Milani Prime Shield Mattifying + Pore-Minimizing Face Primer

Milani Prime Shield Mattifying + Pore-Minimizing Face Primer

Not tested on animals

Dimethicone Disiloxane Isononyl Isononanoate Dimethicone Crosspolymer HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer Silica Phenoxyethanol Ethylhexyl Palmitate Ethylhexylglycerin Silica Dimethyl Silylate Butylene Glycol Caprylyl Glycol Sodium Hyaluronate Hexylene Glycol

on 10/9/2017 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

good product, wish it was a little cheaper or had a bit more for the price. I have combination skin so I prefer to use this in the warmer months, I might switch to something more moisturising for winter, but I will try and see how it works! I really like it and would buy it again. Tried other primers and this one and Hourglass mineral veil were the only ones I liked, but the lather was wayyy too expensive for me.

on 10/2/2017 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

ETA: I did try this full face as my primer with my WnW photofocus foundation - and it worked just "okay". It is very light, and is silicone-y but not in the greasy sense. When you apply it to your face, it literally disappears. That's awesome. No smell either.

However, by the 4 hour mark, I still had to blot. Tons of shine. After blotting, I looked great and reapplied some powder. 1.5 hours later, its still looking nice. Because I still got UBER oily with this primer, I'd rate it on the lower end of the scale, not just for not keeping me matte but because of the price.

This is .68 ounces for $9 (at a big-chain store, so cheaper than drugstore). That's expensive for .68 ounces!!! I also have the NYX studio perfect photo loving primer, (which is identical in texture etc...) which is $12.99 (I see it on sale right now for $10 though) and you get 1 oz. Most primers nowadays should give you at least 1 oz. You can even tell when you try to shake the squeeze bottle - it feels like there is no product in the bottle! Milani only giving you .68 ounces - that's a ripoff. Sorry. Especially more so because it doesn't work.

No, I would not repurchase.

--------------------------------------------
First time trying this - I only applied the primer on my nose to test it out, which is the worst spot on my face for shine (nothing seems to work) - and this stuff failed miserably. 30 minutes after applying this and then dusting powder - I had shine like I'd never even applied it. Not impressed. It did blur my pores, but that went away as soon as the shine kicked in.

I'm still going to try it on my face overall - but I just wanted to test it out to see how well the "mattifying" claim was for my super shiny nose. Since NOTHING seems to work on my nose (not even eyeshadow primer) - I'm not too surprised that this stuff didn't work at all on my nose either. On the downside, it seems like my nose is even SHINIER with this stuff on it vs. without.

on 9/18/2017 9:53:00 AM

A go to bargain for me, so glad I decided to give this stuff a try. Feels just like the smashbox primer, and personally it works better than smashbox for me. Glides right on, very smoothing! My skin is very combination-esque, so mattefying things tend to look a little funny on my skin, but this stuff doesn't dry me out or anything, I can still throw on a dewy foundation and get the dewy effect I like. Can't say this has caused me any irritation or breakouts either. A really great everyday primer in my opinion, and my wallet loves this product.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is one of my favorite primers! It does a good job of mattifying the skin and making my pores smaller. It has a silicone feel once you rub it into your skin. I would say that this primer lasts a good 7-8 hours. After the 8 hour mark, expect some shine to start showing up. I think that the price for it is a little high, it's around $8 at the drugstore. Everything about thing about the product itself is great though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is just a very "meh" product for me. It's very similar to other silicone-based mattifying primers where they do mattify at first but they do nothing for absorbing oils and make the face feel slick.

I have dry skin but I use this to go overtop my sunscreen and moisturizer to create a matte base for makeup. I've done this with a few other primers (eg. Angel veil by NYX works really well) but this didn't take down the shine at all from my slightly dewy sunscreen. My face was still shiny throughout the day.

on 3/22/2017 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Probably one of the best drugstore primers I have used! I have very oily skin and this keeps my face pretty matte. Typically with most primers, my skin will get oily after about 2 hours but this will make me look dewy after about an 8 hour work day. I bought this at CVS for $10, pricey for a drugstore but I will definitely purchase again!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Surprised there is not more reviews for Prime Shield. Mattifying? Yes and it does a great job at it. It took me a few days to get this primer right on me. At first, I wasn't that happy with it and was going to return it but now I love it. I'm someone with extremely oily skin all over. I get shiny about 10 minutes after I wash my face in the morning. I avoid all moisturizers and I even put a generous layer of setting powder all over my face before I apply my makeup. I've tried so many primers out there. I never stick with them because most let me down and they don't perform the way I want them to or I get bored with them or they just stop working. I think I will add Prime Shield to the very few primers out there that I actually love.

First, learn how to use it. At first, I was applying way too much and not shaking the bottle at all. The first day I put this on, it was very runny and thin. I applies about three times the amount I actually needed. By the end of the day, I looked so dry and old lol. The second day, I decided to shake the bottle a lot to mix it up and the consistency was a lot better. It was thicker and very silicone like. It glided over my face nicely but I still ended up putting too much on. By the third day, I got it down perfectly. What I do now is just apply this to my very trouble areas like my t-zone and around my nose and nasolabial folds. I avoid my eye and cheek area! By doing this, my foundation doesn't look so drab and dry. Even though I'm oily, I hate looking too matte and cakey. I still enjoy that dewy soft natural skin appearance.

If you hate those very silicone based primers, you will hate this one. I'm not allergic or sensitive to silicone so I didn't experience any skin discomfort, clogged pores or acne from this primer.

My only issue is the price @ $10. It's kind of expensive for drugstore and the packaging is very cheap and flimsy. However, I will continue to repurchase.

on 9/14/2016 11:54:00 PM

For the price this primer is great! It feels exactly like the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer and does what it claims to do. It is a silicone texture and glides on smoothly. It is also oil-free so great for people w/ normal/combination skin such as me!