benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Tinted Lash Primer

No Image

3.6

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

finally i've found a 'mascara' that's just perfect for me. i've always wanted the My Lashes But Better Look (because my lashes are already relatively long and dark) but every other mascara i've tried just has too much of a dramatic effect for me and it clashes because i wear glasses 95% of the time.

it stays on with a good setting spray; i've had no issues with it smudging or smearing. the wand is perfect too.

this is like ... a lip tint; but for your lashes, if that makes sense. if you want something more natural then definitely get this! will be repurchasing once my mini runs out.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

It doesn't work like a mascara, but it's not supposed to. That being said I think it provides a nice amount of length, is a subtle brown not too light but not jarring like a true black. It is nice for a natural look but still adds dimension and helps boost your lashes. I have repurchased the sample sizes as I hardly make it through mascara's before they dry out and benefits smaller sizes do come with a generous amount of product, so I do recommend trying it that way if you're interested :)

This is so far the best brown volumizing mascara I've found, but I'm really wanting to try a Clinique mascara next. Just looking for medium brown, fluffy-natural looking lashes.

on 2/22/2017 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

First impressions of Benefit "They're Real" Tinted Primer are very good, specifically as a straight mascara. Silky application, dries soft and pliable. Reveals true length of pale, fine lashes, which in my case means long fringy lashes. Love it. I used to have medium cool brown hair (5A-5N) which is now largely salt in the front. The color of the primer is an excellent match for my lashes and eyes. The applicator is also great - the tiny feathery spiral comb with a star tip makes clump-free results easier.

I have been a tube formula wearer for the last 10 years or so; switching between Trish McEvoy (one step tubes) and the L'Oreal Beauty Tubes (two-step with white primer). I have yet to try a top coat as the effect I am getting from the tinted primer is perfect for everyday. It's clearly an improvement, a noticeable improvement, but not over the top. I'll update later on removal and use as an actual primer.

on 1/28/2017 3:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been using this product for over a year with great results. I pair it with L'Oréal Volumous mascara and it makes it less clumpy with better results than using mascara alone. Also, I use it on my bottom lashes which works great with the star end of the wand and doesnt clump or give racoon eyes. The primer also seems to prevent the mascara from transferring as well. This was my first eyelash primer so I can't compare it to other experiences but I will repurchase this one soon.

on 1/27/2017 5:01:00 PM

This product for me works very well on its own. I love it for more natural looking lashes that still look fluttery, separated and defined. I also like the wand it comes with, and on me the brown colour is very flattering. However, I'm not sure what it was down to but it sometimes causes my lashes and eye area to hurt a bit. Also, I didn't like this so much as a primer, as it became a bit harder to create clump less volume when you apply regular mascara on top. Overall this product is ok, not sure if I'd pay the price tag for it.

on 1/30/2016 12:26:00 PM

I received a sample of this in my Birchbox and gave it an honest try. I am blessed with curly lashes and I can build up volume pretty quickly, so I don't often use lash primer. Weird thing happened...using this primer, it actually made it harder for me to build volume. It got clumpy and spidery looking. I tried it twice; waiting for it to dry and then applying my normal mascara and also trying to apply my normal mascara pretty quickly after putting the primer on. Both ways ended the same way. I'm glad this was a sample, I will not purchase :(

on 1/23/2016 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

BeneFit designed this product so that it can be layered with a darker mascara or worn alone. I've had several different lash primers over the years, and they've all been white, which means you must put mascara over them to avoid looking freakishly odd. My favorite traditional lash primer is Tarte's Opening Act. That primer under a traditional black mascara gives me drama on par with falsies without the hassle of glue. Tarte's primer builds better length than this but is very clearly only a primer.

The advantage to BeneFit's Tinted Lash Primer is that it's also tinted brown. It looks best with a black volumizing mascara over it, but it can be worn by itself for a natural or more subtle look.

It has a soft, flexible gel texture that doesn't flake or smear. It builds modest volume and length. The rubber brush separates lashes well and has a starburst tip that I like, making it possible to catch smaller lashes in corners easily and coat each one fully.

Overall, I still prefer the look of my lashes curled with an eyelash curler, coated with Tarte's Opening Act (which noticeably extends length), and then followed with Charlotte Tilbury's Full Fat Lashes mascara. However, BeneFit's tinted primer will be preferable to many women simply because it is brown. The only drawback to its color is that you have to be more careful applying and must clean up with a Q-tip if you accidentally get some on your skin. With the white primers, you can pile them on and no one can usually tell if you get some on your lid.

Yes, this is worth buying. You'll get the best results using it as a primer under your favorite mascara, but you're not locked into that choice. This seems to be fragrance free and doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes.

$24 per tube, which isn't too bad considering the flexibility of the product.

Unfortunately, BeneFit tests on animals, and the quality of the products is too variable at this price point. So I'll repurchase my Tarte lash primer instead, even though this is a good one.