CeraVe Healing Ointment

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
CeraVe Healing Ointment
Healing Ointment

4.4

Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Ozokerite, Dimethicone, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Ceramide 1, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Panthenol, Water, L-Proline, Xanthan Gum

on 12/15/2017 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I picked up two purse size tubes of the Cerave ointment on a whim. I usually keep the same size Aquaphor in my purse, my night table, in my desk at work - you get the idea - but Cerave products have worked for me before and, frankly, Aquaphor is the same as Vaseline, in my opinion. Like Aquaphor this is great for the lips, the hands, cuticles, etc. but I never, ever considered putting it under my eyes until I read about it here on MakeupAlley (I think). It's cold out and, despite my efforts, I had one stubborn dry patch ruining my foundation and don't want any more. I squirt out a bead of ointment, melt it by rubbing it between my thumb and forefinger and pat a thin layer under both eyes and on the patch. It doesn't make make my concealer greasy or slippery. Instead it acts like a sealer/primer, sealing in my other moisturizing efforts and providing a smooth surface for the concealer. Hours later my under eye area is still moisturized and not at all papery as it normally is by the end of the day. And, the patch is gone.

Milia is a concern so I avoid the inner corners of the eye (where I've had it before), concentrating instead on underneath and the outer corners. I do not apply the ointment at night. I wouldn't buy this in a tub (unsanitary) but I will buy the large tube when these two lil ones run out.

on 9/6/2017 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I bought a tube of this almost two years ago and used it off and on for moisturizing wherever needed. Earlier this year I was watching a video by Dr. Dray on YT and she said to use a swipe of this on the upper eye area, below the brows, to protect from sunscreen, or retin-a , from sliding into the eyes. So I started using this ointment to protect my eyes from getting sunscreen in them , a real problem since I have oily skin and that helps SS or makeup slide down my face, over the course of the day and it works! That alone makes this stuff very valuable in my book. I also use this from time to time as an eye and fine line cream where needed on my face and it works wonderfully well for that. The fact that this has ceramides as well as panthenol and hyaluronic acid makes it a really great moisturizer and not just an occlusive sealant like Vaseline or other mineral oil based products. If used for just the eye area this ointment is an amazing bargain. Will always keep a tube of this in my stash and would give ten lippies if I could! Great product!

on 3/31/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I purchased the 3 oz tube and recently purchased 0.35 (10g) x2 package from Walgreens. I prefer using this rather than using Vaseline or Aquaphor.

CeraVe seems silkier, more watery which feels great on my lips - I don't use this anywhere else except for lips.

Tiny tube is prefect size for throwing in your purse/traveling.

I use this everyday and my lips are very soft and moist.

on 12/29/2016 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I got this from a rec from the ladies on the skin care board to use it as an eye cream. I picked it up and have been using it for about a month now. It has a lot of really good ingredients so it seemed perfect, plus I already was using Vaseline **with cocoa butter** (that's important) every night on my lashes and eyes.

So this is much pricier, #1. It feels more like a regular Vaseline than a cocoa butter or aquaphor. I know they are super similar, I just feel the other two are silkier. This is a little tougher. I think because of the price, I'm not using as much, and therefore I get more tugging on my eyes than I would want. But I do honestly think it's thicker as well which makes that a little harder. I also started using RapidLash, which I love, but because of that, I don't really use this on my lashes like I used to with the Vaseline.

I also sometimes use this on my cuts/scabs and I DO think it's great for that. I would maybe buy a larger bottle as a hand cream? I use a lot of first aid and petroleums though already. I will also add, I recently had an eczema flare up and I didn't have this with me (plus I only have a small tube that wouldn't go far on my hands but lasts forever for the eyes) and I only had emu oil where I was staying and I resisted using that forEVER but it did work. Though people say this does work for that. I would probably want to buy this over that if I had a flare again, but I wonder how it would perform for me.

BUT. Final answer? I honestly don't think it does much for my eyes. I know that's unpopular, but I really don't. I had stared an expensive eye cream before this and I did start to see results and so I would wait a while after applying that and letting it absorb, and then use this. But honestly, I don't see improvement at ALL! If anything I think it may make my eyes redder....Idk guys. I like the ingredients but it either has too much or too little of something to really make it worth it for my eyes. I also didn't love it on my lips which is weird, you'd think I would. So I can't say I won't buy it again for hands or something, but honestly it's very expensive for that. I don't think I'll use this on my under eyes after I finish my tube though. It just didn't impress me that much. :\ Sorry guys. I still think it's worth it to buy the small tube and try it out, it could be great for you! I just had really high hopes and was a teeny bit let down.

UPDATE: I started derma rolling and I actually found a use for this. I'm sensitive to so many ingredients so serums are tricky, but this is great for post-rolling. I would buy it again for that. I still prefer Vaseline cocoa butter and rapid lash for my lashes, and real eye creams, but this is great for the rolling and I upped my review because of that. I still occasionally use it on my under eyes over another cream. This or the Vaseline cocoa. I did buy another small one because of a coupon but it's not HG to me.

on 10/23/2016 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been happily using Vaseline petroleum jelly as an eye cream since May, but lately it's just not cutting it. My eyes have been flakey and dry and irritated despite using a proper eye cream under it. I needed more than a simple occlusive. Luckily I got a little jar of this when I purchased another CeraVe product and decided to give it a go, only vaguely aware of the fact that it's not just mineral oil, so it might be more moisturizing. Well, I wasn't wrong. Not only did this hang around throughout the night (not rubbing off like Vaseline does) sealing everything in, it adds a TON of moisture with it's mix of ceramides, hyaluronic acid, cholesterol, vitamin E, panthenol, and fatty alcohol. Yeah, it's not the most exciting list of ingredients, but they get sh** done. And on that note let me tell you a little story:

Almost a week ago I was making blackberry jam, stirring like crazy as I added in pectin and what should happen, but a great big blob of it splashed up and caught me on the underside of my chin. End result: 1/2" wide, 3" long bright red burn. I put a bunch of stuff on it that really didn't do anything except make it hurt even worse. Until I reached for this. Multiple applications a day soothed the pain, and assisted peeling and healing. Now it's shrunk considerably in size, isn't peeling, and is faintly pink and fading fast. Oh, and I've haven't gotten a single pimple on my sure acne prone chin while using this. That's like A+++ skincare right there.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

It is the equivalent of using vaseline on ones skin to soothe it with. Which is why, you can honestly just buy a big tub of Vaseline (which is much cheaper), and simply use that instead.

Now, i didn't use this product on my body, but instead on my face. Never again will i buy this over priced stuff again when my face gets very dry and irritated, as it just sat on my face, made it super greasy, and clogged my pores in the process.

on 3/3/2016 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I found this to be far superior to Vaseline or Aquaphor after a chemical peel and a little bit goes a long way. It FEELS like it moisturizes and penetrates through the dry, ready to peel layers...which makes sleeping at night much easier (and I could smile and talk without cracking). It's not as sticky as Vaseline, which is nice when you have big, fluffy cats in the house. It's not completely tackless, but I didn't feel like I was "slugging" it, as with Vaseline.

I wasn't a fan of this for my lips, as I found it didn't last as long as my HG nighttime lip treatment of lanolin. I also wasn't a fan of this for under my eyes as an eye cream (my original purpose for purchase). It didn't last through my face smooshing sleep sessions (oh, seriously, I TRY to sleep on my back, I really do!). Lanolin or my favorite Shiseido Wrinkle Resist 24 eye cream is more effective at not only softening the fine lines, but staying put all night, too.

I will absolutely keep purchasing this as long as I continue with chemical peels. It's good stuff!

on 2/2/2016 10:27:00 PM

I love this!! Although I had acne-prone skin when I was younger, since hitting my mid-50s, my face has become extremely dry, sensitive and I have developed eczema on my nose and eyelids. Cortisone creams would clear it up, but it always returned within days of stopping the cortisone, and long- term use of steroids on the face is not a good idea (thins the skin). Creams had no effect. Aquaphor would help, but the eczema never completely cleared up, and my face was left greasy and shiny (unattractive without make-up, but I also couldn't use make-up right over the greasy surface). This ointment is working as well as the cortisone creams, without the steroid side effects (I assume because of the ceramides, which have a reputation for being helpful for eczema). Ointments are greasier than creams, but this one goes on a bit less greasy than Aquaphor and then absorbs to a nice matte finish that is much more attractive. (Those who complain about greasiness that persists more than a few minutes may be using too much - less than a pea sized amount works for me.) It has not caused me any breakouts, but that might have been a problem when I was younger. I use the ointment only on the eczema-prone areas twice a day, immediately after washing my face with Cerave hydrating cleanser (because it doesn't foam up, which tends to dry skin, it works well for me) and while it is still a little damp, and use a regular moisturizer for the rest of my face. Having said all this, I highly recommend this product, but primarily for those with sensitive or eczema-prone skin, not for all-over moisturizing for most people, and probably not for the acne-prone.

on 1/21/2016 6:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought the small tube of this. It is a petroleum jelly / mineral / silicone based product. It is an "ointment" that is more emollient than plain old Vaseline and way less thick than Aquaphor. It seems to absorb nicely into my skin. I have used it on my chapped lips (have NOT used it under lipstick though) & on the skin around the outside of my eyes. These are two areas that get really dry in the winter for me. I don't think this would replace Aquaphor or Vaseline (not for me) because they both have benefits/purpose that the CeraVe does not offer. Sometimes I need the thick, not budging, goopiness of Aquaphor. Also sometimes I need the one ingredient simplicity of Vaseline. But the CeraVe ointments does have ceramides and is something I would use more as an evening spot moisturizer (I have not had the guts to slather this all over my face.). Again, my favorite place to use this is on my dry crows feet area and my lips. If you are curious about this, buy the little tube first to try so you don't get stuck with the tub.

Also, please pay attention to the first line of this review and the ingredients in the "ingredient" section. If you have issues with Mineral Oil, Petroleum Jelly, Dimethicone, or Vitamin E - probably wouldn't touch this stuff. It is in a petroleum jelly base, so I am sure there will be a lot of "it's just glorified Vaseline" comments. But, this has other benefits (ceramides, Vitamin E) that plain old Vaseline does not have. I have dry, sensitive skin and have had no breakouts or irritations.