MAC 170 Synthetic Rounded Slant Brush

MAC 170 Synthetic Rounded Slant Brush
MAC 170 BrushMAC Face BrushesMAC 170 BrushMAC 170

on 10/22/2017 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Shocked this brush doesn’t have more reviews! I’m mostly a BeautyBlender girl, but I’ve never seen a brush apply my foundation so flawlessly! This brush gives it an almost airbrushed finish without eating up your foundation. I honestly can’t say another good things about this brush! You have to try it!

on 4/4/2017 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HG foundation brush -- absolutely no question. I've had several iterations of foundation applicators and I always reverted back to using my fingers because the brushes either soaked up too much product (RT EFB), streaked like crazy (flat paddle brushes), or some heinous combination of the two (sponges). Enter the MAC 170 -- total impulse purchase from the website to qualify for some deluxe sample (lulz). But I also knew I would need a new brush to apply my MUFE Water Blend foundation, because of the unique formula of that product...and I got lucky, because the 170 is DA BEST. I dot the foundation on my face and then blend using mostly circular motions, and then buff around my nose, jawline and hairline, and the finish is flawless. Some of this is due to the foundation, but I think it's 60/40 to the brush! The previous reviewer who noted the cons that it takes a long time to dry after cleaning is correct: My nose started bleeding while I was applying foundation (gross, sorry), and so I had to wash my brush immediately: it took over 24 hours to completely dry, but was perfectly fine. I've experienced zero shedding of hairs and I've used this brush 5x/week for almost 2 months straight. Love this brush, love it to pieces. If you wear liquid makeup, you need this brush. Highly recommend!

on 3/1/2016 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is new to MAC's brush collection and I love it. I hated my 190 flat paddle brush for foundation. Most of my foundations are liquids and the 190 was thin and floppy and if I didn't want streaks, I'd have to go over it with a sponge, which defeats the purpose of using a brush in the first place. MAC's 170 brush is a much better shape for applying liquid foundation. (If you don't use an artist's palette, you can just put a small amount of the liquid foundation on the back of your hand and dab at it with the brush, then apply to your face. This is another way to control the amount you use, and save a little money in the long run.) After cleaning this brush and after it air dries, I finger fluff the bristles and that softens the brush head.

PROS:

1. The shape allows you to get into small areas of the face, around the nose, under the eyes, as well as cover larger areas such as the cheek and forehead.
2. Just as easy to use as a short kabuki brush for buffing.
3. Synthetic bristles are easy to clean, and did not come from a cute animal.
4. The brush doesn't seem to waste liquid; foundation goes onto your skin where it belongs.
5. Bristles are mostly white instead of black. (For me, this is a plus because sometimes when a brush gets older, it may shed a little, and black bristles are very obvious if a stray hair gets on my face.)
6. This is the ideal size for my face - not too big, not too small.
7. Application is fast and flawless.
8. Can be used to contour as well.
9. Can be used for stippling if you don't want to buff. Or you can apply in gentle downward strokes.

CONS:

1. It was a bit difficult to remove the protective plastic guard from around the top when I got it home, but now that's done.
2. It takes a long time to dry after a thorough cleaning.

$35, so it's a bit costly but my other MAC brushes have lasted many years with proper care. One of my favorite brush cleaners is the one from Cinema Secrets and it effectively removes all foundation from this brush. MAC 170 is a welcome addition to the line.

on 3/23/2016 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am surprised how much I like this brush! It is perfect for contouring, the shape fits perfectly on all the contours of the face (except eyes of course.). Then I tried it for cream blush and it's perfect. And I couldn't resist trying it then for foundation and it does an amazing job on that too. Especially a cream or stick..... It applies so evenly and smoothly. I already bought a second one so I can reserve one for contour and have a fresh one for other use.... For liquid foundation I still prefer the MUFE 122 for a light and air-brushed type application.

on 2/8/2017 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This product is gold. No other way to put it. It has replaced my MAC stippling brushes as it does not shed or streak. My preferred method of applying foundation is still with a damp beauty blender as I firmly believe that this is the method that allows you to use the least amount of product, and the added water gives you a dewy look. So.... I like this for blending things out, stippling in concealer and applying a thicker layer of foundation or tinted moisturizer to a problem spot.

Popular Makeup Brushes