NARS Cosmetics Velvet matte skin tint

Filtered by skin type : Dry
NARS Cosmetics Velvet matte skin tint
Velvet matte skin tint

3.7

Methyl Trimethicone, Alcohol, Water, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Lauryl Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Isododecane, Dimethicone/Peg-10/15 Crosspolymer, Calcium Carbonate, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Triethoxycarprylylsilane, Aluminium Hydroxide, Trimethylsiloxysilylcarbamoyl Pullulan, Hydroxyapatite, Tochopheryl Acetate, Rosa Multiflora Fruit Extract, Ascorbryl Tetraisopalmitate, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, [ /- Titanium Dioxide (Cl77891), Iron Oxide (CL77491), Iron Oxide (Cl77492), Iron Oxides (Cl77499)]

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Although this is categorized as a tinted moisturizer, it's essentially a medium-coverage foundation, so if you're expecting something super sheer, you'll be disappointed. Although that didn't bother me, I had several issues with this product.

This takes quite a bit of blending to make it look adequate, and even then, I absolutely could not fix it from accentuating my dry flakes on my cheeks. It was a cakey mess. It also made the pores on my nose super obvious, However, on the places of my face where it did work fine, the finish was a beautiful soft matte. If only it weren't so finnicky. Also, it oxidized just the slightest bit on me but it's barely perceptible. Terre-Neuve is an alright match for me (NARS Gobi) except it's a little darker and pinker. If you like this enough though and you aren't on the super fair or dark side of skin tone, you can probably find a shade match that doesn't look horribly off. Not that I would buy a full size of this, however.

The price isn't too bad, considering you get 1.7 oz of product compared to most foundations, which are usually 1 oz. Still, I prefer Sheer Glow, which is around the same price, even though you're getting 0.7 oz less product. Quality over quantity.

on 11/13/2016 12:54:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

The reviews on this continue to be mixed...I LOVE it. I have medium olive aging skin on the dry side, and I hate feeling makeup on my face. I was using Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue in Suede for a good while and switched to this NARS after trying different shades out a couple of times at Sephora. There are a lot of them, all seemed a little yellow to me at first. I was in between Greenland or whatever that ones called (too light) and St. Moritz. I landed on St. Moritz which looks dark going on but blends well. It is expensive but you need far less than the Bare Minerals to cover your face so in the long run it's not much more money. This also means the SPF probably isn't sufficient so I do use one underneath to be safe. I do not really need a concealer with this. I use my fingers to blend it. The consistency is thick and a small amount spreads to cover my entire face. The coverage is definitely not sheer but your skin does show through. I'd say the coverage is the light side of medium coverage. You could probably build it to full coverage but I have no desire to do that so I'm not sure. The finish is smooth and velvety but I would not say matte. It isn't shiny or "dewy" which are kind of the same thing on my face but it isn't matte or powdery. There is no need to finish with a powder or pore minimizer - it makes my face as flawless as my face will be a this point in time all on its own. NARS isn't asking me but I would take matte out of the name altogether. Matte hints at being drying which it is not, and matte does not represent the end result. Velvet Skin Tint sums it up better.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I was looking for something natural and found this. It gave me medium coverage and made my skin look even and matte, but not dry. I liked it enough to buy some! However, once I wore it to work, it disappeared after about 4 hours and my face was a shiny mess when I got home. I don't love it and won't reorder

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I finally got the courage to ask for some samples of Nars Velvet skin tint and the radiance tinted moisturizer, I haven't tried the second but my god I love the velvet one and that's sad because it is REALLY expensive.

I bought Alaska thinking it would be too light for me but it turned out it is a little bit darker than my skin tone (I hate you, Sephora lighting) but it doesn't matter, it still looked really nice on me.

I have normal to dry skin and for the moment I don't have any big issues with it except for some redness and big pores. This foundation has amazing coverage, almost medium I would say. I have never used anything with higher coverage than a BB cream because every time I tried it looked horrible (like a mask) on me. With this foundation I don't even have to use concealer, my redness is really toned down and my pores look kind of blurred but my skin still looks like skin. I only use what the tip of my finger takes from the sample recipient and that's enough for most of my face, so a little goes a long way. I apply it with my fingers and the end result is really even tone and texture with skin that looks almost bare, and it looks that way for almost 8 hours. Oh, I almost forgot, YOU REALLY NEED TO SET THIS RIGHT AWAY, or else it will settle on every single line.

The texture is a little weird and you have to work with it more than you would with a bb cream for a smooth application, also I don't think you should apply it with a brush or it could look streaky and if you apply too much right away that also happens.

I'm afraid this is a base for normal to slightly dry skin. Dryer skin types would have exaggerated dry patches and on oily skin types it probably would never set.

on 4/29/2016 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I was in the color Seychelles. Ok so I really like the finish of the product when you FIRST put it on. Its matte but still somehow has a natural dew it looks really nice. However, I have several issues with this product it does not live up to the hype. If you have dry skin DO NOT purchase this it stuck to all the dry patches on my face, second I set this with a powder and even with setting it there were so many LINES it settled in to like everyone it could find on my face ! Third it lasts for about 5 hrs maybe even that's giving it too much before it starts to get oily, , and that's coming from someone with dry skin! Fourth , it transferred way too easily, all over my shirts and people that I hugged. Fifth I think the spf in it broke me out because I started to develop little bumps throughout the day, sixth if you are a brown skinned person it has a flash back , that you can see in pics couple shades lighter than my skin very obvious, a bronzer may help but I'm very simple and don't like too much. . I don't believe this is worth the price for especially for a tinted moisturizer to have all these issues well for me at least.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I typically use NARS radiant tinted moisturizer as an HG product rather than foundation, but recently I've been having some skin issues. I purchased this because I heard it was a very similar product but with more coverage. That is very true. The color range is identical, so your tinted moisturizer color will be the same in this product. It goes on very nicely and it has light to medium coverage that's definitely build-able. It is exactly what I needed when my skin acted up and the tinted moisturizer wasn't doing it for me. It gives a very airbrushed but natural look, and in my experience it wears very well. I've seen some reviews saying it cakes or creases but it did not do this for me. I also have some dry patches that foundation always clings to, and I did not have this problem with this product. I would say it is a step up in coverage from a BB cream but without the often cakey foundation quality.

on 4/5/2016 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm glad this is my first review. I've only recently upped my makeup game, but I come from a family fond of their "pancake" and keep abreast of all the trends, products, and nomenclature whether I like it or not. Concealer and lip products are my standbys. I am a devout lover of sunscreen and skincare, hater of mascara and foundation. So Skin Tint falls somewhere under foundation, but marketing wants us to think it's living on the edge of the old-guard definition, or something.

Soooo. I have "good enough" skin. Dark circles, cadaver-pale, pores that are neither offensive nor invisible: my skin is fine as My Skin, and even better with concealer, but it could be My Skin++++. Foundations usually make it look worse through poor color match, texture/dry-down, or the weight of it on my skin however light it claims to be. So I sample many, purchase none. Of every foundation I've ever received, tried, borrowed, sampled, I could previously only recommend Maybelline Fit Me Matte+Poreless and Innisfree WaterGlow Cushion, mostly for their pale color match and light-on-skin feel, but I don't reach for them really.

NARS Velvet Skin Tint: this, I reach for.

I had a little trouble in the beginning with a color match, since I was away from home and had to order online. I'm neutral, but if forced to pick an undertone, I'd say slightly more warm--still overall pretty balanced, however pale and blue-ringed my undereyes. I ordered Siberia, wary of the pink tones suggested in Terre Neuve's (the lightest shade) description, and it was too dark and too yellow. The formula was sheer enough that I could get away with it, but I wouldn't have kept it since color match ranks pretty high on my priorities. Besides, I'm not one to settle for what they charge. I exchanged it for Terre Neuve and found that it was not at all pink or too yellow--perfectly neutral, in fact perhaps with enough subtle yellow-y pigments to address the usual redness at the corners of my nose.

The formula is...gorgeous. First of all, I'm a big fan of all things tubed. It was great while traveling, easy to control how much I dispersed, didn't go everywhere, and it's hygienic and lightweight. I found TM's and BB's sooooo thick while applying, and hated the dry-down time and tacky feeling. I'm sure there are tons of applicators that'd solve my issues, but laziness is nonnegotiable for this critic. Skin Tint applies like butter with just my fingers, which I have ten of at no additional cost. A small amount of Skin Tint gives me sheer-coverage, which is all I really need. But it's a very serviceable sheer-coverage. I'm always skeptical of anyone who says a sheer foundation eliminates the need for concealer, but this one does for me--covers up whatever redness I have, evens out some old faded marks. LET'S BE REAL, I still need undereye concealer, but if I don't wear it--I'll still look much better for wearing this.

The color...well, it's perfectly neutral, if still a *hair* darker than the perfect match. If I were to build it up for more coverage, maybe it'd bother me more since I fixate. Given how sheerly I wear it, it just gives me beautiful, even-looking skin that adjusts down to my radiant fish-belly hue.

Now, what does it do besides that? The finish is "matte" with poetic license. It looks like clean skin. I have normal-type skin with some dryness issues, but after gentle cleansing, applying moisturizer, and then a SS as a sort of primer (SS is life--I don't rely on foundations for sun protection, although Skin Tint has it), this glides on and sets as fast. Nothing looks dry, just clean. It flatters me by making it look like there are no pores for it to sink into (and there are, trust me); so yeah, no pore sinkage even throughout the day. I still set with a powder in my T-zone most days because I *like* matte, but it's not necessary. It wears all day for me, no separation. It stays true to the initial application.

How does it feel? Like nothing. THIS is probably the winning factor. I can't abide the feeling of foundation on my skin, because it usually feels heavy or tight or greasy. This is weightless and makes my skin feel soft and bare. Most days I'm a minimalist, but whatever my mood, it plays well with others--powders, at least; I'm no help with reporting how it fares under cream blushes or the like. But everything blends very smoothly over this canvas. I've been using it since it's release and have had no skin reactions either. It comes off with my normal cleaning routine, quite easily.

TLDR: perfection. My remaining wishes are for one paler shade (maybe more shades altogether, although there is a great selection at hand already) and for NARS to give me a free lifetime supply for all of my enthusiasm, which is exhausting. I paid $44 USD at Sephora. Given how essential I consider this product now, I'll say it's worth every penny.

Still accepting free tubes, however.