Calvin Klein Eternity for Women

Calvin Klein Eternity for Women

3.1

on 11/4/2016 2:24:00 PM

Loud. Too much, I would say. For me it is a very bold, assertive fragrance, one should never buy untested. I like it, but I rarely use it, never in the office anyway, never during the summer or using public transport, as it can cause headaches. But for a cold, winter day, it can be a very nice choice and leave a pleasant trail behind. Longevity and sillage are above the average, which is always a surprise nowadays!

on 6/23/2016 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I don't actually own Eternity and have never worn it. My review is based on my experience working with a woman who wears it. Before I knew which perfume it was I thought it must be something cheap and nasty, because it smells cheap and nasty, very chemically, like insect repellent as another reviewer said. It's also extremely pervasive. She has a habit of spraying herself as she arrives at work and by the time I arrive half an hour later the whole place is totally polluted.
Once she thought the smell of her lunch might be a bit offensive to people around her, so when she'd finished eating she sprayed Eternity liberally in the air around her. I had to leave. It was disgusting, and it lingers.

on 8/2/2015 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I honestly do not care for the bottle style, but that's just me. This is one of my signatures and I have worn it off and on for the last 15 years. Oddly enough, I don't completely disagree with some reviewers who say that it nauseates them. Too much of this can be certainly overwhelming. I apply it lightly and it lasts all day for me. To me it smells old, in a classic way. Like if someone mentioned that it had been created 100 years ago, I would believe it.
The sillage is crazy. I can always smell a woman or man wearing this and pick them out of a crowd. People always smell it on me. Even though it's been over-worn and is super recognizable, I still enjoy wearing it..nostalgia, and stuff.

My Mother used to wear this when I was younger. The scent reminds me of her so now I wear it. It is a very different scent from what I normally wear. It is a great, daytime scent, very light.
I have repurchased over the years and will continue to do so.

on 4/9/2015 6:33:00 AM

I don't understand how some people can like this perfume. At the beginning it smell ok, now I can't stand it. The smell gives me the nausea and headache. I feel like throwing it away.

on 4/5/2015 7:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This has a beautiful sweet kind of scent perfect for spring/summer but should only be applied in a small amount as I usually put this on at eight in the morning and can still smell it on me in the evening. It definitely reminds me of when I was younger as my mum always used to wear this and it has quite a strong sophisticated smell , hope this was helpful x

This rating is ONLY for pre-reformulation Eternity, as manufactured by Calvin Klein Cosmetics (not Unilever, or--most recently-- Coty Prestige). Somehow, this lovely carnation-lily-rose fragrance has lost a lot in translation over the years. The current iteration manages to be both less concentrated and more harsh, soapy, and "screechy." Unbearable, metallic, and wrong.

I wore Eternity back in the early '90s as one of my two "adult" fragrances, along with Estee Lauder Knowing. (I was first out of college and realized that patchouli oil no longer fit my image :)) I adored it then, and, once I realized I needed to find vintage bottles on eBay, I adore it now.

You definitely need to apply Eternity with restraint; one or two squirts is plenty for all-day sillage. I tend to spray at chest level or below, otherwise this scent can induce headaches. But when applied correctly, it is one of my very favorite classic florals. Cool, green, watery freesia and lily are evident at first sniff, followed by a spicy carnation heart and a hint of tea rose. The sandalwood and sage at the base keep this modern, not in the least stuffy or Victorian. The overall effect is very clean and intensely feminine. The sexiness of Eternity is that it's more than a freshly-scrubbed scent, though that's the first impression; it's a lush and emphatic floral that leaves the sniffer wanting to know more... about it, and about you.

Big thumbs up!

on 3/12/2015 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Fresh, clean, beachy -- yet earthy too, with sandalwood, amber, and patchouli in the base. Launched in 1988, it was voted into the Fragrance Foundation's Hall of Fame in 2003.

The creator is Sophia Grojsman, famous for many big hits and Hall of Fame winners -- White Linen (my early-80's signature and husband's all-time favorite perfume on me), Tresor, Paris, Calyx, Bvlgari Pour Femme, and many more.

Here are Eternity's notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Freesia, Mandarin, Sage, Green notes, Lemon blossom

Heart Notes - Lily-of-the-valley, Pot marigold, White lily, Rose, Narcissus, Carnation, Violet, Jasmine

Base Notes - Amber, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Musk, Heliotrope

For a fresh, clean scent, Eternity EDP is remarkably strong and lasting. I spritz just *once* on my left wrist, press it to right wrist, then dab both wrists on neck & forearms. That's enough to give me an overall fresh aura that lasts & lasts. It almost doesn't smell like perfume at all -- more like a clean-smelling body lotion.

The older perfumes lasted very well compared to today's launches -- and Eternity is no exception. You get lots of bang for your buck with Eternity EDP, esp if you buy it from online etailers.

To me, the ads are accurate reflections of the scent itself. Eternity smells like those light-hearted black-and-white ads on the beach with model Christy Turlington. They capture the minimalism, simplicity, freedom, beachiness, and naturalness of Eternity.

My late mother used to wear Eternity -- however, I didn't fully realize it at the time. I never thought of her as a regular perfume wearer, but smelling Eternity now, it's very recognizable as her own subtle clean personal scent, plus the subtle scent that lingered in the air of her house. It takes me back.

I also own & enjoy Eternity Aqua. Aqua smells more like a fresh indoor pool than the beach -- it's very refreshing for summer. They're both good any time, really.

on 3/9/2015 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I don't know why I ever stopped wearing this perfume. This was my signature scent in the 90s...like many others. I remember going to Macy's and purchasing a gift set and just falling in love with the scent. My body chemistry mixes very well with it....and it's not normally the type of scent I wear...but this just works for me. Very long staying power too....and doesn't give me a headache like a lot of other scents these days.

Very classy, and Iove the bottle too..very typical Calvin Klein, minimalistic and elegant.

on 1/30/2015 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

When I was a child in the 90s, women all smelled like this--towering authority figures in denim vests with stiff 90s pixies cuts a la Enya and Patty from My So-Called Life. If you were to go in any elementary school classroom in 1995, it would likely smell of Eternity. It instilled a kind of fear and respect in me even as it made me sick. It was fascinating and I miss women having this kind of presence; 2015 is all drab Soviet seriousness and scentless sourness and strident politics. Everyone has a castrated academic boyfriend/husband that prefers "the natural look" and hates perfume. If I smell perfume on a woman it's such a rare treat that no matter what it is, I love her. I love any woman wearing any fragrance that I can actually smell--that's how starved for it I am in liberal dystopian Austin.

Just thinking of Eternity makes my stomach drop. It's a sour green floral with a huge heap of cloves and a pre-calone aquatic overlay. If women at that time were not wearing this, they were wearing one of the other Grojsman blockbusters that had the same signature stomach-drop shock value. Here's a great quote about my idol, Camille Paglia, and Eternity from someone named Marnieworld on a forum that has nothing to do with perfume:

"My favorite Paglia memory has nothing to do with her teaching though. I have always had allergies and a bad sense of smell because of it. I mistakenly spilled a bit of perfume on my typing paper and handed in a paper to her right before Christmas break. When we returned I received my paper in a plastic bag. She said that she had to isolate all of the papers on her porch until she could determine which was the offending paper and it took her a few weeks to pinpoint me as the culprit. In addition to the comments about the writing she told me not to use so much perfume and compared me to Belle Watling of Gone With the Wind. Some students in another class that didn't like her, organized themselves to all wearing that perfume(Calvin Klein's Eternity) one cold day and it drove her absolutely insane. Not a far trip of course!"

Popular Fragrances