Tarte Cosmetics Tartelette In Bloom Clay Palette

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Tarte Cosmetics Tartelette In Bloom Clay Palette

4.3

on 9/5/2016 10:38:00 AM

If you're looking for a makeup artist review about blendability, undertones, which brushes to use etc I'm afraid I can't comment anything along those lines. What I can say is, it took me 3 months to decide which higher-end eyeshadow palette to buy, and after comparing this one with 6 other close runners up I'm so happy with my decision. Only after buying it did I find out that the top row is cool colours, middle row is warm colours and bottom row is pink/purple based. I wore this for the first time to a wedding - during the day I only wore it light and at night I didn't have time to wash everything off and start again so I just added darker colours hoping for the best, and even forgot to spray setting spray... And it blended perfectly well together and didn't move all night!! I know this isn't a professional review by any means but I'm just trying to be honest in saying that after so long researching and testing and deciding, I'm really fond of this palette and I understand the hype.

on 5/12/2016 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Absolutely beautiful palette. My favorite thing about it is that each row has a different undertone. There is a cool, warm, and rosy row. It's a great way to experiment with some different looks without wasting money on a palette you might not even like. If you gravitate toward warm shades, this is a great opportunity to try out some cool and rosy looks while still being able to make full use of the palette if you don't like a cool toned look. There is really something for everyone in this palette. The quality is fantastic and the packaging is just gorgeous.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I got this palette to act as my all-in-one travel palette and it's pretty good but not great. I had debated between this and the chocolate bar (which I do not own) for a long time.
Overall the shades are amazing. They are useful and it has everything. That bottom row is stunning. I could wear just that every day. I love that it has a warm black brown and a cool black brown for setting liner. It has a great browbone shade for me. It has brow shades that the color could work even if the texture does not (I'll get to that later). The shimmery shades LOOK amazing and add interest (again, more on that later). I try really hard to only purchase palettes in which I like and use EVERY shadow (which is why I've never owned a Lorac pro, Too Faced, or a Kat Von D palette). Shade wise, this palette does that. I did a one month one palette with it and loved it at the end of the month. I will keep it. But...
The overall shadow quality is average which disappoints me. By average I mean it's not MAC or Urban Decay, but it's also a heck of a lot better than Morphe and any drugstore eyeshadow I've ever tried (except L'Oreal infallible as shimmers). It disappoints me because it keeps this palette from being the best ever and the only one I'd ever need. The mattes are dusty and skip sometimes but they are manageable. They are also very soft in application so it's hard to do anything precise with them, i.e. brows. For example, I use MAC cork for my brows all the time and get a nice sharp line; I can't get these shadows to do that. My brows always look a bit caterpillar-esk. The shimmers are all disappointing for different reasons. Funny girl has a very very glittery texture with minimal color in its base. Rocket is one of the reasons I got this but the color on the lid is nothing like it swatches. It is a dusty muddy taupe if applied dry with that non descript drugstore "I'm not matte but I'm sure not shimmery" finish. And firecracker weirdly doesn't go on how it looks either. It looks very red and and warm but applies cool, but at least it's smooth and shimmery. For all three you need to apply them wet to get good color pay off that's true to pan but then they can look a bit crepey. And the shadows themselves don't like getting wet so I suggest getting it on the brush and spraying your brush and not double dipping.
I do prefer this to the original Tartelette palette. I think that one has more muddy shades. It's also very useful, but the interesting mattes (middle row to me) are among the worst performing in that palette whereas the interesting row in this one (bottom row) is quite nice. I had wanted to try a grey shadow and the grey in the first Tartelette is the worst in the entire palette.
If you are looking for matte basics, I might try the Kat Von D shade and light palette (but I've never tried it) and buy interesting shimmery singles to supplement. If you want a one and done palette, it's ok and I don't have a better suggestion (hence why I bought this one). Maybe the first Naked palette, it's definitely better quality but it's missing some shades I'd like and has several shades I never use in it. If I could swap out a couple shades, the original naked palette would be perfect. It nailed the gorgeous shimmery interesting shades and has a couple good mattes but I never use the rest and they could be much better, more useful mattes. If you are a shadow junkie with lots of MAC singles (raises hand) then you might just customize a one and done to travel with and be more satisfied with that. There are shades in the palette I don't see in any lines with singles (the two black browns, sweetheart for example) which is why I keep and use this. Have I confused you enough?

Ok, I'll be one of the (few) outliers. I did not like this palette, and after struggling with it repeatedly I returned it. I had very high hopes for this to be my go-to everyday palette for travel, to enable me to lighten my load, yet still achieve a range of looks. I had to write this review out of frustration, especially given that it worked so well for others. See below for the pros and cons...

Pros:
Packaging is super slim and pretty, with a nice mirror inside. Solid.
Color selection is every thing it should be for a palette that covers most looks. Primarily Matte shades, which is a big plus IMO.

Cons:
Color payoff was hit or miss. The nude base shades were good for the most part, and applied well, but the transition shades I found hard to blend and barely showed up. The deep shades were exceptionally difficult for me to get to blend. After several weeks of trying I always found myself frustrated with how my looks turned out and I lost patience and went back to Viseart/ABH/MUG palettes.

I used primers, I've got high quality brushes. I don't have the patience to have to work at making a palette work for me when there are others that do the job without a lot of effort. Maybe I got spoiled with the quality of other palettes, but I just couldn't with this one.

on 7/16/2016 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was super excited to get this palette, not as excited when I finally tried it. I like it, but there are other palettes I'll reach for besides this one. I know a lot of people like it, but I hate the chocolate scent of this. Please stop making makeup smell like food :/ The shadows just aren't as blendable or creamy as I thought they would be. For the price, I imagined a better palette overall. Still giving it a 4 overall though for shade selection, staying power and pigmentation.

on 1/10/2017 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I recently came back from a cruise and I brought 3 palettes with me. This one, ABH Renaissance and the Lorac Unzipped and out of the 3 I found myself using the Tartelette one the most. Just the right amount of shimmer and matte and very pigmented. Went perfectly with my sunkissed skin! :p If you can go on a 10 day vacation and use only ONE palette that whole time, you know you got yourself a winner! Buy the palette!

I regretted this purchase at first - they were chalky on my NC37 eyelids and did not wow me at all, but as I played around with it more, and discovered the different ways I could use the shades & their 'correct' combinations, I decided this may well be the best palette I have in my collection! When I travel and if I had to minimise the number of makeup items to bring, I bring this palette. I use Charmer mainly as a browbone highlight, the shimmer shades in my inner corners and the two darkest shades as brow powder (foiled they make great eyeliners, too!) and what didn't use to work on my lids because they were chalky now make great contouring powders! Jetsetter and Smartypants are great for subtly reshaping my nose.

I have many neutral palettes: Lunasol, ABH, Shu Uemura, MAC, Becca, as well as those from Chanel and Charlotte Tilbury to name a few, but while I love them I reach for Tartlette in Bloom the most these days.

on 10/23/2016 9:37:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Definitely my favourite neutrals/browns palette. I bought this palette because I've been on the hunt for a good palette that includes a gold with great colour payoff and I was not disappointed. All these colours are wonderfully pigmented, even the lighter shades which I have much trouble showing colour on my tan skin. Now that I've bought this palette, I really don't dabble much into my other palettes for that everyday look. Worth the investment, especially since I use this everyday.

My only complaint to make this palette my holy grail is that there isn't a really deep dark brown colour to complete a night time look that I like to go for personally.

on 8/9/2016 9:41:00 AM

AHHHHH I LOVE THIS PALETTE.

I only really started getting suckered in to "higher" end make-up in the past few years so I probably have a fair bit of catching up to do compared to a lot of MAU users. I own 3 of the UD palettes (naked 2, naked smokey, and spectrum). So yes, this is my third neutrals type palette. The others have not seen the light of day since I got it.

I find that the way the colours are grouped up are extremely complimentary and makes it a dream to use - I'm usually half asleep when I am applying my makeup before work anyway so anything that makes it easier wins bonus points.

The shadows blend extremely well and hold tight to my greasy eyelids - lasts all day without any primer and no fall out.

I suppose the only thing that the naked palettes would have over this one is the fact that they come with a brush (although I've read some people saying the brushes are bad anyway? I don't mind them). It is lightly chocolate scented which is quite pleasant and adds to the overall enjoyable experience of using this palette. Packaging is sturdy and travels well.

on 7/23/2016 9:02:00 PM

Just tried it for a bride. Attractive packaging. Nice colors, variable in pigment payoff, quite a lot of fallout below the eye. If you like to do eyes before foundation and concealer, this might work for you.