Too Faced Peanut butter and jelly palette

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Too Faced Peanut butter and jelly palette
Peanut butter and jelly palette

4.2

on 9/14/2017 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I held out for a long time because the tin looks like a child’s lunch box and I’m not tempted by fragrance – in fact I usually avoid scented makeup. Luckily the fragrance isn’t irritating or overpowering.

It’s a small selection of colors but there is enough variety that you’re not trapped into the same look every day. In addition to warm tans and creams there are two purples and a bronze. Too Faced always includes a little pamphlet with a few diagrams to get you started and you’ll no doubt think of other ways to use it.

My first time using the Peanut Butter & Jelly palette, I put a soft shimmery gold, Bananas, on the mobile lid with Wayne Goss #6. I followed with Peanut Butter, an orangey tan, in the crease with MAC 221 and then deepened the crease with Peanut Butter Cup, a deep bronze. I used Peanut Butter Cup for the outer V as well using Goss #5 pencil brush. I put Extra Creamy, the matte ivory, on the browbone. I finished with Wet ‘n Wild H2O liner in brown and Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes mascara. I was really happy with the look. The shadows were smooth with less fallout than many of the pans in the Chocolate Bar palette. They lasted all day. I had primed the lids with Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick in Vanilla Kiss, but Too Faced Shadow Insurance is a good primer worth considering in case you prefer a colorless primer.

On another day I started with a wash of Extra Creamy using Wayne Goss #3. Then I took the Jelly shade, a pretty lilac, and put it on the mobile lid with a short paddle brush (MAC 239). I took it up, ending slightly above the crease, and then I went over the crease with the darker plum shimmer called Jammin’ using Laura Mercier’s Ponytail brush. With Charlotte Tilbury’s smudge brush I ran Jammin’ along the lower lashline as well. The two purples blended together nicely. (By the way, if you happen to have green eyes, purple will make them pop.) I finished with black liner and mascara. Jelly and Jammin’ aren’t too crazy but they give you the opportunity to stray from neutrals. With a shade like Jelly you can apply it wet to intensify it, but it looks lovely dry.

There seems to be less fallout from these powders than the shadows in Too Faced Chocolate Bar.

I have only encountered one drawback: I didn’t realize how much I rely on having a very deep brown shadow until I encountered a few palettes like this that don’t have one. Jammin’ can be used to smoke up the crease. However, several times I’ve dipped into the Too Faced Chocolate Bar for Hazelnut and Triple Fudge. I wish I had a matte dark chocolate in the PB&J palette.

If Too Faced had made this palette larger, they could have included additional shades such as a deeper brown and a few more inspired by jelly. Instead they introduced another nine-pan palette a few months later, Peanut Butter & Honey. On the positive side, this tin is lighter and therefore more portable than the larger, heavier Chocolate Bar palettes or the Sweet Peach palette. I think Too Faced found the sweet spot with Just Peachy Mattes - that palette is large enough to give you twelve shades but still streamlined enough for trips.

Overall, Peanut Butter & Jelly turned out to be a great little palette. I wasn’t sure what to expect from that smiling piece of toast, but I found the quality to be surprisingly good. Too Faced offers a refreshing change from pretentious brands that take themselves too seriously.

The retail price is $36 but Too Faced and Ulta occasionally offer sales and promotions that allow you to buy it for less.

I was sooo excited to get this - the colors are just gorgeous!! I really love shimmery eye shadows, but most of these shadows were way too glittery for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I really, really wanted to love this palette; the shades, the finishes, the theme and the cute packaging design combined into what seemed like a big win to me. Sadly however this is a majorly overhyped product, in that I've found that it couldn't deliver half of what it promises to...

The matte base/highlight shade 'extra creamy' is nice and super soft, and I use the two warmer base shades as lid colours as they are both shimmery, and I don't like to use shimmer in highlight or base shades as my eyes are hooded. The stars of the palette are the "Peanut Butter" selections; you get four warm tan/brown eyeshadows [two shimmers and two mattes], the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar's extremely popular 'Peanut Butter' shade and three new co-ordinating warm-neutral shades. These four shadows are lovely shades, and apply, blend and wear really well. But then we come to the "And Jelly" portion of the palette - total miss, in my opinion as there are only two and both shades are subpar; the darker purple one applies as a charcoal on skin and there is quite a bit of fallout as it contains microglitter, whilst the lighter/brighter purple shade fades into a sort of slate-with-purple-undertone within a few hours of application.

I know and appreciate that purple is generally a tricky shade to formulate into powder products for every cosmetics brand, but if you know you'll struggle to give customers the best possible quality, why not simply pick different colours for a different fruit to represent 'jelly/jam', like pink for raspberry? I say this because now I have to pull in shadows from other palettes, or just rely on the warmer two base shadows as lid shades, otherwise this palette is nothing but brown tones. Pretty, but boring for my tastes.

I used to rate Too Faced palettes really highly, but the past year has seen a big downslide in their quality, where it seems everything went into the Sweet Peach palette and everything else was last minute rush-jobs. Fingers crossed that the upcoming Peanut Butter And Honey palette isn't as hit or miss quality-wise as most products the brand has released lately has been; I'm not sure if I'll even bother with it, although with Too Faced now under new ownership I'm a bit more optimistic...

on 1/6/2017 10:33:00 PM

I would buy this palette again in a heart beat. It's one of my all time favorites. I use this all the time and I love the quality of these shadows aside from the purples. Peanut Brittle is one of the most beautiful colors and I'd high recommend this to anyone! anyone who loves the orange/brownish type colors of course.

on 6/26/2016 3:41:00 AM

I wanted to give this 10 lippies. Yes it is *that* good.

This is my magical HG perfect palette where every shade is highly pigmented, lasts all day long, blends beautifully and looks AMAZING. The yummy scent is a bonus, as is the adorable packaging. Those shades though - oh my freaking goodness they are spectacular!

If you can get your hands on this palette you will be super glad you did!

on 5/13/2016 12:24:00 AM

I like this palette for the novelty of it and because I am somewhat of a makeup collector. The quality of the shadows is very good, they are smooth, pigmented, and blend really well. There are 3 matte shades and the rest are shimmery. It is a very warm palette, and does not offer a variety of colors.

The Extra Creamy shade is one of my favorite brow bone colors EVER.

There is a limited amount of looks you can get with this palette. It's definitely not for every day. There is nothing basic about it.

Bottom line - Is it fun? Yes. Is it good quality? Yes. Can you get some unusual and fun looks with it? Yes. Is it a must-have? No.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

A little gimmicky, but lot's of fun. It's a must have for the serious pallet collector for the scent and adorable packaging, but none of the colors are ground breaking, and one of the browns is so orangy I'll probably never wear it. The quality of the shadows are superb, totally blendable, and mix and match well, and comes with a tiny booklet of three looks to get you started. The smell isn't of actual peanut butter, but more like a peanut butter scratch and sniff sticker from the days of your childhood. Seeing that it's more of a prop piece for my makeup stand that I'll only occasionally dig into I wouldn't buy it again if they reissued it, but it's super fun and I'm glad I have it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Right off the bat, the packaging is undeniably adorable, but to get down to brass tax, the shadows are the most important part of this palette, whether for the good or the somewhat bad. The majority of the palette consists of warm shades, which could scream trouble for those with cool skin tones, while the darkest color in the palette, "Jammin'", is a slightly dry shimmery shade and isn't the purple I expected it to be. On a much brighter note, the rest of the palette is fantastic, because the shadows are buttery, smooth, and apply like a dream with minimal fallout. The stand out shades for me were "Peanut Butter"; a matte medium orange with a brown undertone, "Nuts About U"; a matte brown with a red undertone, and "Bananas"; a soft gold with fine shimmer particles. To be fair, there wasn't a dud in the palette, just some better than others, but all of the shades have a nice peanut butter scent which isn't too overwhelming but undeniably there, so if you don't like scented products you might want to avoid this one. Overall, I enjoy this product and will continue to use it when I want to create a warm eye look, and I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in the shades and textures, but stay away if you don't use warm eyeshadows or hate peanut butter, but then again why would anyone hate peanut butter? Nevertheless, it's a great palette from a great brand.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

For reference, I have hazel eyes, and adore warm eyeshadows. If you don't like very warm shades, don't even consider this palette.

FORMULA AND PACKAGING; the eyeshadows are buttery and go on smoothly and nicely, and have good staying power, matte shades included. It's also worth noting that the smaller six eyeshadows are rather small. The packaging is essentially a tin, but feels like a sturdy one, that wouldn't dent. One thing that slightly annoys me is that it's got a magnetic close. Also, the eyeshadows have a rather potent, sweet scent.

COLOUR RANGE; I don't really have much to say here, I'd advise that you look at the colours yourself and see if you like them. Personally, I do; they're very warm shades, but I'd also add that they're probably more wearable than you'd think. There's only two colours out of nine that could be considered 'extreme' (Jelly and Nuts About U). The latter can be played down by blending it with other colours, Jelly just is what it is, I suppose.

My only big critique of this palette is that there isn't a suitable crease colour. Jammin' is a dark brown colour, but it has glitter, not shimmer, in it; I wouldn't consider using that for my crease. Therefore, I wouldn't be able to only take this palette for travel, which is a pity as it's quite compact.

I really love this palette. If you don't like warm shades, you should not get this. It's extremely warm toned. Nuts About U is a dangerous shade that you have to be careful with, a little goes a long way. Spread the Love or whatever it's called is soooooo beautiful. My fav shade from this palette. These shadows are extremely pigmented and blend so well on the lids, they're so soft and buttery. Just be careful with the darker shades if you're fair skinned like me!