Too Faced Peanut butter and jelly palette

Filtered by skin type : Very Dry
Too Faced Peanut butter and jelly palette
Peanut butter and jelly palette

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I really, really wanted to love this palette; the shades, the finishes, the theme and the cute packaging design combined into what seemed like a big win to me. Sadly however this is a majorly overhyped product, in that I've found that it couldn't deliver half of what it promises to...

The matte base/highlight shade 'extra creamy' is nice and super soft, and I use the two warmer base shades as lid colours as they are both shimmery, and I don't like to use shimmer in highlight or base shades as my eyes are hooded. The stars of the palette are the "Peanut Butter" selections; you get four warm tan/brown eyeshadows [two shimmers and two mattes], the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar's extremely popular 'Peanut Butter' shade and three new co-ordinating warm-neutral shades. These four shadows are lovely shades, and apply, blend and wear really well. But then we come to the "And Jelly" portion of the palette - total miss, in my opinion as there are only two and both shades are subpar; the darker purple one applies as a charcoal on skin and there is quite a bit of fallout as it contains microglitter, whilst the lighter/brighter purple shade fades into a sort of slate-with-purple-undertone within a few hours of application.

I know and appreciate that purple is generally a tricky shade to formulate into powder products for every cosmetics brand, but if you know you'll struggle to give customers the best possible quality, why not simply pick different colours for a different fruit to represent 'jelly/jam', like pink for raspberry? I say this because now I have to pull in shadows from other palettes, or just rely on the warmer two base shadows as lid shades, otherwise this palette is nothing but brown tones. Pretty, but boring for my tastes.

I used to rate Too Faced palettes really highly, but the past year has seen a big downslide in their quality, where it seems everything went into the Sweet Peach palette and everything else was last minute rush-jobs. Fingers crossed that the upcoming Peanut Butter And Honey palette isn't as hit or miss quality-wise as most products the brand has released lately has been; I'm not sure if I'll even bother with it, although with Too Faced now under new ownership I'm a bit more optimistic...

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

For reference, I have hazel eyes, and adore warm eyeshadows. If you don't like very warm shades, don't even consider this palette.

FORMULA AND PACKAGING; the eyeshadows are buttery and go on smoothly and nicely, and have good staying power, matte shades included. It's also worth noting that the smaller six eyeshadows are rather small. The packaging is essentially a tin, but feels like a sturdy one, that wouldn't dent. One thing that slightly annoys me is that it's got a magnetic close. Also, the eyeshadows have a rather potent, sweet scent.

COLOUR RANGE; I don't really have much to say here, I'd advise that you look at the colours yourself and see if you like them. Personally, I do; they're very warm shades, but I'd also add that they're probably more wearable than you'd think. There's only two colours out of nine that could be considered 'extreme' (Jelly and Nuts About U). The latter can be played down by blending it with other colours, Jelly just is what it is, I suppose.

My only big critique of this palette is that there isn't a suitable crease colour. Jammin' is a dark brown colour, but it has glitter, not shimmer, in it; I wouldn't consider using that for my crease. Therefore, I wouldn't be able to only take this palette for travel, which is a pity as it's quite compact.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Cool

I'm consider trashing all my other palettes. This is the perfect selection of warm colors. What was I using before? Petite, travel-friendly packaging, effortless blending, highly pigmented, and lasting color. I am going to buy a backup palette, just in case. I love it! The only thing is I wish the packaging snapped shut.