L'Oreal Paris Boost It Air-Whipped Densifying Foam

No Image

3.0

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is going to be one of those love/ hate reviews. It does give my fine hair needed texture, and I like using it when I put my hair up, because the added texture keeps it from looking so slicked back and helps it stay in my clip. HOWEVER, this stuff is kind of weird. Yes, its like a mousse when you squirt it out, but before you can get it to your hair it turns to a runny liquid that feels a little tacky when you try to rub it around or comb through it . That part is okay, but after using it for a few days (and I wash my hair everyday) you can tell it is building up on the strands and it just feels scraggly and dry. I will have to use a clarifying shampoo and lots of conditioner to soften it back up. I haven't decided on a repurchase yet, but I probably will, at least during the summer when I put my hair up

on 1/8/2016 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this because I was out of mousse and wanted volume. The container mentions "instant density," "touchable bounce" and that it's light but had medium hold. It also mentioned Fibralock Tech, which I was hoping meant it added some fibers to make strands seem thicker but on the back it of the can it says it's some kind of "holding matrix that locks style strand by strand." Whatever.

I haven't done a lot with this, but so far I like it. I'm not sure I'd buy a second can, but that's mainly because it takes me a long time to use up mousse because I tend to use whatever I'm in the mood for (creme-gel, gel, reviving spray, etc.) depending on the amount of ambition I have for that hair-styling day or what I want to accomplish (volume, frizz-free, etc.)

But this isn't bad. I did what I normally would do with mousse on a lazy day, which is to scrunch some in, more at the roots, and then scrunch a bit more throughout the rest of my hair while it was just lightly damp. It did give a bit of volume and the product doesn't feel heavy or sticky, which is nice. It even made my frizzy bangs settle a bit and lent a touch of shine and defined and boosted my waves a bit for a nice lived-in look. Nothing major, but a nice little improvement nonetheless.

The product does have a scent to it, kind of your standard drugstore hair product scent that is vaguely floral, vaguely perfumey, and vaguely clean-product scented. Everything and nothing in particular, basically. I'm not a fan of scented products but this doesn't linger nor does it overpower like other brands do, where you turn your head and you're in a cloud of product aroma. I'd rather it had less scent, but for that it is, I don't mind.

Overall, a decent product. Nothing revolutionary, but it gives me a bit of volume, a bit of shine, a bit of definition and doesn't make my hair feel loaded with goopy product, so it's pretty good. If I did actually end up using it up within the next six months, I may even buy another, especially since I paid $4.99 for it, which isn't bad for 6.8 ounces. Packaging is your typical mousse applicator, albeit in a shorter, wider can instead of a taller, skinnier container typical of mousse.

Popular Styling Products