Chanel Coco Mademoiselle

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
Coco MademoiselleCoco MademoiselleCoco Mademoiselle

4.2

on 4/12/2011 12:08:00 AM

When I was in high school, I attended a summer program at an idyllic college campus far from home. There I met a slew of cool kids, and I was a little out of my league. One was an impossibly chic Parisian girl, fluent in several languages, who chain-smoked on the Green and had the most beautiful clothes (she was the daughter of a famous European designer). I was good friends with her roommate, and I spent a lot of time in their room. The French Girl (as she was nicknamed) was messy and left her lovely clothes strewn everywhere. But always, sitting perfectly perched and polished on top of her dresser, was a bottle of Coco Mademoiselle. Oh, how that gorgeous glass Chanel bottle captivated me. The scent pervaded the room and wafted off her perfectly tanned skin every time she walked by, and it will always remind me of her untouchable, youthful chic.

On me, Coco Mademoiselle is less perfect. One of its main criticisms is that it smells like everything else, probably because everyone is wearing it. This is true, but one has to keep in mind that this is the original fruity-floral-patchouli fragrance, and everything else is just a copy (just as, by the end of the summer, everyone was trying to copy the French Girl's breezy chic look). It's copied for a reason. The layout of this so-called modern chypre is impeccable. The fresh bergamot and citrus on top absolutely sparkles. The floral notes of rose and jasmine in the heart of the perfume smell expensive, as a Chanel should. The drydown is clean yet earthy, always maintaining an intoxicating edge. A real perfume, with strong sillage and character. My first encounter with Coco Mademoiselle taught me that, on the right person, this perfume can be magical.

I first sniffed this scent in a scent-strip as part of an ad featuring a scantily-clad Kate Moss in a black bowler hat. I was overwhelmed by it's beauty and by the image that Chanel was attempting to sell. I had to own it. I used money I probably should not have spent on perfume in order to obtain it; however, I never regretted letting go of those dollars, knowing that I had class and beauty in a bottle, at my disposal. I actually credit this scent with motivating my escape from a terribly dull and unromantic relationship at the time, as there truly is something about it which motivates many a woman to discover and follow her true self in the spirit of excitement and possibility. It was like an emergency reminder, a beacon in the darkness that was my hopes and dreams fading away, a call back to the ideals and ideas I had once clung to in my teenage youth. "Hey, there are still beautiful things yet to be discovered; do not submit! Do not settle!"

Now, how to define this scent? It is citrusy, sweet, woodsy, floral, musky and green, yet it is none of those things at once. It is something for the girl who wants to be noticed (and drowned in compliments) but I can't imagine any girl wearing this scent for someone other than herself. It is a personal reminder of how unique and priceless every woman is - a bit of wearable art to last throughout the day and an inexpensive way to feel swathed in class and luxury. It is defined as (taken from Chanel's website): a modern oriental fragrance, fresh, sensual and abstract.

I can always smell this on other women and I find myself following them when I'm not wearing it, sniffing and enjoying and wondering why I'd not worn it that day. Try it - on your skin - and you'll most likely be back for more.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Why oh why did I stay away from you for so long?? You're my new love. You even smell "pink."

I don't care that everyone else wears you- they love you too, and there's a good reason for it. You're simply stunning. You're elegant and graceful like a snow white swan floating lazily down a river.

You're the young girl in the office who has huge dreams and treats herself to Louboutin heels even though she can't afford them yet. Because she knows one day she will be able to, because she refuses to give up her dreams no matter what.

You're the freshly retired lady who spent a lifetime serving other people's needs because she's a quietly beautiful soul who expects little in return. She only wants other people to be happy, especially her family. She does her hair like a lady, wears beautifully refined jewelry and tries to see the best in people.

You're the tender, feminine soul who yearns to express their femininity in all its delicate glory, the world be damned.

You're so fresh and sweet, just like an innocent baby girl, yet sophisticated and charming like a white haired, mature lady who has decades of experience in life.

So pretty and so free.

on 3/21/2010 12:46:00 PM

Ok. So, after a time-investment reading reviews here. I went to the Air Force Base to check out this, coco, and Allure. I sprayed three tester strips and wrote which one was which on the test paper. Then I went through the store doing my own "research".

Here are the results:

Men: 7 (age range roughly 70 - 30) (3 black, 3 white, 1 asian)
Women: 7 (age range roughly 60 - 25) (2 black, 4 white, 1 asian)

Results:

5 out of 7 men preferred Mademoiselle (70 year old man - Coco) (asian man - allure)

6 out of 7 women preferred Mademoiselle (1 - coco)

There you go...my stats don't lie :)

I am not going to describe the scent, as I am not familiar with the terminology used in fragrances, but what I wll try to do is describe how this makes me feel.

I'm a stay-at-home mom of two young children, often dressed in yoga pants and a tee/tank and on a good day---jeans. Between chauffering children and animals to appointments, and activiites, or scrubbing floors or preparing laborious meals to those who inhale it in seconds, I feel underappreciated and ignored.

However, one spritz of the EDP and I am transformed. I feel confident, I feel important and I feel like I command attention. My husband notices, my children notice and the other schleppy moms take notice as well. No matter how disheveled I look, this makes me feel like I'm wearing a gorgeous ball gown with glass slippers or a power suit and stiletto heels. I hold my head high, flash a genuine smile and feel proud of who I am.

I wish I discovered this sooner; it really can change my mood in an instant. The scent is alluring and lasts all day. Just looking at the bottle (I purchased EDP Twist and Spray) makes me tingle. Don't tell my husband that I've found another love.

on 1/14/2010 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I had no idea about the "hype" of this fragrance or anything else about it...just received this as a sample in a swap and I really like it. This fragrance tends to last a long time on me and it smells very floral and spicy at the same time. I have no idea about the specific notes because I'm not that familiar with fragrances...I just know what I like and what I don't like.

I find it fascinating that some silly little girls put a label on anyone who likes something they don't like (e.g. review stating fragrance reminds them of a great-grandmother trying to fit into a miniskirt). Please. Just plain tacky. If there is one thing I don't like about MUA - that's it!

on 4/18/2006 10:26:00 PM

My husband bought this for me after spending over an hour at a perfume boutique on a business trip without me. He sprayed both of his arms and half of his chest with a dozen different tiny samples of anything the two shop gals handed him and nothing nothing nothing made him happy until he smelled this. (I had told him 19 was my favorite.....but they didn't have that) So he brought the SUPERSIZE large orange bottle home to me. I sprayed it on my body for him and I got an instant headache, but I just smiled and said "thank you honey! That was so nice of you (gag) and I really (sputter) don't think you should give me such (gag) expensive (wheez) gifts (cough)". To this day I wear it in my hair for him, only for him, and only rarely. To me it smells like the orange and vanilla ice cream on a stick that I used to eat in abundance when I was little. But see, it smells like food. Most men do love food scents. My man in particular would probably like it if I just sprayed a little meat grease on in the evening when he's around. It's a 3 fragrance for me. A 3 for a creative departure from most Chanel scents and I dare say it's something "Coco" would never have worn. I admit I've grown to like it more and more.

on 11/25/2012 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Curly, Fine

This is my all time favourite fragrance. Chanel and I have great chemistry. All her fragrances work well on me. Not all perfumes do. North American fragrance is very bitter on me! Aren't I lucky I have to buy French perfume. I love the magic of the Oriental spices. Rose, jasmine, patchouli, vetiver, vanilla and white musk. Yummy. A real mood
setter and not the for office. Use it with a light hand, it is strong and still smells delicious
the next morning. Put in on at least 30 minutes before you go out. Coco M. needs times to settle down to a perfect note before going public. The long lasting life of all Chanel EDT makes the price bearable,in the bottle and on the body. My bottle is at least 3 years old and still good as new.
Spray it on yourself in the store, walk around the mall for 20 minutes then sniff it. Do not rub it. That is the real scent. Not on a paper card. Fragrance needs your skin to marinate and reflect your personal chemistry.Coco Chanel was an amazing woman. A rule breaker and a trendsetter. Read about her. And enjoy her legacy.

on 5/7/2009 3:15:00 PM

This is the most beautiful fragrance in the world!! Every time I wear it EVERYONE comments on how beautiful it smells. Make sure to purchase the eau de parfum- very expensive- but it has different notes than the cologne. Tried both and they smell very different. It's worth the extra cost. It lasts ALL day- no kidding! No other fragrance has done that on me.
It is sophisticated, glamorous and calming - just beautiful!!! You won't regret trying and buying it! Let me know

on 11/27/2015 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

First off Chanel fragrances are hands down my favorite high end perfumes, they always have the best longevity and quality and this one is no exception. I had my eye on Coco Mademoiselle for atleast 4-6 months, it's very expensive (92 dollars for 1.7 oz) and I always would talk myself out of buying it but finally I caved and I'm so glad I did. It's become one of my all time favorite perfumes. It's completely different than what I usually go for but now that I'm maturing I think my taste is changing. I would describe this as an oriental citrus floral. It's very sophisticated, very feminine and very expensive smelling. This is probably something you would wear for a wedding or a special occasion or date night but I love it enough that I wear it as my every day fragrance. I've heard some describe this as "old-ladyish" which I personally have never felt this fragrance was too mature or old-ladyish in the slightest. It's kind of in the middle of the road between the original Coco and Chance Eau Tendre. It's not as dark and daring as the original Coco but more grown and classy than the Chance line which is very spring/summer fun fragrances such as Eau Tendre. It's very appropriate for women in their 20s-40s although age doesn't really matter. The citrus, patchouli and Tonka bean are what are most noticeable to my nose with this fragrance. For me the best part about this perfume is the lasting power and the silage. I wore this in Sephora the other day and a woman walked by me with her daughter and said "that girl smells really good". If you don't spray too much, it's not overwhelming, it has a presence but it's not loud and obnoxious. This is by far the longest lasting fragrance that I own, I will smell like this from the moment I spray it to the next morning when I shower again. I sprayed this on a coat of mine and for days I could still smell it on the sleeve, it also stays in my hair like no other. That alone to me makes the perfume worth the price tag. Also the bottle is stunning and looks so pretty on my dresser. I know this fragrance is very popular and A LOT of women wear it, so if you want something unique and out of the box this might not be for you but I don't care if I smell like every other woman at the mall, the scent is that good. All in all this gets a 10/10, this will definitely be a staple fragrance for me for years to come.

TLDR:
Notes: Bergamot, Orange Blossom, Mandarin Orange, Turkish Rose, Jasmine, Mimosa, Ylang -Ylang, Vetiver, Opoponax, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Musk.
What I smell the most: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, and the Citrus notes.
Described as: Oriental Sweet Floral
Prices: 1.2oz ($77) 1.7oz ($92) 3.4 ($122)
Packaging: 5/5
Best suited for: Special Occasions
Night time or Day time: both
Longevity: 5/5