NARS 'Fantascene' Cheek Palette - Despair

NARS 'Fantascene' Cheek Palette - Despair

on 4/12/2017 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hate to review a long gone limited edition item, but this is the product I got my username from. I wrote the first and only review on this from my old account. Out of everything in my makeup collection, this is my #1 favorite item.

I use Nico (the pale beige shade) almost every day to set my undereyes. Sometimes I put it all over my face depending on how I feel. It can be used as a setting powder for my fair-medium skintone. It gives a lovely sheen to the skin and just brightens up the face.

The matte pink blush, Savage, is one that I use so frequently. With a light hand it gives the perfect flush. Not subtle, but beautiful nevertheless.

The orange shade (Esoteric) is a favorite of mine in the summer. It's a warm yellow-orange color with gold shimmer.

I often mix the purple shade (Ferocious) with Savage but if worn on its own (which I do just as often) it translates to a berry-toned flush of color on my cheeks.

All of the shades are great quality. I don't have to use any type of special brushes with them. I never use the mini Ita brush that this palette comes with anymore, but have never had an issue with any brush I've used with this palette. When I saw this product, I knew I HAD to have it. I got it Winter 2015 and use it so frequently (in spite of the "unwearable" shades) that I know I'll hit pan soon.

I wouldn't buy again only because NARS is owned by Shiseido and while NARS is technically cruelty-free, Shiseido is not.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The NARS X Steven Klein Fantascene collection had me drooling. Seeing as the brand is NARS of course these products are going to come with a hefty price tag. I fell so madly in love with the entire collection but told myself I can only purchase one item from it. I chose the Cheek Palette. It's called "Despair" which is one of the many reasons I'm hopelessly obsessed with this palette.

The packaging y'all... it is beautiful. This is the first NARS item I've ever owned but I'm a bit familiar with the brand. From what I've seen the packaging is typically a black rubberized material. The packaging of this palette is black plastic, but it still feels sturdy, durable, and well made. The front of the palette is an absolute work of art. When you open it up, you'll find that it contains a large mirror, which is a really nice addition.

This palette was $65.00. It includes four blush colors at 0.12 oz each. Your typical NARS single blush contains 0.16 oz, to give a comparison. It also comes with a mini ITA kabuki brush. Three of the four blush colors in the palette are limited edition and one is permanent.

The first color is called Nico. This is part of the NARS permanent collection. This color is so unique! A light beige with satin shimmer. It is soooo smooth and bendable. Can be used as a blush, highlight, or all over the face really (well, depending on your skin tone).

The next shade (and only matte in the palette) is called Savage. It is a medium pink with warm undertones. I've also seen this described as a coral red. It is absolutely gorgeous and the perfect everyday blush color.

Next up we have Esoteric. It is a soft, medium orange with warm, yellow undertones and fine golden shimmer. Simply put, a peach sort of color. This one I had to build up more than the others and I found that it did kick up some excess powder in the pan. But the stunning color overshadows any small issues that you can find knit-picking at this one.

Lastly there is Ferocious. It is a muted, medium purple with cooler undertones, shimmer, and a pearly sheen. I find that this is the most pigmented shade in the palette and it shows up as a ravishing berry color on my fair skin.

Each and every single one of these shades performs outstandingly. They are all extremely blendable. While some are more pigmented than others, I'd say the opacity of these is all within the "just-right" range. They aren't so sheer that they vanish on the skin but they also aren't so pigmented that you'll wind up looking like a clown even if you barely dip your brush in.

These powder blushes are all extremely smooth. They feel high quality, as is to be expected. There is no scent to them at all (not sure why there would be, but just thought I'd mention that.)

All of the shades in this palette last at least 8 hours on my cheeks. I have to say I'm extremely, extremely impressed. I never thought it'd be possible to love a makeup item so much and just can't sing my praises on this enough.

This palette is limited edition so if you are interested in it pick it up before it's gone! I would say I'd repurchase it when I run out but it'll probably be long discontinued by then.

Popular Blush Products