Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea

Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea
Tarte Rainforest of the Sea

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a pretty palette, the colors are nice, the formula blends well, pigmentation is fine (not great). My main problem is that the shadows seems a bit hard to pick up on the brush, and I have to build up the pigment on my eye. This palette also is lacking in matte shades and it doesn't have a darker shade like a black that would make this a well rounded and useable palette. When I choose to use this, I end up having to get out additional palettes to do a complete eye look and that is really annoying. I will continue to use this palette from time to time, but no..I would not repurchase it.

on 11/14/2017 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I had been searching for a palette that contained a bronze colour for ages. When I saw swatches of this online, it seemed to have all the colours wanted in a lovely compact. I had also heard that Tarte make great eye-shadows, so was eager to give it a shot. I admit, it was probably something of an impulse buy... I emailed a friend in the US to buy it from Sephora for me, as it wasn't available in Australia.
I admit, I only used it for a few days before it was over-looked for other palettes (almost always the Urban Decay Naked ones). The colours really did not seem to work for my skin and eye colour. They always just looked a bit dull and the variation between the shades wasn't too outstanding. For example, the purple'ish colour just looked grey on me. The bronze colour (for which I'd bought it) always seemed to just look plain brown- no rich, sparkling bronze colour as I'd hoped. I also found myself always reaching for another palette for the few shades that did work alright for me- like Naked2. This palette is probably unnecessary if you have that one.
However, the pigmentation is fantastic and the finish is really very beautiful- sort of like a satin/foil finish. It stayed on my lids all day (used over primer- UD again) and did not smudge off. I also found them really easy to blend and there was hardly any fall out from the brush to my cheeks.
The compact is gorgeous- though I wish there was a colour in the middle,- seems a massive waste of space- and feels nice and solid. Mirror is great. Name is kind of stupid... the colours are evocative of neither rain forest nor sea. I know that this is a range of Tarte products, but still- lame.
So, this is a great quality product, with high quality materials. If the colours work for you, then go for it. But this wasn't a match for me.

I bought this after a tremendous amount of research because I wanted ONE palette to do it all: beautiful packaging, colours that all work with each other and my NC15-NC20 tone, something very easy to blend, colours that could be used for work and night looks or as a single blended out shade, all shimmer except for some good matte transition shades, minimal fallout, travel sized, something less pigmented that would be easy to work with so I could learn how to do proper looks (I was a beginner at the time), while being pigmented enough for when I became more experienced, one dark brown shade to wear as a smudged eyeliner, colours that could be wiped off easily (I had a Chi Chi palette that looked like bruising if wiped) and all colours that I would realistically wear all the time. I can't wear regular eyeliner due to a faded scar on my eyelid.

I can't believe it, but this is basically it. There's absolutely NO fall out. I've even applied this after mascara, no joke.

My only disappointments are that Sand was too light to use as a base shade (my fault), Seashell is just shimmer with no colour, and Abyss can sometimes look too muddy and bland when blended out, which is why I now use it as an eyeliner. It's also easy to have the colours look muddy and identical (especially when blending Abyss/Reef/Starfish) which is why I prefer having a frost on the inner part. I was actually really disappointed when I first bought this because of how muddy the browns looked when used with each other, but heck, as long as I use the gold or silver it's great. The pigmentation is also good but definitely not great. I don't mind because it applies evenly, builds up, and I don't like harsh looks.

Mermaid and Starfish tend to look identical in officially released pictures but they are actually different. Mermaid is gold while Starfish is... hmm. A bronzey gold with a hint of taupe/grey mutedness? It's hard to describe but it's not a unique colour, and it does tend to look the same as the browns and the grey when blended out.

Without primer these shades crease in only three hours. When I use Australis primer, I get 12+ hours, although there is fading after around six hours. I can very easily build colour back up on top of the existing shadow - I've used Reef and Seashell for work and then ten hours later applied Abyss and Starfish to go out again at night without taking any of it off or even needing to blend because the old colour gave that effect.

The formula can come off in chunks and small balls though. It depends on the kind of brush, but gently swiping a dry flat brush can avoid it. I consider it a con, but an avoidable one. The formula blends so beautifully I think the drawback is worth it.

Sand also develops an "oil layer" easily and tape takes off quite a lot so again, that's more wasted.

I love this palette inspite of its drawbacks and would not regret buying it again. However now that it's taught me more about eyeshadow, I'm going to be on the lookout for other Tarte palettes with the same formula that have some slightly more daring colours so if they release one that also fits my extremely specific needs, I'll go for that.

PROS: very, very blendable, all the colours are harmonious with each other, works well with cheap brushes, work-appropriate while being shimmery, travel sized and sturdy packaging, half the colours would look great if worn as a single shade look

CONS: the browns look very similar when blended, and some of the shades are too similar to each other, requires primer, the formula causes a lot of pilling/crumbling, the lightest shade develops a hard oil layer easily and because it's matte it's useless to anyone who isn't light skinned.

BOTH: pigmentation is good but not great so it best suits someone who isn't after strong Instagram looks. Due to the similar colours, when I run out of one shade I could switch it out for another in the palette without it looking noticeably different to anyone else which is fine by me since I realistically will only be doing natural shimmer nudes. I will really miss Reef but it's not a unique colour so meh.

FAVOURITE LOOKS (I use Cove or face bronzer as a crease shade with these):

Starfish as an all over lid shade

Reef on the outer corner, Wave on the inner with Seashell packed on top of Wave for opaque shimmer

Reef on the outer corner, Mermaid on the inner. Interestingly, Mermaid migrates down to my lower lash line but in such a clean precise way that it looks intentional.

Abyss on the outer corner, Reef on the inner and Sand used to try and clean up Abyss

I use Abyss as a smudged eyeliner with all these looks or just by itself. At this rate I am looking at Starfish, Reef, and Abyss as running out within short time frames of each other, but not for a long while.

on 4/7/2017 10:48:00 AM

Good lord, I love the formula of these shadows. They are kind of a creamy powder, and have no fallout on my eyes. They are not the most pigmented colors and do run on the lighter side, but I do find them to be buildable. This palette won't really make a whole lot of instagrammy structured eye looks, but it can make a soft wash of color that is flattering and does not get creased or look harsh. I really enjoy it for what it is. The packaging is also absolutely gorgeous.

on 3/12/2017 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

When I swatched this in the store with my fingers, I loved all the colors. I normally like metallic browns so I liked that this palette had daily wearable metallic shades in different colors other than nudes and browns. I own a couple of Tarte blush palettes and love them, so I plunged the $47 to buy this. I also liked that the palette was compact and did not take up a lot of room like the Urban Decay naked palettes. However, after trying various shades I was sorely disappointed as this palette is not very pigmented. The colors do not show up on my medium toned skin. Originally I thought this may be a couple of shades that were like this but I made sure to try a different shade every day and it did not show up on my skin. I much prefer the pigment of Urban Decay shadows. Other reviews on the Sephora website for the Tarte palette also claimed the same thing....that the shadows were not pigmented. I wished I wouldve listened! I will reluctantly be returning this.

on 12/30/2016 10:40:00 PM

I purchased this palette off the Tarte website on sale for black friday- it is way too expensive for an eye shadow palette to buy full price. The quality of the packaging is very nice and the colours are beautiful, however I am a bit disappointed by the quality of the product itself. The shadows, particularly the shimmery golds, tend to apply clumpy and unevenly, you have to apply quite a bit of product and then it just looks cakey/powdery. It doesn't apply smoothly and takes a bit of work to make it look okay, so I don't use this palette when i'm in a rush to go somewhere. I've never had this issue with any eye shadows before, even much cheaper ones. Pros of this product would include colours, cruelty-free, vegan, and talc-free. Cons- some of the colours don't apply well and I think it's overly priced for the quality. Not sure if I would repurchase.

Update: I have continued using this palette and I like it a lot now. I find with proper blending and skin prep (moisturizing and priming the eyelid) prior to application this looks much better. The colours are very pretty and I've gotten many compliments on my eyeshadow when wearing this. You can pull off many different looks using this one palette, so if I travel I often just take this. Now i'm thinking I would repurchase this!

LIKE BUT NOT LOVE-I bought this off Sephora's website looking for an eyeshadow palette that I could use for doing shimmery brown smokey eyes and pretty neutral color looks. I think the packaging is beautiful and its very good quality and I love the added huge mirror inside. I just dont know about the colors now that I have swatched them... I feel like they should have put a better base color or a few lighter colors. Some of the colors dont come off as pigmented as I feel they could have been.. I find myself having to build up color and then it ends up looking too powdery and clumpy even AFTER DUSTING MY BRUSH afterwards... Im thinking about returning this actually but ehhh Im still thinking. I just dont feel like the colors themselves are worth $36.

on 8/21/2016 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I read some great reviews of this product and it took me ages to get my hands on it because it always seems to be out of stock (and for good reason). This limited edition palette I found for $36 at Sephora. It has a beautiful case and huge mirror, but does not come with a brush. The shadows themselves are almost like a cream in texture when you apply them. It applies extremely well with primer and has almost no fallout the first time it is used. After the first time a color is used application gets messier. When you pick up the color on a brush it comes off in clumps, although the color still stays on the lids extremely well. To alleviate the fallout problem just make sure to tap the brush off a lot before you apply the product. This palette comes with beautiful colors and is absolutely wonderful for blending. I highly recommend them just for that, but especially for anyone with hazel eyes like mine. With primer, the colors hold up extremely well against sleep, heat, sweat, and humidity. I highly recommend that people get their hands on this limited edition palette before it is discontinued!

on 7/11/2016 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I heard through the grapevine (MUA) that this palette carried a new formulation of Tarte's shadows, and I was intrigued to add a neutral palette to my collection.

My main/only gripe, and the primary reason for 3 lippies, is the strange formulation of these shadows. They're very... moist (??), and seem to be clumpy as you wear away at them. What I mean by this is that as you continue to use the shade and create a dip in the pan, it appears that the shadow hasn't been completely milled before being pressed. Or perhaps the moistness of the pigments causes this to happen. I really don't know - just throwing that theory out there. Anyway - because of this, when you pick up product with your brush, sometimes you pick up a literal piece of eyeshadow, rather than the normal "dust" you might usually pick up. I apologize, as this is difficult to describe - hope I'm making sense. I've also noticed that the recent L'Oreal Colour Riche shadows are similarly formulated. This lends to quite a bit of fallout during application, which is annoying.

The shades are pretty, blend well, and wear well with primer. The compact is quite pretty. I have no other complaints. I'm a particular fan of the "Wave" shade, which is very nice with my pale skin & hazel eyes.

on 7/6/2016 12:56:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love everything about this palette. Tarte has some really nice eyeshadows now, and Rainforest of the Sea does not disappoint. I bought it at Sephora a little while ago-lucky enough for me I got one of the last ones. I instantly fell in love with the colors the minute I saw them. The case is also gorgeous and sturdy. There's a variety of beautiful nude shades- mattes: cream, beige; shimmers: gold, champagne, copper, brown, silver, & light pink...literally all the colors I wear regularly. They look very flattering and pair very well together. The shades are rich, creamy, and very pigmented, and last all day without budging, especially over primer. My only complaint is it's a little tough picking up shadow with an all-over lid brush; I only use that kind of brush for the matte shades, & a crease brush for the other shades. It's very easy to overlook because the end result is just...wow! Every time. I find myself reaching for this palette more and more-I imagine it would be suitable for most skin tones (I am NC35). I would say I've found my HG eyeshadow palette.