MAC Cosmetics Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour

Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour

3.3

on 8/29/2018 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

- Oh Lady is a stunning color, and I can even wear it during daytime without looking ott. A bit dry and quite patchy, but still wearable. 4/5
- Topped with Brandy is much less of a success: when on my lips, this apparently beautiful brown-plum literally becomes the color of dry mud, and it takes around an hour of wear before it starts to look nice - which it somehow does, eventually. 2/5

on 8/10/2018 10:01:00 PM

Worst lipstick I ever tried. Drying af and impossible to remove. Rubbish

I have Burnt Spice and I absolutely love it. Make sure you use a lip balm first though

This is the only matte lipstick I love and actually works on me and I've tried many matte lipsticks including high end and this is the only one I'll ever buy. Also I have extremely dry lips because I've taken accutane, but I can wear this all day and not have to worry about my lips getting chapped. It doesn't flake or ever dry out your lips. *warning the colours do dry darker, so it's better to go in store and test the shades.*

Absolutely love these. My favorite lippies. I have this in a few different shades. Lasts all day and is non-drying. To get the most pigmentation, you have to apply multiple layers and let them dry in between. I wish these came in a wider range of colors, but I love the ones I have. Oh Lady and Carnivorous are my favorite shades.

The most awful lipstick I ever bought. You'd think for £18 from Mac you'd get something better quality than a regular high street brand lipstick but this can't event compare to some cheap versions on the market, it's so bad ! patchy, feels heavy and sticky ... I feel like I'm wearing something bought from a pound shop. Very disappointed.

I have the Carnivorous. The pigmentation is excellent. In just one swipe on my lips, I got a full coverage. I even don't have to put another layer because it is already even. It wears off when it I ate oily foods, it came off and became really sticky which annoyed me, so I wiped everything off and reapply afterwards. The 8 hour and long-wearing thing that they claim may only be applied when you are not planning to eat oily foods.
See full review @ http://www.diaryofaiko.com/2018/03/review-mac-retro-matte-liquid-lip-color.html

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this now and then for over a year now. I finally accepted that I hate this formula. It was expensive and I waited on a list to buy it, so I wanted to like it. I also love the color. But it is so hard to use, drying, and also is a complete disaster if you try to eat with it. You have to monitor yourself constantly to make sure it hasn't gotten weird. The MAC velvetease lip crayons are 10 times better, and they gave you the same saturated color.

Well... long story short, for me these are just perfect. If there were more shades of these, I think I wouldn't be wearing anything else. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are other great matte lipsticks in the market. But I'm a mac junkie, so...
These lipsticks are very opaque (true full coverage) and they do last for hours. They look fabulous! I'm a teacher and wear them every day, and although I speak all day long, at the end of the day they have just started to break where my lips touch. No flaking, no colour bleed.

On the downside, be warned that some shades turn out much darker than they look in the little jar of theirs when they dry, so better go try them on and avoid blind buys, just to be on the safe side (21$/25€ is a lot of money for a lipstick, let alone one you won't wear). Also be sure to moisturize your lips before applying. Can be removed VERY easily with a few drops of cooking oil!

on 11/12/2017 1:22:00 PM

Usually matte lip products aren't my thing, but I was intrigued by the swatches I saw online and had to try one of these. I chose Pearl Punk, which is a warmish/neutral pink.

My issue with mattes is that they can be awfully drying (Anastasia Beverly Hills, I'm looking at you) and unforgiving of any flakes or fine lines. This was drier than non-matte lipsticks, but not awful or uncomfortable. It lasts for hours without touching up, which is the upside to the dry texture. I can apply this before work and not give it a second thought until lunchtime.

Like other mattes, this isn't the best formula if your lips are already dry or rough. That said, it's better than any other matte liquid lipstick that I've tried, and it doesn't seem to highlight my less-than-perfect lips. I like the metallic finish--it's more interesting than a plain matte, but subtle enough for the office.

I like this, and might be inclined to try other Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolours after I road test this a bit longer. Not sure I'd want to pay $21 for another one, though.