Maybelline New York Master Fix Setting + Perfecting Loose Powder

Maybelline New York Master Fix Setting + Perfecting Loose Powder
Master Fix Setting + Perfecting Loose Powder

4.1

on 1/6/2019 10:19:00 PM

This is amazing, both in terms of performance and price point. It's finely milled and a translucent white colour, so provided I'm not too heavy-handed with it, it sets cream or liquid foundations well without an obvious powdery finish. Perfect for mattifying without completely hiding the base under powder - so for glowy/dewy make-up, that sheen is still visible but like it's got a translucent veil over it. Used with a puff it can look too much of a stark white colour as the puff picks up and deposits too much - it leaves a cast if there's lots on the face. With a soft and fluffy brush, it blends and spreads easily with a silky quality to it and, so long as you don't load the brush with tons of it, doesn't leave an obvious white cast.

The packaging isn't great, however - lots of powder will get into the space below the lid easily and if I'm not careful, it can get everywhere when I open the lid. It doesn't come with a puff inside - probably because it goes on too heavy using one - but I've ended up putting one in there anyway just to keep it from making a mess when I come to use it. The holes beneath it are too wide for such a finely milled powder as it does float around a lot, so the puff helps keep more of it in the compartment underneath. However, I can live with bad packaging so long as the product is good, and this one definitely is. Just be sure to use it sparingly - a little goes a long way.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This powder works wonders when it comes to setting your face. It doesn't provide an ashy flashback (at least for me, a person with a medium deep skin tone). A light dusting is all you need and your makeup will stay put (for the most part). It might transfer if you are a bit oily skinned. Overall a good setting/finishing powder.

on 9/2/2018 6:55:00 PM

I have oily skin and this powder definitely helps my foundation stay on all day. It's definitely super mattifying. However, the flashback is horrible.. I would never wear this to any event where photos were being taken. I wouldn't buy this powder again, I'd rather look for another one and perhaps invest in a more expensive powder with no flashback. I think for someone with oily/combonation skin a setting powder is something to invest in

I'm a little disappointed that when u buy something the container is twice the size it needs to be. This one was LESS than half way full. Why?? The container is nice though.

on 12/8/2017 12:01:00 PM

i really love this setting powder. i use it to set my undereye area and it keeps my concealer in place all day. it doesn’t settle into the creases under my eyes which is amazing. i use it lightly all over my face on days that my skin is oily and it keeps me matte all day. the only drawback is, as everyone has said, the flashback. it is AWFUL. no amount of blending can help. it’s great for every day wear but definitely steer clear of flash photography.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I really do like this loose setting powder. I use it 2 ways, the first being to set my undereye concealer with a damp BB, the second to set my whole face with a large fluffy brush. It works for both very well. I find that it keeps my makeup in place and keeps the oily spots on my forehead and nose nice and matte. It dies have a nice blurred pore effect that I almost never find in a powder. It also doesn't settle into my smile lines, nor into the little fine lines underneath my eyes. The only reason I don't give this 5 lippies is two-fold. It has small particles of sparkle in it, which is a bit noticeable when seen up close. The second reason is because the flashback on this powder is BAD! I've never experienced flashback with a face powder before until this. I was at my hubby's holiday party recently where they had a pro photographer. I ruined every shot I was in because my face was distorted from the flashback going on. So to summarize, I will keep using this because it looks fantastic IRL, but for photography I'll stick to other powders. Will repurchase and do recommend.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This works really well. You don't have to use a lot and you get a lot of product. I also use it in combination with the setting spray for extra makeup staying power.

I've been a Makeup Forever HD Powder junkie for years and I've been looking for a drugstore dupe for such a long time. This works as well (if not better) than MUF. It keeps my under eye concealer in place and when I set my whole face with it, I feel like it makes my skin look flawless.

I just really wish that these loose powders at the drugstore could figure out a way to have a sifter that closes... But I figured out that you can put a round compact sponge in the sifter tray to keep it from being so messy.