on how to use it. #winning The Queen is a nice look age appropriated I like conservative MU but every so often I will do a pop of color on the lips.

on 3/31/2016 6:48:00 AM

I love this palette. Forever a nude champion in make up, I have tons of Bobbi Brown palettes and this is actually my favorite. The colour is very pigmented, smooth as silk and a little goes a long way. The fact is I have hooded eyes and metallic colours just don't work with my eyes so I am forever searching and buying matt palettes. What I like about this is that you can make a nude make up or smoky make up out of it depending on how you feel for the day. The shades are perfect for me as I have olive skin.

on 3/12/2016 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Charlotte Tilbury's other palettes have been comprised of shimmery shades and The Sophisticate was the first all-matte quad to join her line. This is flattering, natural-looking, and a handy size.

For reference, I am fair with blue eyes and blonde hair and it's as if these colors were made for me, but they are flattering on deeper complexions as well. I have extremely sensitive skin and occasionally I've had to return or toss eye shadows that made my skin itch. But Charlotte Tilbury's formulas like my eyes. I've had no issues in that regard. This is a basic palette that feels complete, yet the colors also combine well with Tilbury's other palettes.

The top left pan is a matte ivory "prime" shade, an essential base/highlight color, no surprises here.

The top right pan, the "enhance" shade, is the most beautiful warm beige on blue eyes; it really makes them stand out. If you don't want it to be obvious that you're wearing makeup, you can apply these two top shades lightly and be done. They are natural-looking.

The bottom left pan of a Charlotte Tilbury quad is normally a glitter pan called the "pop" shade. However, in the all-matte Sophisticate, this pan is instead a contour color. It's a soft, deep, mahogany brown that doesn't have orange or red undertones, so it stays the same shade all day and doesn't shift. For me this is far more practical than a glitter pan, although those can be fun.

The bottom right pan is the "smoke" shade, and this shade does resemble smoke. It's a wonderfully neutral charcoal taupe, cooler than the other shades in the palette, but not bluish. I like this shadow when I wear a cooler lipstick.

There are lots of matte palettes out there, and the cost held me back for a long time. I don't normally spend $52 on a quad. There are so many bargains out there. But I adore The Sophisticate, as I knew I would. I travel a lot, and some of my palettes from other brands are heavy and unwieldy, or worse, I have some products from TheBalm in cardboard packaging that are awful for the suitcase - they show every little ding and scuff and the lid can open in a makeup bag without your knowledge. The Sophisticate has a sturdy attractive compact with a mirrored lid that clicks shut. It's lightweight but has the colors I truly need.

PROS:

1. These matte colors are easy to wear for work or play, for no-frills busy weekends or for more formal dinners and drinks. They go with everything. These shadows flatter you instead of upstaging you.

2. They wear well throughout the day. The color isn't prone to fading, creasing or migrating. The shadows look good hours later and the colors don't change, which some of my Urban Decay shadows do. I usually use primer but these shadows still look good when I forget.

4. I have very sensitive eyelids and this formula is comfortable all day.

5. The shadows have less fall than some other brands, so they are less messy.

6. I'm fond of the Art Deco style of the oxblood plastic compact. It's a convenient, portable size and sturdy enough.

7. These blend smoothly. Sometimes darker mattes look choppy but these are velvety going on. (Of course, good brushes are important with any powder shadow.)

8. I'm always thrilled when I find a cosmetics company that isn't testing on animals.

9. For beginners or those who want to explore new and different looks, there are several tutorials on the website. The palettes are pretty versatile, and you can go from day to night with these easily. For a minimal look I use only the lightest two shadows and I use the two darker shadows to add depth and drama for evening. It's easy to do a smoky eye with the darkest shade.

CONS:

1. $52 for a quad is expensive. You can find cheaper matte eye palettes in other brands such as Too Faced.

2. No brushes or applicators are included in the palettes. I own a lot of eye brushes already, but fans of Urban Decay's larger Naked palettes are accustomed to getting a free tool.

I'll compare this to Tom Ford Cocoa Mirage, which I purchased later. (Charlotte used to work for Tom Ford.)

The ivory is not noticeably different from one to the other. The beige in hers is slightly warmer. The bottom rows are different. Tom has a reddish brown and a darker coffee brown. Charlotte has a deep mocha brown and a dark greyish neutral, so you can make hers look more grey if you wish.

His pans are larger but he's also charging you $85. Her pans are smaller and she charges $52. There is no reddish brown in hers. His compact comes with a fabric pouch. Maybe you would use it, or maybe it would sit in a drawer. His quad includes sponge applicators which makes traveling easier if you actually use them. People told me that Tom's quality was SO much better than Charlotte's but honestly, I just don't see it. One day I put on eye primer, did one eye with Cocoa Mirage and the other eye with The Sophisticate. I did my best to match the eyes in tone and depth. They weren't 100% identical but close. I went to work, and no one I asked noticed a difference between the two eyes. Wear time was the same.

Top Rated Eye Shadow