CHANEL Coco Mademoiselle Eau de Parfum Intense

4.4

on 3/20/2011 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I have been searching for my perfects scent for a year now and I really wanted it to be a Chanel. I have been buying samples and trying fragrances to the point of it being an obsession . I have tried all of the readily available Chanels but I guess Chanel and I will never be friends. This one especially seem heavy and old smelling. I think it might have been patchouli. This is geared for young women but to me only a old lady would love it. I gave it 2 stars because of it's staying power. I sprayed myself yesterday at Ulta with this, took a shower this morning and I can still detect a hint of it. I will continue to keep searching. I wore Dolce &Gabanna Light Blue from when it was first introduced and loved it, then it became so popular it wasn't "my scent" any more. I guess I will keep searching. So far I really like Gucci Eau de Parfum II, but I am not sure it if will be "the one".

First of all, I accidently snagged this at auction mistakenly thinking it was the original Coco, not Coco Mademoiselle. I got the Eau de Parfum. I'm not really sorry as I like this scent. But that's it, I like, not love, the Mademoiselle.

On first little spritz on me, I was attacked by the aroma of oranges. Quite mature oranges. The patchouli and vetiver chime in on dry down, easing the overwhelming orange aroma somewhat.

Now, orange IS a refreshing scent, but this aroma is QUITE strong on first impact. And Coco Mademoiselle has tremendous sillage. In fact one should use the spritz and walk through technique when applying this.

On dry down this smells quite a bit more woodsy as the patchouli and vetiver and jasmine come out. I'm never really sensing the rose in Mademoiselle, at least not on me or my sister (dragged her into this for a second opinion).

One final note. This scent makes me sneeze. I believe it's the patchouli. I have an allergy to most incense and potpourri with patchouli in it.

Overall, this scent is too heavy of a woody oriental chypre scent for work but would work well for an evening out. That is, an evening out for someone not allergic to patchouli.

7/19/2011 EDIT: I have actually come to really like this scent when it is applied lightly. So, after giving the original bottle to my daughter (who really likes this scent), I ended up getting another bottle for myself (again at auction, someone who had gotten the entire gift set and didn't use it. I apply a little of the scented moisturizer then a very light spray of the eau de parfum.

More on Coco Mademoiselle:

Chanel perfumes and colognes
Chypre Floral fragrances
Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel
For: women Designer: Chanel Olfactive Group: Chypre Floral Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel is a chypre floral fragrance for women. Coco Mademoiselle was launched in 2001. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Polge. Top notes are orange, mandarin orange, orange blossom and bergamot; middle notes are mimose, jasmine, turkish rose and ylang-ylang; base notes are tonka bean, patchouli, opoponax, vanilla, vetiver and white musk.

on 8/14/2006 8:30:00 AM

I am on my second bottle of this, something very unusual for me. No particular note hits me when I wear this, not the bergamot/orange/vanilla topnote, nor the rose/jasmine middle note, nor the patchouli/vetiver base. Rather, it is the sum of all these parts which Chanel has ingeniously melded into a most intoxicating and captivating scent. Yet, all the while being clean and fresh. Yes, it is faintly reminiscent of Chance but more woody and long-lasting. I cannot fathom anyone thinking this smells cheap. My family loves this one on me.

on 1/11/2019 11:53:00 AM

This review is for the original Coco Mademoiselle EDP, not the "Intense" version. A bastion of the fragrance world since its birth in 2001, Coco Mad took the radical juxtapositions in Thierry Mugler's Angel (bright citrus, sweet pralines, and funky patchouli) and made them much prettier and more digestible. Coco Mad is impeccably clean, right down to its white patchouli that is soothing, cooling, and fresh but never dirty or armpit-like. It is gorgeous from the neroli-bergamot start, through the jasmine-rose-praline heart, right down to the vetiver-patchouli finish. You WILL smell good and it WILL last all day.

Unique when it first emerged, Coco Mad has been copied and riffed on by so many other fragrance houses with their gourmand/floral/fruitchoulis that it no longer feels like a fresh idea at all. But this stuff was AMAZING to our noses in 2001. Nothing like it had ever been marketed.

I hate that I love Coco Mad. I want to oppose it on principle, for many reasons: because it is so incredibly popular and overplayed, because of the silly Chanel markup, and because it is so very modern and clean and I'm more of an animalic feral vintage fragrance lover who wants to be quirky and unique. However, one simply cannot deny how wonderful this stuff smells. It's aromatherapeutic and so sexy. I'm gonna wear it in spite of myself!

on 2/25/2018 11:04:00 PM

i stumbled upon this in the store today wanting to spray on Coco.... but saw this and not knowing what it was exactly gave it a try.

this may be the best perfume ive ever smelled in my life

its floral its oriental its sweet but not too so its spicy and some sandalwood in there and it smells rich it smells like being on a mountainside in montecarlo on a starry summer night with you being a goddess movie star in a black and white movie

when i later googled i found out its just been released see? it called out to me with its psychic powers....

Years ago I fell in love with this scented oil fragrance by Bloom. Among the notes were patchouli, rose, bergamot and orange. It became too hard to find, however and I moved on to other scents.
Then I was exploring at the Chanel counter before Christmas and got a whiff of this and was taken back in time. This is a warmer version of that wonderful scented oil, and I knew I had to get this.
It's quite strong and just a spritz (maybe two if you're going out) is plenty. It starts out with a burst of fresh orange and then warms on my skin. By evening there's a lingering hint of orange and the warm patchouli and vanilla. This could be my desert island fragrance!

Before my daughter left for college, we went to Rodeo Drive to find a perfume to choose for her, a signature scent. We went to Neiman Marcus, Saks, and many boutiques on Rodeo. She loved many, loathed some, and had to decide. At the end, the choice was between Tiffany's perfume and Coco Mademoiselle. We went back and resniffed both. Finally, she made the choice: Coco Mademoiselle. I heartily agreed with her. It is contemporary, young, attractive, and lively. A great scent.

on 10/29/2007 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is probably my All Time Favorite, I'm actually unhappy over the new advertising campaign, because I selfishly don't want to smell this everywhere I go, JUST ON ME! It definitely has oriental/woody notes, which I think are beautiful as long as it is lightly sprayed ( I use the EDP).
.My niece, who I adore, and who is way younger than I (she's 25), sprays this so heavily that I can smell it in my driveway (outside!) long after she and her car are gone. All the notes are smashed together forming a toxic fog at this strength.
Use a light hand, and others will still notice it and compliment you, even after you can no longer smell yourself.

Popular Fragrances