Paula's Choice Resist 1% Retinol Booster

Paula's Choice Resist 1% Retinol Booster

4.5

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Glycereth-7 Triacetate (skin-conditioning agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Oleosomes (anti-inflammatory plant-based fatty acids), Isopentyldiol (penetration enhancer/solvent), Polyglyceryl-10 Behenate/Eicosadioate (emulsifier), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract (antioxidant plant extract), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Retinol (cell-communicating ingredient), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (plant-derived anti-irritant), Ceramide 3 (skin-repairing ingredient), Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1 (cell-communicating ingredient), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Epilobium Angustifolium Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Arctium Lappa Root Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Allantoin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (anti-irritants), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate (emulsifier), Dipentaerythrityl Tri-Polyhydroxystearate (film-forming agent/emollient), Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene (skin-conditioning agent), Hydrogenated Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Bis-Glyceryl Ascorbate (antioxidant), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sorbic Acid (preservative), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I started using this about six months ago and I really love it. When I started, I mixed it with my Cerave PM lotion because I didn't want it to flay off my face or anything. But then I tried it just by itself and I liked it even better. My skin tolerates this well, so I use it every night.

The consistency is quite runny, it's orange, and it smells like a highly diluted vitamin c. There is no lingering odor. Before it dries completely, it's a bit tacky, but that goes away.

It is pricey, but I like it and my skin is one thing I'm not interested in futzing around with. I'm 41, but I'm regularly guessed at being in my early 30s. I may not have the most toned body, but I will fight tooth and nail for my facial skin.

You can feel this working!

on 5/14/2017 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I prefer the texture of the 1% clinical (IMO it's like a fluffy cream), but I wanted to know whether there was any other substantive difference as per Paula's choice. I found this on the Paula's choice website under the boosters description:

As per Paula's choice website:

What is the difference between the RESIST 1% Retinol Booster and the CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment?
The difference is in the texture. The CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment has a light lotion texture that is best for normal to dry skin. The RESIST 1% Retinol Booster has a fluid, liquid texture that is best for normal to oily skin or if you are layering it with other products such as our targeted solutions or other boosters.

I tend to rotate or alternate products and prefer not to layer too many. I also feel like I use less when it's not as fluid (I often use less than the amount recommended), and I am also more careful about where I am placing the product (but that is not the norm). The exception where I do prefer a more fluid medium is the PC 2%BHA liquid. I have mature Asian combination skin and am prone to hives and milia. If you want a retinol formula that has more of a silicone slip, that's the resist wrinkle one in the silver pump. But, IMO, the silver resist is not geared towards oiler skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Personally I have tried both the clinical 1% and this 1% booster. I like this one better because of the more watery texture. I'm very prone to have white bumps in cheeks and forehead, most of the time dimethicone or cyclopentasiloxane heavy products give me that, that is why I purchased this after trying out both samples. For effect, I'm still young and oily skin ages slowly so I cannot tell much difference between the two. Retinol products are supposed to show their amazing effect years later so I will definitely keep using. For all the products on the market, I believe this one is the most cost effective, fragrance free, oil free, high potency retinol for acne prone skin. Good job Paula!

on 10/22/2016 10:45:00 AM

This is the best retinol I've tried so far.It causes no dryness or irritation and I started off using it everyday but I also add the moisture renewal and hyaluronic acid oil so I make sure I don't get dry.This makes my face look smooth bright and has been really helping with my breakouts especially the ones along my jawline.It does cis the $52 but a little goes a long way and you can add it to your serum or moisturizer
You can use my coupon code https://goo.gl/Jq02dh
to get $10 off and right now she has if you spend $50 or more you get another $10 off plus a trial size of the moisture renewal oil booster and trial size of the hyaluronic acid oil booster so this could end up costing you only $32!

on 9/18/2015 8:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Retinol booster:
This has a gel consistency . It is slightly moisturizing to touch the but non- greasy.
The star ingredient 'retinol' is in the middle of the list. It packs a punch with skin identicle ingredients, skin communicators , antioxidants and anti irritants. This has 1% retinol but doesn't list as an active ingredient, so I find it doubtful. The packaging is bigger than normal : 15ml/ 0.5 fl 0z, and opaque to protect the precious ingredients.
This is a booster, so it can be added to your moisturizer, applied to your face before your routine, or used alone.
One drop gives a minute boost. Whereas extra drops will increase the intensity.
My experience: My skin is combination oily and I was pleased with the viscous gel texture. I was also very happy with the size. I used with one lotion and this did not flake on me (yay!)
I noticed that it softened my fine lines, and it gave my skin a dewy glow. However, it did take a few minutes to dry.
My cautions are 1.)Be careful mixing products. It can cause them to pill and flake. 2.) If your skin is sensitive try using a smaller amount, alternating the days you use it, or add it to your lotion to serve as a buffer.
I still have to use it longer to see more benefits. So, and I will update in the future.

Top Rated Treatments (Face)

image