NARS Dolce Vita

NARS Dolce Vita
image 1image 2image 3image 4

4.1

on 3/30/2016 7:02:00 AM

I love this lipstick, it glides onto your lips but it is slightly Sheer and rubs off within minutes. I would buy a NARS lipstick because they are beautiful but defientley not in this colour again.

on 3/30/2016 6:47:00 AM

*Sigh* the main problem with this lipstick is the price. If this lipstick were $10, I would say, nice sheer lip color that almost looks like I am wearing a clear gloss. It does a nice job of toning down and pinking up the reddish brown tones of my lips to give a soft dewy, pinkish pout.

However, the fact that I am paying $30 for what looks the same on my lips as if I put on Smith's Rosebud Salve ($6)...is insane to me. I love a soft lip as much as the next person, but I am not paying $30 for a barely there uber sheer lipstick. Now if this was THE one perfect lipstick on me, then maybe I could wrap my head around the price. But these make the original Clinique Chubby Sticks look pigmented! And you can get more color from a Chubby Stick for $16.

I am flabbergasted at the popularity. If someone got this for me as a gift, I would leave the shade in my purse for an all purpose, neutral touch up. But it does not provide any impact. I don't need crazy bold shades, I love neutrals, but this is almost invisible on me.

To Read all 452 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This doesn't show up at all on my lips. It works as a very expensive lip balm for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This lipstick is an incredible everyday, my lips but better color. It's quite sheer, so if you have very pigmented lips it might not show up well- but it can be built up decently. And because it's sheer, I feel like it's pretty close to universally flattering and can be applied without a mirror, so that's nice. I wouldn't say that it's hydrating, but I wouldn't say that it's drying either- kind of in-the-middle. It has a really nice, light, almost citrusy-but-not-quite smell. The finish is sort of a light shine, but it definitely has more of a slippy feeling than a sticky one.

I have a couple of gripes with Dolce Vita. First- the elephant in the room- the price. It's ridiculous. When I was using this as my primary everyday shade, I went through about half of it in less than two months. Part of the reason why is my second gripe- the staying power is terrible. While it fades very evenly and you don't really have to think about it looking bad, if you don't think about it, you'll be left completely lipstick-less if you do so much as drink water a few times. So I end up having to reapply 6 or 7 times a day, and that's just ridiculous. My third gripe is that I don't like paying $28 and then having some pretty sub-par packaging. Granted, this is the only non-"audacious" lipstick I've ever purchased from Nars, but it's only $4 less and it feels cheap and crappy.

Makeup Alley asked me if I would repurchase this product, and not only would I not, but I also haven't- I lost it a while ago. I was very sad for a little bit, but then I got the Urban Decay Sheer Revolution lipstick in Liar and it fixed all of my gripes and then some.

on 3/10/2016 2:02:00 PM

This is my first NARS lipstick, and so far I'm very pleased with it. It's very sheer, but buildable, and it's a very pretty pinky-nude that works well as a MLBB formula for me. (I'm light-skinned with a neutral undertone, with pale lips, though I think most people could wear this and it wouldn't clash with their skin tone.)

Staying power is decent. Since it's sheer it's easy enough to reapply. The formula feels moisturizing, but not super slick and not super drying, so I like that it trots that middle ground so well.

I detect no scent or flavor. For the price tag, it's a touch steep, but I've tried pricier products that have performed far worse. If push came to shove and I had to whittle my sizeable lipstick collection down to a dozen, this would make the cut most definitely.

on 2/15/2016 8:31:00 AM

Definitely a MLBB shade, as most have mentioned! It goes on smooth and doesn't dry out lips, but as I have flaky lips, I still make sure I apply lip balm underneath!

Too bad it is extremely expensive and has a very short wear time of 2 hours. But I'll still repurchase as I have not been able to find any lipstick that suits me more perfectly :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been wanting this lipstick since forevers it's a cult classic but the price tag was a turn off. But I would suck it up & shell out my dear money to buy this if I lose it. Then Ssphora came out w a nude lips set (Give Me Some Lip "Nudes" is what it's called I think if you want to check it out.) $28 for the entire set u get slightly smaller versions 5 in total but since when did I actually finish a lipstick?! I lose them 1st. So this color is very sheer. It's nice for makeup-no-makeup looks or a conservative environment. I love Nars lippies but I don't like the price tag. The Give Me lip was such a good value. I don't know full retail price of this lipstick I'm assuming around $30 since its HE which price pointe is important factoring in my decision on whether to rebuy, I wish MUA had an "undecided" or "maybe" selection for rebuy. This is like a pigmented lip balm not ever opaque, doesn't dry out my lips like liquid lipsticks. The packaging is sleek, futuristic, & chic in the iconic black matte rubber tube w the logo in white lettering. I cannot say enough good things about this lipstick. Only drawback/con is that I didn't buy it sooner! But that's not this lipstick's fault. Ev1 needs a bit of glam & luxury in our lives. YOLO! Carpe diem!

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It's so nice, perfect for work or if you want a natural look!

I do love this color, honestly. On my lips it's a perfect nude, the only one I've ever really liked on my face. "True" neutral nudes completely wash me out, so I need a pink base in my nude but the right shade has been hard to find. This shade is a total no-brainer. It's a muted MLBB shade that won't clash or compete with any eye look I've got going on. It's soft, smooth, and moisturizing, and feels delightful on the lips.

Unfortunately, as others have already mentioned, this lipstick is more of a tinted balm than anything, and it doesn't last on the lips. Mine soak it right up and I feel like I am constantly reapplying. I've considered trying the pencil version, but the lack of a self-sharpening mechanism is a nonnegotiable deal-breaker for me. The need to reapply wouldn't be so bad if it didn't cost so much money. At this price point a lipstick should last.

I've already re-bought this when I thought I lost my first tube (I found it, so now I have two). I would re-buy again because of the uniqueness of the shade. But I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a cheaper or longer-lasting dupe.

on 10/31/2015 12:40:00 AM

Not pigmented enough for my lips, its basically a sheer slightly tinted lip balm on me, I suppose it would be great on someone with lighter lips though! Passing this on to a friend with less pigmented lips and sticking to the satin and semi-matte formulas instead (might get Pigalle or Tolede for a nude, or just an Audacious one). It's not a dud, its just not dark enough for everyone, loads of people (most people, really) have pigmented lips and this would not show up on them either. That's okay, that's what makeupalley is for, research!

Note: The Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita is what I hoped this would be. Pigmented enough to show up, MLBB shade, but very natural looking. A rosey nude with a touch of brown. The formula is different though, as the name implies, it is Matte and lasts longer, much longer, than this sheer lipstick of the same name. With that note, my lips are not the most pigmented (it varies?) and the Velvet Matte may not show up on everyone either. Swatch before buying!