Ion Ion Color Brilliance Absolute Perfection Booster Step 1

Ion Ion Color Brilliance Absolute Perfection Booster Step 1

4.7

on 3/30/2018 3:48:00 PM

I've never used Olaplex 1 & 2 so I can't compare similarities.

I added step 1 to my Ion volume 10 and Wella toner T-10 mix. I felt like my neck/hairline wasn't stinging as much as it normally does when I tone, but I'm not sure if that was from step 1 or something else. I did feel like my hair was not as rough and tangled as it normally feels when I'm rinsing out the toner in the shower. It actually felt manageable and like I could run my fingers through it and rinse without having to add shampoo to break it up, which was good since you're not supposed to shampoo in between steps 1 and 2. My hair does feel better after using both products so I'll continue to use this when I tone at home.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have experienced an olaplex treatment and used this lil gem of a treatment during a home bleaching session. This does the trick at repairing damage during processing and leaving your hair in great shape! It's super cheap and IT WORKS! I don't know if it is BETTER than Olaplex but it definitely repairs hair in a similar way. For the price, I'd prefer this to the Olaplex any day of the week!! Highly recommended! If you're doing a home bleach job on yer tresses, don't do it without this. Get it at Sally's!

on 1/1/2018 2:12:00 AM

I've had my hair bleached many times with varying degrees of damage. My hair is thermally reconditioned so I've got to be cautious. I prefer bleach at home as the salon has been hit or miss for me in terms of frying my hair. And once you are fried, it takes sooo long to grow out.

I generally do not have problems bleaching to the level I want at home (after plenty of practice), getting stuck at orange, frying or any of that. I do not color so even though my hair is dark I guess that helps it to lift fairly well.

I mixed this with wella blondor powder and 30v developer. I usually get good results with just 20v when I bleach sans ion Booster. Even though I was using a stronger developer than I do normally, it took much longer to get past orange (yes, I did keep the bleach in my hair that long, and yes, I am ashamed ;) ). In my defense, my hair was holding out VERY well health-wise during the process.

I rinsed out the bleach and applied step 2. My hair felt like silk after that. I let it air dry and it felt so soft, the blond so bright, shiny and beautiful. I got to a nice pale blond color (from Medium/dark brown hair) with no gumminess or signs of damage.

I actually waited for many months before reviewing since sometimes you don't really see the damage for a while. And the verdict - the blond pieces that I did with this are in much better health than the blond pieces I last had done at my last salon visit, even though the pieces that I did are lighter (I only did the virgin hair, not overlapping what the salon did). The bleached pieces that I did have little to no damage, and I actually did a second round of bleach with the ion months later, getting the pieces near my face nearly platinum and still, in good health.

I know people compare this to Olaplex. I have used Olaplex alongside my thermal reconditioning process and it worked beautifully there, but I had never used Olaplex with bleach, so I cannot compare.

Critics say that Olaplex and the ion Booster are not similar in their actual makeup and function, and the Ion is useless. But lots of reviewers are having great experiences with this. Maybe we all just have naturally healthy hair so it doesn't matter. But if we are all non-professionals who don't hesitate to bleach our hair at home, that probably isn't the case ;).

If you are set on bleaching at home and do not want to spend the extra money and effort to get Olaplex, this stuff is so ridiculously inexpensive so I would say throw it in, you have nothing to lose. If it does anything at all, you win.

on 6/28/2017 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I recently had my first bleaching round using step one and my hair feels great, I left the bleach on for 50 minutes and my hair is still not fully blonde I missed a few spots but I am going to bleach again in a few days, sadly I don't have another packet of this stuff but if I ever go back to sally's I will buy this stuff again

on 1/21/2017 1:03:00 PM

I picked up the sample size from the counter a few weeks ago when I was re-dyeing my hair red. I was really impressed with how soft and healthy my hair felt afterward. My hair is pretty damaged.

I bleached it to platinum almost a year ago, then the damage got to me, so I went red a few months ago. The red fades fast from my hair since it's so porous from the damage. My hair is also dry and frizzy even without the damage. So a few days ago I suddenly decided to go back to my natural blonde, but an ashier version of it.

I picked up the box kitwith the larger version of the products and went to town. I used color fix to take out as much of the red as possible. I ended up with a peachy blonde color. So I did a bleach cap. Not wanting to crazy damage my hair, I used this and my hair didn't feel any more damaged than normal afterwards. It felt so healthy, I used ion 12v with more afterward. It made my hair a little lighter and the violet toned out a little of the red, so it looked like an unattractive, very brassy light blonde. Deep conditioned all night.

The next evening, after work. I started in again. I mixed this into ion 8a and 10na color in separate bowls. I also added red gold color corrector. Like the directions say, I upped the developer for both. I then pained on the 2 colors to give myself some highlights and lowlights. I skipped step 2 and toned with a mix of wella t14 and 050 and more step 1 and red gold color corrector. After both color processes I ended up with a nice ashy blonde. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. My hair also feels really healthy. I can't believe how much peroxide I used on it and it doesn't feel like straw.

After the toning, I used step 2, then a protein treatment, followed by the apogee balancing moisturizer followed by a deep conditioner with some coconut oil added. Then after that, I did add some roux keratin leave in treatment, then some of the apogee keratin treatment, then my normal leave in conditioners, some flat iron spray, and the split end mender from beyond the zone. Seems like a lot of products, but my hair has always required a lot of products to beat the frizz. I'll post some pics of the process to my page. In any case, back to this product, I would totally recommend this product for helping with damaged hair from color processes. At the moment, I intend to always use this when coloring my hair.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been trying to "balayage" my own hair for a few months now. I started by bleaching just a few strands, and then a few more, and then I did a bleach wash about a week ago. Right now my hair fades from black into a really pretty dark auburn that I wanted to lighten a little more. So I got this and the step 2, and mixed it into the bleach. (I used ion colour brilliance lightener and 30 volume developer). I expected my hair to be fried at this point, especially after leaving it on for 30 minutes when I normally only do 15 minutes. My hair is much lighter, not blonde because realistically that is not possible for my hair right now, but I was very pleased with the amount of lightening that was achieved all while maintaining the integrity of my hair. My hair is soft, and appears to have less split ends. I will definitely be using this from now on any time I bleach my hair!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've colored my hair a handful of times in my life, and since I switched to using Ion Demi Permanent, my hair doesn't feel damaged at all versus when I colored using box color. But when I saw the Absolute Perfection Color Booster Step 1 and Step 2, an obvious knockoff for Olaplex, I wanted to try it because why not!?

I wasn't expecting much, since my hair always remains feeling just as healthy as before while using Ion color.

I was blown away by my results. My hair actually feels BETTER than it did before the new color. Ion Demi color has always left me with a nice bit of shine, but this Step 1 and Step 2 (which I also have a review for) left me with hair so shiny I feel like I got a keratin treatment again.

Aside from the shine, my hair feels perfect- it's soft, it feels strong, there are no new split ends. I think I'm going to use this as a regular treatment in between colors too, by just mixing it with water. Hopefully these results last longer than just a wash.

It was easy to use too, just use half a vial for each box of color. It added no smell and didn't mess with the color thickness either. Ion claims that it's vital to use Step 2, which I also used and loved.

I tried this product as a stand alone treatment. I mixed it with 4 oz of water and left it on my hair for about 45 minutes. I didnt see any difference at all to be honest. My hair (at the time i used it) had really damaged ends and was very dry. Perhaps it works best when used as a treatment with your bleach.

on 5/15/2016 10:24:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Sit down Olaplex! I have used this Ion Absolute Perfection Booster both with bleaching and toning my hair. I am here to say that this product does everything it says it does! My hair feels stronger, looks smoother and has hardly any damage from the bleach marathon I pulled this weekend. The best part? This miracle worker is only a little over $1.00 at Sally's Beauty Supply. One little vial is more than enough for a full bleach job. It only takes 1/2 vial to color hair. There is a separate packet to purchase that is a "step 2" and I used it after initially bleaching but skipped it after toning because my hair already felt amazing. Try for yourself. I can say without a doubt that it worked BETTER than Olaplex for me!

on 4/13/2016 11:28:00 AM

Olaplex Dup!!

I highlighted my already bleached hair and added this stuff and NO DAMAGE. Hair felt soft, smooth and conditioned! I will never color my hair without this product -- and don't forget Step 2 to complete the process!

Popular Hair Color Products