Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540

Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540

4.7

JasmineSaffronCedar woodAmbergris

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

A store representative sprayed this onto my wrist when I showed curiosity at the brand.

It wasn't too intense on initial spray; warm and clean. I know "clean" is usually associated with "cool" but you will understand what I mean if you try it.

After a few minutes it settled into a sheer spicy woody fragrance. Absolutely breath-taking. I mean, I can't describe how luxurious this smells; it was so velvety and beautiful. I was still in-store when this development occurred and I just couldn't stop sniffing my wrist. I fell with in love with it on the spot. I have a preference for subtle fragrances, and the clever thing with this amazing perfume is that it makes itself known without needing to shout about it, and what I mean by that is if you were on a packed train and someone were wearing this it wouldn't take over the area. Rather, it's one of those which touches you momentarily so you get a tease of it every now and again.

It's one of the few scents that actually smell expensive. I've worn and sampled a range of perfumes throughout my life from dirt cheap to ridiculously expensive, and this is one of the few that projects an air of wealth and class.

After the middle velvety notes died down I detected the beautiful musky tones of ambergris. Ambergris is quite distinctive to me, and this is the note which lasts - it is one of those notes that grow rather than fade, so once the top and middle notes have subsided you are left with sleek spicy musk tones.

The longevity of this scent is vast. One wearing lasted almost 24 hours without topping up, and this was even after bathing.

I would class this scent as unisex. It's not overtly feminine, and could be worn by men also.

For an even more wonderful olfactory experience I would recommend the Extrait version which is divinity personified.

This scent, however, is quite expensive, with the Extrait version even moreso, but it is worth the investment if you fall in love with it, as a little goes a very long way.

on 9/21/2018 1:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I purchased a sample of Baccarat Rouge 540 through LuckyScent. This is the most unisex of unisex scents I’ve ever smelled! I really, truly can imagine this on both a man and a woman. In fact, I could see a couple sharing a bottle. There is enough sweetness and woods to be a perfect balance. It has depth and sexiness with a little dash of freshness. This is a very special fragrance that would make for a great signature scent. There’s a good chance that in your group of friends or colleagues that no one else would be wearing this but you. I’ll list the notes below, but really I smell a light cotton candy mixed with Christmas tree. I know that sounds odd, but trust me it works! A bottle is pricey ($300 at Neimans), but I might just splurge. I suggest purchasing a sample to see if it works for you.

Top notes: Jasmine and saffron

Middle notes: Amberwood and ambergris

Bottom notes: Fir resin and cedar

I recently purchased a generous decant of Ciel de Gum, and the wonderful seller included a carded sample of this beauty. It immediately became full bottle worthy and I had a gorgeous bottle on it's way to me within an hour of trying it.
Quality ingredients, interesting notes, expert blending, and gorgeous presentation. The Fir Resin and Cedar are very prominent in the opening on me (I always get the basenotes first on fragrances, not sure why). The saffron and amberwood lend a sweetness--almost a berry quality to it. This is fresh + sweet + a tiny bit masculine, without being too much of any of those things. Some people get Christmasy, and I definitely can see why--it's crisp and feels outdoorsy. But I can't wait to wear this one in the cool Spring air and see how it performs. Definitely full bottle worthy, even at the price they are asking!
I'm very very excited to explore more MFK scents as the 2 I've tried have really gotten me hooked.
(crossposted)