3.0

Reviews

2.0
from

3 years ago

I accidentally bought the Gel Eye Pencil Waterproof in Blackest Black instead of the Long Lasting Eye Pencil (after reading rave reviews on MakeupAlley about the Long Lasting Eye Pencil - thanks ladies!) and ugh...mistake. Although the Gel Eye Pencil is beautifully pigmented and glides on smoothly, it smears on my oily eyelids within a few hours even after I had used my go-to NYC High Definition Eye Shadow Base followed by powder eye shadow. I then tried using the liner again but with my Urban Decay Primer Potion, thinking that maybe it was the NYC Primer that wasn't working, but still got the same smearing. I don't know how waterproof the Gel Eye Pencil is because I hadn't tested that but it surprisingly didn't smear under my eyes when I lined my upper waterline. I also liked that it was a twist-up and self-sharpening. Like all Essence products, the Gel Eye Pencil was very reasonably priced at around $3.50 Cdn at the Superstore, so I don't feel bad about not liking it. The inevitable smearing on my eyelids is my only beef with the Gel Eye Pencil. Otherwise I would have loved to have made this one of my HG products. Would not repurchase.

About reviewer (57 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesBrown

2.0

4 years ago

I was looking for a cheap replacement for my Sephora Contour Matte Gel Eyeliner that I had appeared to have lost, and this seemed worth a try. It was great until it wasn't. It dried out over a few months, fell out of the pencil, and that was that. Maybe try keeping it in the fridge? I liked carrying mine in my purse, so trying the fridge thing would be an inconvenience. We'll see.

About reviewer (146 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesGray

from

4 years ago

Around Midnight is a navy blue gel waterproof pencil eyeliner from the Essence line. For the price this is a great eyeliner and Essence has quickly become one of my favorite brands as it is inexpensive and high quality. This product is well pigmentated and easy to use. It is similar to the pot type gel eyeliners but definitely way more convenient and easy to use as it is in pencil form. The texture is gel like, smooth and creamy. It applies easily without tugging or pulling on the sensitive eye area. One swipe and you are done, yet if you want more color or a thicker line it works that way too. With this pencil you can have a thinner line or a thicker line depending on your personal preference. I have had no issues with skipping with this pencil either. When they say waterproof they mean waterproof. This stuff does not budge or fade and lasts up to 10 hours without reapplication. Yet it is easy to remove with the product of your choice suitable for waterproof eye makeup removal. I haven't tried this on my waterline, but I suspect it would work there as well. I like that fact that this is a self sharpening pencil liner. All you do it twist up from the bottom and you get more product. On this particular pencil the color of the eyeliner is evident by the color of the cap. The name Around Midnight is also prominently displayed on the cap. The only down side is that the cap does not fit on the other end of the pencil while in use, but that is a minor inconvenience. If it makes a difference, this pencil is made in Italy. I purchased it at Ulta for $2.99, a real bargain in my book. As far as I know, Ulta (both in the store and online) is the only place with a decent selection of Essence products. However, I have heard recently that Target may start carrying this brand. I will definitely repurchase Around Midnight and will and have purchased other products in the Essence line. This pencil is high quality at a very affordable price. If you are in doubt it is well worth $2.99 to give it a try. I think you will be both pleased and surprised.

About reviewer (817 reviews)

Age56 & Over