e.l.f. Cosmetics Cosmetics Beautifully Bare Foundation Serum SPF 25

e.l.f. Cosmetics Cosmetics Beautifully Bare Foundation Serum SPF 25

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 13.8Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water (Aqua), Dimethicone, Silica, Isododecane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Quaternium-18 Bentonite, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Talc, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Pentaethrityl Tetraisotearate, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Disteardimonium Hectorite, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Punica Granatum Seed oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Retinyl Palmitate (Va), Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vc), Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

on 6/25/2018 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade but this is not worth $8. If you compare it with drugstore brands, this is a rip-off. In comparison with the Rimmel 25 Hour Foundation, this doesn’t hold a candle. The consistency is nice. It feels good when you apply it. However, it lasts on your skin for about 2 minutes. It provides little to no coverage no matter how many layers you add. It doesn’t cover flaws so why would anyone consider this as a foundation? Maybe a tinted moisturizer but even then, I would question the word “tinted.” I even tried it with the suggested elf primer but still no use. If you have oily skin, forget about this. If you have some flaws, forget about this. My suggestion is to mix this with other foundations, especially the ones that dry too fast.

I personally lurve this!! It has a few flaws mainly the deceptive packaging & cost. My DF bought it for me thinking I would like it—I do!! It is so light “like your skin but better,” but it does have a light sateen coverage that i use with Chanel loose powder. I have to blot once a day w this, typically, & add a pressed powder but I am v. oily. Idk which color I got but it was quite yellow I’m NC20 & oh it was perf! $16 or $17 for an ounce of DS fdtn is pricy. Nothing else like it at the DS. I wonder if this is a Perricone dupe? It has a good spf for someone who never wears spf unless around water or an outdoors activity (eg horse show, not running errands! My bad). It doesn’t break me out & has no scent. Try it if u don’t like it yer out $8 (who would return an $8 DS item half used?!!). all-in-all I would #DefReBuy #Win4OilySkin Grade: A-/B+

I like E.L.F products. They are a great drugstore brand with a high end feel to them. This serum foundation gives you a sheer, buildable coverage that does not feel heavy on your skin. When I want to wear a liquid foundation and not have the full coverage look, this is my go to foundation.

It's thin and runny so I have to put it on my beauty blender and then apply it to my face but it blends out very easily and nicely. I like a dewy look so I don't set it with a lot of powder, just setting spray.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

ME: Acne-prone, textured scars, light olive skin. Combo dry-oily skin, and VERY sensitive. Updating my makeup drawer, because I am finding almost all the conventional stuff I used to put on my face is no longer compatible with my skin.
Absolute Nos: hexylene glycol, waxes, ethylhexyl palmitate, ethylhexyl glycerine. Other stuff (butylene glycol, lavender oil, etc. shown by science to be skin irritants.)

THE PRODUCT: Hey there makeup companies --- if ELF is beating you at your game -- step it up! This is an HG I wasn't even looking for. :) This thin, silicone/watery foundation gives "light but noticeable" coverage that nicely fills in my big ol' pores and it really gives a "your skin, but better" look. No primer or moisturizer - I put this straight on my face, and top it off with Sephora matte powder foundation (lightly; just enough to stop the wet feeling this silicone formula leaves). Then I use a dab of concealer under my eyes and any blemishes.

PROS: This combo of product results in light coverage, but somehow, its enough to look presentable. It is SO comfortable, looks nice, lasts through splashing my face with water to pray-- Praise be to God! I would absolutely RECOMMEND this because it has MINIMAL bad chemical ingredients...many BENEFICIAL...my skin seems to look better because of this makeup. I think I'm gonna need a lifetime supply. :) Okay, L'oreal and Maybelline...where's your comeback?

Cons: Wish it had a OLIVE shade because "Light/Medium" appears golden-neutral in the bottle, but it actually makes me look a little orange. (Shout out to my fellow olive-toned girls!) Have been wearing for a few days, will report back in a couple weeks.

on 11/14/2017 3:40:00 PM

*EDIT* After writing a scathing review about this product about a week ago...I continued to try and use it, actually started to enjoy it, and actually found myself purchasing a back up today when I was at Walmart. Crazy. But I think the problem I was having with product is, when it was new it settled or separated and the first few pumps came out all clear and yucky...kind of like when you use a new bottle of mustard and the first squirts are oily water lol. In any case, with continued use, and a vigorous shaking everytime I use it...the texture is much better. Still very very sheer coverage...but it makes my skin soft and smooth, a little more even toned, and creates a nice base for concealer, powder, etc. So something to keep in mind if you try this and hate it because all your getting is oily watery spime..keep shaking and pumping til it looks more like liquid foundation. Perhaps that should be obvious but it took me awhile to figure that out lol *Previously* I'm not sure if I got a dud or if this product is actually supposed to be THAT runny. I'm not sure if mine separated inside the bottle...the serum from the actual foundation I mean...because from the first pump I had a WTF moment wondering what's up with this oily, watery, slimy yellow liquid that's running off my fingers before I can even apply it to my face... I've read the other reviews to try and compare my experience with others, and everyone seems to describe it as watery or liquidy....but really though??? Anyway with further attempts and pumps and some vigorous shaking I managed to pump out something resembling a colored serum...the only way I cananage to apply it though is with my fingers as I want to get it ony actual face ASAP before it drips everywhere. I suppose applying it directly to a beauty blender or brush might also work...but this truly is a serum not anything close to an actual foundation so I find fingers work best-maybe do a little bouncing with a sponge after applying to blend, although I don't even find it necessary as there's nothing really to blend, almost ZERO coverage. I've used this as a first layer underneath the Flawless Finish foundation, and just today on its own paired with concealer and powder- didn't really add or detract from the rest of my makeup as it's pretty much invisible. So I pretty much consider this as just a serum (fingers crossed that it's good for the skin) or a primer of sorts... Still not sure if the product I bought went bad...or if the product itself is meant to look and feel like that...maybe my expectations were too high...I'm any case, I was SHOOK by the gross consistency and non-existent coverage

on 10/11/2017 9:18:00 PM

I absolutely love this foundation! I prefer BB creams and tinted moisturizers over heavy duty full coverage foundations therefore, this foundation is the best fit for me. It has watery texture and offers buildable sheer coverage but it makes my skin look absolutely beautiful. I think it is due to serum and vitamins content. It has no significant scent. I invested in all types of foundations, high and low end, and this one is the only one I bought in wholesale quantities. I prefer investing in good skin care rather than full coverage base and this foundation delivers beautiful results. It offers semi matte finish for my combination skin and significantly improves skin texture and pores appearance. It makes skin look smooth and very natural. I do not do theatrical makeup but mostly daytime looks for every day makeup. Elf Serum foundation is the best fit for my needs. It does not clog pores and light/medium color for my light olive skin is absolutely perfect. I cannot image another summer without it. It is very light and lets skin breathe while offering even color and SPF25 for sun protection. It blends easily with beauty blender which I prefer over the brush since the formula is very light. Love it, love it, love it!!!! The formula lasts all day and more without getting patchy or uneven.It acts as serum with a color, exactly as claimed.

on 9/7/2017 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm constantly trying new products and this is one I was really excited about. It didn't deliver. The consistency felt nice, as it was very thin and it didn't look cakey but the cons far surpass any of its good points. The colors are very orange and artificial-looking and it sinks into pores. After an hour, the coverage begins to fade noticeably in random places on the face. I'm also breaking out for the first time in moths since using this foundation so that's also a bummer.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I love a good light to light/medium coverage foundation. I wear a lot of tinted moisturizers and my go to foundation is usually Mac Face & Body. But I've gotten a little bit of a tan, and I needed something darker than what I had, so I picked this up recently to try. I bought Light/Medium and it perfectly matches my (fairly yellow toned) NC25 skin.

What I like:

The consistency. It's extremely thin, and spreads and blends easily. I prefer to use a brush, my RT sponge absorbs more of this foundation than I like. I have normal/dry skin and this seems to minimize the look of my dry patches, which is a HUGE plus for me. It doesn't cake up around my nose, or settle into my smile lines. It's comfortable to wear, even in the summer heat, and it easily lasts 8+ hours.

The SPF. It has a decent zinc oxide content and is SPF 25. I wear a higher SPF sunblock when I can be bothered, but for quick days this could easily pull double duty.

The finish. It claims to be dewy, but on my skin at least, it's demi matte. It looks extremely natural. Truly a Your Skin But Better finish. I don't need to set it with a powder, but if you have more oily skin you may need to.

The buildability. It is quite sheer, but it layers beautifully if you have areas with redness that need more coverage. It won't ever completely cover major blemishes, so pair it with a good Concealer.

What I dislike:

The color selection. Most stores only carry three shades. I believe Elf's website has a more expanded shade range of five or so color choices. For POC especially, the shade range is laughable.

The price. It's $8 for less than half an ounce, which puts it on the pricier side for a drugstore foundation. I've had mine about a month now, and I'll probably have to repurchase it soon.

The packaging. I do appreciate the aesthetics of the bottle, and it's nice when a foundation includes a pump. This one however is very hard to control, and because the formula is so thin, you end up making a mess more often than not. In my opinion a dropper or a paddle type applicator would work much better for this foundation.

Overall, I really like this foundation for my skin. I have a hard time recommending it though. The pros of it far outweigh the cons for me personally, and I'll continue to buy it If Elf expands the shade range, I'd be happy to recommend this foundation to other people who enjoy sheer foundations.

I bought this after finally giving up on Glossier's Skin Tint (I love a super sheer "your skin but better" barely-there coverage, but Skin Tint really did nothing for me). At less than half the price, I am *shocked* at how much I love this foundation. Elf is extremely hit or miss for me, but this is my favorite everyday foundation/ bb cream/ tinted moisturizer I've ever tried.

The coverage is very sheer, but not so sheer that you can't see a difference once it's applied. My favorite way to apply this is with the real techniques expert face brush, but to my surprise it also applied really well with my eco tools sponge. I thought that the sponge would just soak up this extremely watery product, but it gave a really nice veil. I don't love applying this with my fingers (which i often do with other foundations), as it just moves the product around too much in my opinion.

I would recommend that you don't shake this product before application. I was so used to skin tint that i gave this a shake one time and it made the product separate a bit. It still applied pretty well, but this product isn't meant shaken around before use.

The wear time is solid, I've been wearing this in the summer in NYC so despite all the sweat and heat my face has looked pretty nice at the end of a long day. I didn't have any issues with the foundation crumbling or separating; it has such a natural finish that if it does wear off in areas it does so in a pretty seamless way. It did get really flaky around one pimple, but I'm 99% that's due to the tea tree oil i applied earlier and not the foundation itself. I really haven't had an issue with it since. I would recommend setting this with a light powder if you're an oily/ combo girl like myself. That being said, the finish of this foundation isn't as dewy as I thought it might be. I would say the finish is natural and very skin like, not overly dewy or matte.

This product is not for everyone-- it is not really buildable to anything other than very light coverage. Personally, I feel more comfortable with this level of coverage even if it doesn't cover up my spots or discoloration, as long as my skin looks healthy and natural. So if you're like me and prefer that look, this product is definitely worth a try. Unless you have PERFECT skin and truly want a barely barely there face product, do not spend your money on skin tint! It's really. not worth it. I know that this is a bit high for elf standards, but it's still on the cheaper end for drugstore and I'm happy to pay for how lovely this looks on my skin.

on 8/7/2017 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I'm still testing this product to figure out how to make it look its best but I wanted to review what I know about it so far because specific color info can be helpful to others. I have a very hard time finding a color match. I have warm toned skin but have some redness in my face that makes it look a different color than my neck. I'm somewhere between MAC studio fix C3 and NC30. C3 is a little too yellow and NC30 isn't yellow enough. Light/Med is a good match for me - slightly too dark but I can see that this would work well when I get a little color. I tried this again today in the dead of winter and it's too dark. It is watery and I've been using a foundation brush to stipple it on because a swiping motion leaves streaks. It's not a full coverage foundation but it has more coverage than Almay Age Essentials (Light/Med Warm) that I've been using and it lasts longer. It's priced higher by the ounce than some DS foundations, though, so that's something to keep in mind. I'm hoping it doesn't cause a breakout. Also, as others have mentioned, it is watery and will make a mess when it comes out of the pump if you're not careful. I cup my hand and pump it onto my palm to keep it from spray all over.
***Edited to add***
I tried Fair/Light since Light/Med is a bit too dark for me during winter. Fair/Light is a little too light and it's also not as warm as Light/Medium. I bought it at Walmart and noticed that out of the three bottles of Fair/Light three appeared cool toned and one appeared warm toned. Weird.
Another thing to keep in mind is that it immediately settled into the fine lines under my eyes. This definitely needs to be set with powder.
Next I'll try mixing the two colors to see if I can make it work.