Clarins UV PLUS UV+ SPF50

Clarins UV PLUS UV+ SPF50

2.8

Ingredients list:US-version:Homosalate 4 Octocrylene 4 Oxybenzone 1.5 Titanium Dioxide 10.9Aqua/Water/Eau, Dimethicone, Alcohol, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Nylon-12, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance, PEG/PPG-18/18dimethicone, Glycerin, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Sanicula Europaea Extract, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Bud Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. [S2705A]Ingredients list:EU-version:Aqua/Water/Eau, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide (Nano), Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Isododecane, Methylene Bis-Benzotriazolyl Tetramethylbuthylphenol (Nano), Alcohol, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18dimethicone, Decyl Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance, Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sanicula Europaea Extract, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, BHT, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Bud Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I was talked into buying this by a few Sephora workers. Needless to say I will be returning.
I have combination/acne-prone skin, and I was told that this was a good sunscreen as it did not contain any "oil" that could clog my pores. However, this sunscreen being a chemical/physical combination, irritated my skin and caused me to get little red dots all over my cheek, nose, and chin. I am guessing that this is due to the chemical ingredients, as when I was wearing this my face felt "hot" compared to how it normally feels, and the acne spots did not look like they were my typical "clogged pores" but rather irritation to the skin itself.
This was also very greasy, however it is summer so it may not be so greasy in the winter when the humidity decreases.
Overall, I did not like how this felt on my skin at all. Every day that I wore it I disliked it more and more. However, as with any product, this may just work for your skin type. I suggest finding a few samples to try before making a purchase.

on 4/21/2018 12:31:00 PM

Tried the tinted version a while ago. Texture is pretty light but I still somehow found it unsuitable for my skin particularly in humid weather. Gotta make sure to put it evenly otherwise it’d be patchy. I think the product is average and just like any regular drugstore sunscreen. The words on the bottle faded off after about 2 months. Wouldn’t buy it again - there’s nothing special about it.

on 4/21/2018 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Really gives a nice finish. But contains too much silicones for my sensitive acne skin. Usually breaks me out badly. Unfortunately.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Big disappointment. It's really greasy, makeup doesn't look good on top it, gives me a pale face. At first I tried shaking the bottle more and more, to see if it the sunscreen would be less greasy but no amount of shaking could stop my face from looking oily with this and it's only January in the Northern hemisphere... Fragrance is strong as is normal for Clarins products. Alcohol content is also high. Oh, and so is the price!

This sunscreen is hella expensive. It is. I bought it from the Clarins counter from a French speaking SA whose accent compromised my defenses (it is a super expensive sunscreen!), but she said I must have it, so I bought it lol.

I do appreciate the packaging and the weighted balls that help mix the product before use. Since I have normal to dry skin, this does not appear greasy on me. I would say it has a dewy look to it, which brings me to the crux of my repeat purchase. It is PERFECT under my Estee Lauder double wear. I mean, it is absolute perfection. Like the two were meant to be. But dang. The cost for the sunscreen is more the the freaking foundation!!!

I have heard the laroche posay sunscreen is similar, but even that is like $30. I use sunscreen on the daily, so I need to find something more cost effective. I just can't justify this price!

on 3/1/2016 10:14:00 PM

What a waste of money!! This is an expensive oil free sunscreen that makes my face so greasy and dull in 1.5 hours after application.
Soon after this runs out, I'll be back to Shiseido sunblock. It's way better than Clarins UV Plus with a better price.

on 2/10/2016 9:51:00 AM

This is the latest version of Clarins UV Plus. Launched in 2015.
There are two versions (one for Europe and the other one for the US.)
None of these versions is pure mineral sunscreens anymore. (It used to contain 8.1% TiO2).
Both versions have the same (structural/base) formula. The EU-version contains UV-filters of OMC, Tinosorb M and TiO2.
The US version has Homosalate 4%, Octocrylene 4%, Oxybenzone 1.5%, Titanium Dioxide 10.9%. (Tinosorb M is not an approved UV-filter in the US.)

I have tried the EU-version and I find it too drying and unfortunately the somewhat plastic-like shiny finish on the skin is off-putting. Although the UVA protection is better than the previous pure mineral (TiO2) based version, the finish should be more elegant in 2016 when there are plenty of other excellent and light daily UV-filters are available.
I did like the previous versions very much though and wish that Clarins would come back to it. Maybe with the addition of ZnO for better UVA protection.

(Should you prefer any of the previous versions (the pure mineral ones), you can try Algenist Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50, which has the exact same structural formula as the one from Clarins, only it contains Octinoxate 7.5% Titanium Dioxide 2.0% Zinc Oxide 17.1% as UV-filters, providing a matter more elegant finish. More like the previous versions of Clarins UV Plus.)

Clarins UV+ SPF 50 Ingredients list: