Too Faced Peanut butter and jelly palette

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Too Faced Peanut butter and jelly palette
Peanut butter and jelly palette

3.9

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

The colors are kinda meh. But they are pigmented and blend nicely. But the smell of this is fun. They are a bit gimmicky but I got like that about them.

on 9/14/2017 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I held out for a long time because the tin looks like a child’s lunch box and I’m not tempted by fragrance – in fact I usually avoid scented makeup. Luckily the fragrance isn’t irritating or overpowering.

It’s a small selection of colors but there is enough variety that you’re not trapped into the same look every day. In addition to warm tans and creams there are two purples and a bronze. Too Faced always includes a little pamphlet with a few diagrams to get you started and you’ll no doubt think of other ways to use it.

My first time using the Peanut Butter & Jelly palette, I put a soft shimmery gold, Bananas, on the mobile lid with Wayne Goss #6. I followed with Peanut Butter, an orangey tan, in the crease with MAC 221 and then deepened the crease with Peanut Butter Cup, a deep bronze. I used Peanut Butter Cup for the outer V as well using Goss #5 pencil brush. I put Extra Creamy, the matte ivory, on the browbone. I finished with Wet ‘n Wild H2O liner in brown and Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes mascara. I was really happy with the look. The shadows were smooth with less fallout than many of the pans in the Chocolate Bar palette. They lasted all day. I had primed the lids with Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick in Vanilla Kiss, but Too Faced Shadow Insurance is a good primer worth considering in case you prefer a colorless primer.

On another day I started with a wash of Extra Creamy using Wayne Goss #3. Then I took the Jelly shade, a pretty lilac, and put it on the mobile lid with a short paddle brush (MAC 239). I took it up, ending slightly above the crease, and then I went over the crease with the darker plum shimmer called Jammin’ using Laura Mercier’s Ponytail brush. With Charlotte Tilbury’s smudge brush I ran Jammin’ along the lower lashline as well. The two purples blended together nicely. (By the way, if you happen to have green eyes, purple will make them pop.) I finished with black liner and mascara. Jelly and Jammin’ aren’t too crazy but they give you the opportunity to stray from neutrals. With a shade like Jelly you can apply it wet to intensify it, but it looks lovely dry.

There seems to be less fallout from these powders than the shadows in Too Faced Chocolate Bar.

I have only encountered one drawback: I didn’t realize how much I rely on having a very deep brown shadow until I encountered a few palettes like this that don’t have one. Jammin’ can be used to smoke up the crease. However, several times I’ve dipped into the Too Faced Chocolate Bar for Hazelnut and Triple Fudge. I wish I had a matte dark chocolate in the PB&J palette.

If Too Faced had made this palette larger, they could have included additional shades such as a deeper brown and a few more inspired by jelly. Instead they introduced another nine-pan palette a few months later, Peanut Butter & Honey. On the positive side, this tin is lighter and therefore more portable than the larger, heavier Chocolate Bar palettes or the Sweet Peach palette. I think Too Faced found the sweet spot with Just Peachy Mattes - that palette is large enough to give you twelve shades but still streamlined enough for trips.

Overall, Peanut Butter & Jelly turned out to be a great little palette. I wasn’t sure what to expect from that smiling piece of toast, but I found the quality to be surprisingly good. Too Faced offers a refreshing change from pretentious brands that take themselves too seriously.

The retail price is $36 but Too Faced and Ulta occasionally offer sales and promotions that allow you to buy it for less.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I really, really wanted to love this palette; the shades, the finishes, the theme and the cute packaging design combined into what seemed like a big win to me. Sadly however this is a majorly overhyped product, in that I've found that it couldn't deliver half of what it promises to...

The matte base/highlight shade 'extra creamy' is nice and super soft, and I use the two warmer base shades as lid colours as they are both shimmery, and I don't like to use shimmer in highlight or base shades as my eyes are hooded. The stars of the palette are the "Peanut Butter" selections; you get four warm tan/brown eyeshadows [two shimmers and two mattes], the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar's extremely popular 'Peanut Butter' shade and three new co-ordinating warm-neutral shades. These four shadows are lovely shades, and apply, blend and wear really well. But then we come to the "And Jelly" portion of the palette - total miss, in my opinion as there are only two and both shades are subpar; the darker purple one applies as a charcoal on skin and there is quite a bit of fallout as it contains microglitter, whilst the lighter/brighter purple shade fades into a sort of slate-with-purple-undertone within a few hours of application.

I know and appreciate that purple is generally a tricky shade to formulate into powder products for every cosmetics brand, but if you know you'll struggle to give customers the best possible quality, why not simply pick different colours for a different fruit to represent 'jelly/jam', like pink for raspberry? I say this because now I have to pull in shadows from other palettes, or just rely on the warmer two base shadows as lid shades, otherwise this palette is nothing but brown tones. Pretty, but boring for my tastes.

I used to rate Too Faced palettes really highly, but the past year has seen a big downslide in their quality, where it seems everything went into the Sweet Peach palette and everything else was last minute rush-jobs. Fingers crossed that the upcoming Peanut Butter And Honey palette isn't as hit or miss quality-wise as most products the brand has released lately has been; I'm not sure if I'll even bother with it, although with Too Faced now under new ownership I'm a bit more optimistic...

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this palette!! The colors are beautiful, warm browns, and one vibrant purple color. There are both matte and shimmer finishes which all work well together. You can do a large variety of looks with this pallette, including natural and a more dramatic look if you use the darker browns for a smoky eye or the purple shade. I prefer the natural look though and it always comes out great. It also really does smell like peanut butter! I may like this even more than the chocolate bar pallete.

on 7/10/2016 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got the palette at Ulta during the initial release, and was immediately sold on the cute packaging and that wonderful purple shade. I was very excited to use the palette, because I liked the colors, the packaging, and the peanut-chocolate smell didn't bother me. Usually I like the warm shades (ABH Renaissance palette is my fave) and tried to create a warm brown and purple look, but for some reason all the brownish darker colors just went eye- popping bright orange on my eyelids, and the Jelly shade had no pigmentation. I could not believe my eyes on how poorly the prettiest shade Jelly performed. I rubbed the shadow with the brush, dug it in the pan, patted, layered on the lid, but the color would barely show! I would never accept a crappy performance like this out of an expensive palette. Jelly and the other dark purple shadow -Jammin were patchy, dry, not pigmented at all, and those were the colors that I liked the most. I was very disappointed, and returned PB&J the next day. The funny thing was, a girl at Ulta was shocked that I returned this overhyped product. I'm very spoiled by good quality makeup. I love UD's "Urban Spectrum" for its creamy heavily pigmented blues, greens and purples, or ABH Modern Renaissance for it's reds, oranges and magentas, and expected similar results with PB&J, but it's just not nearly as good, and poorly priced for such a small palette.

on 4/8/2016 6:09:00 PM

I could not wait to buy this palette from the moment I saw it and am so glad I did get it! I do think $36 is a bit much, it could be a little cheaper since the pans are small but no real complaints. I have been really into the orange-y eye look lately so that's what drew me to this palette. The only color I am not a huge fan of is jammin', but I even love bananas and I usually hate gold. I have only used this a few times and used peanut butter, peanut brittle and nuts about U. I can't wait to get into jelly and also create a neutral look with bananas on the lid. The outside of the palette is adorable and the peanut butter smell is a cute touch! Overall super pleased with this and would definitely repurchase!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

As expected this pallete smells really nice, more like peanut butter not jelly. Every single color is really pigmented and easy to work with. It comes with a lil foldout of different looks you can do. I wish it was a little cheaper since it is smaller in size but I love it either way.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This review is for the pale girls. The ones who, like me, were drawn to the cuteness but not sure if they could actually wear the colors inside.
On the plus side, I don't have any of these colors in any other palette or single. Lol. I don't have a huge stash by any stretch but seriously, nothing else even close.

When I first got it, I used the entire top row to create a look. That turned out way too warm.
But after that I tried all three of the larger shades(per ttsandra) and that was really pretty.
And then I decided to tackle the scary shade at the bottom, Nuts About U. I started with a base of the white, Extra Creamy, and then gradually added Nuts to the crease, blending the edge with my bronzer, like I always do (Too Faced Milk Chocolate). It was so wearable that I actually went back in with more Nuts to amp it up a bit.
And then today I did a wash of Peanut Butter Cup, which was just gorgeous with its golden shimmer.
Right before washing my face I played with Peanut Brittle on one eye and Jammin and Jelly on the other. Surprisingly wearable, although Brittle used heavily will require a warmer look on the rest of the face in order to pull it off.

Overall, it's a fun palette. I don't regret buying it. I might come back and adjust my rating if I continue to reach for it frequently.

on 3/16/2016 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I didn't like this palette at all. It was very orange, and the colors I was intrigued by had poor pigmentation - jammin' and the other darker purple shade. The color nuts about u is just not wearable. I also thought the larger pans (spread the love, bananas, and extra creamy) were not great for all over the lid colors. Totally not wearable without incorporating another palette or shadows into the mix. I should have gone with my gut and not bought this. I regret purchasing. If you like bright colors and warm tones like this you will like it. If you like natural neutrals you will not.

on 3/14/2016 10:16:00 AM

I'm very impressed with this palette! This palette has the same tin like packaging which is Too Faced's running theme I guess. If you are not a fan of that kind of packaging, this palette may annoy you. The colors in this palette are beautiful and swatch very pigmented. The color jelly (the cool bright purple) is a little lacking with one swatch but goes on like a dream with any primer. The shadows smell like chocolate (which for me is a huge plus. Who doesn't love chocolate?). I've heard some say there is a slight peanut smell, there is not. While that would be interesting, people with allergies to peanuts would have problems and the package states there are no peanut products involved with the shadows. I like this palette more than the other little palettes Too Faced came up with (personal favorites are the natural eyes and boudoir palettes. The full sized Chocolate palette is great too). I wasn't impressed with the country palette or the sugar pop one. Overall I think Too Faced did a fantastic job with their inspiration and executing it well. Anyone looking for a very warm palette will enjoy this! Very cute and well made shadows!