Paula's Choice CALM REDNESS RELIEF Repairing Serum

Paula's Choice CALM REDNESS RELIEF Repairing Serum

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycerin, Hyaluronic Acid (skin-repairing ingredients), Beta-Glucan, Sea Whip Extract (anti-irritants), Sodium Hyaluronate, Ceramide NP, Ceramide AP, Ceramide EOP, Cholesterol (skin-repairing ingredients), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Epilobium Angustifolium (Willow Herb) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (plant-based anti-irritants),Phytosphingosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Sodium Cocoyl Amino Acids (skin-conditioning agent), Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Flower Extract (antioxidant/anti-irritant), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Ubiquinone (antioxidants), Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (emulsifier), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (skin-repairing agent/emollient), Magnesium Aspartate, Potassium Aspartate, Sarcosine (skin-conditioning agents), Xanthan Gum, Carbomer (thickeners), Polysorbate 20, PEG/PPG-14/4 Dimethicone (emulsifiers), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

on 6/1/2018 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

When I got into my 40's, I started to notice a flush - like color covering my cheeks. I've used PC before, and I keep coming back to it. This serum is light - perfect for my "ridiculously oily skin that looks like it will stay that way to my death."
The serum took away the redness in minutes, and my foundation went on much smoother than with a regular primer.

While I have not noticed this doing much to calm my skin, I like it as a lightweight serum featuring many skin-beneficial ingredients. It contains two forms of hyaluronic acid as well as ceramides to provide hydration and improve the skin's condition, plus antioxidants to fight damaging free radicals. I layer this on after applying a vitamin C serum (Paula's Choice C15 Booster) - one pump is sufficient for my face. After just a couple days of use my skin feels and looks softer and smoother.

For those who are sensitive to silicones, this does contain a small amount of PEG/PPG-14/4 Dimethicone but it's near the bottom of the ingredient list as a 'texture enhancer'. I usually break out when I use products with silicone but my skin has tolerated this well after months of use.

Despite this being a very good product overall, I will likely not repurchase because its calming function was not noticeable on my skin. As for its functions as a hydrator and anti-aging serum, I have found other products that do an even better job (Hylamide Low-Molecular HA Booster for hydration, and The Ordinary Resveratrol + Ferulic Acid as a source of antioxidants). However, if those products are ever discontinued, I would definitely consider going back to this.

The Paula's Choice Calm Redness Relief Repairing Serum has become a staple in my daily routine. I recently purchased an Illuminage Wrinkle Laser Device and using this five days a week leaves my skin stinging, burning, flaking, and bright red (oh, the things we do for beauty). I'd tried my normal serum as well as several other toners and moisturizers to help try and alleviate these side effects but none really soothed my skin.

I'm very glad to have found this serum. I apply it immediately after I finish my laser treatment and it helps instantly take down the redness and soothe the stinging and it also absorbs quickly so I can get to my other moisturizers and treatments. This has no scent and no denatured alcohol so it is perfect for me to use with my super dry and sensitive skin. If you have red or irritated skin I highly recommend giving this serum a try to see if it can help alleviate your skin issues, too. My more detailed review video can be seen here:

on 12/18/2017 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

I like this. My skin was freaking out for some reason a week ago when I tried a bunch of different products at the same time. My whole face became dehydrated, hard and with the texture of sand paper. It was scary. I went off all actives for a couple of days and my skin was calming down but it still was itchy, hard and sandpaper like persistently, after a few days. When I started using this serum I noticed a big difference on the texture literally overnight which impressed me. 3 days later of using this and my skin is 98% back to normal.

The texture is very light and a little goes a LONG way. It hasn't caused breakouts or irritation. I use it morning and evening. Gives me no problems with makeup. The ingredient list is beautiful. Its fragrance free. Price is high but still affordable for me at $34, and priced similarly to the other product I was considering (First Aid Beauty Ultra RepairĀ® Hydrating Serum $36) and that one doesnt have ceramides, this Paulas choice does.

The packaging isnt the best or prettiest, but it keeps the ingredients stable and it works (it does what it says, it smoothes, hydrates and helps with irritation).

I would repurchase.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I like this product a lot, but only for a specific purpose. I don't use it every day as I see no real difference either way in terms of moisture or redness reduction, but it is good to act as a buffer if I am using harsher products afterwards. The texture is not serum-like at all, IMHO, as it is a thicker liquid texture. It does absorb nicely and it doesn't seem to have given me any kind of bad reactions. My only real complaint is the packaging, as it is impossible to have any idea how much is left in the container. Otherwise, I will repurchase this item because it works really well to help keep my skin from getting redder or irritated.

on 4/16/2017 3:14:00 PM

This stuff is a nice hydrating serum. Paula's other serums unfortunately broke me out so those were a no go. However, this one is light and makes my skin very soft. It is nothing magical (I recommend the Vitamin C concentrate combined with the skin brightening treatment over this is you have any scarring issues) but it is really nice. I mostly use it after a pore cleansing mask to close my pores and give them a small boost of hydration.

If you want 10$, just use this code: https://goo.gl/bdPnHX

on 4/5/2017 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I do like this serum. It has a nice feeling on the skin, not sticky at all, and it does not irritate my rosacea skin. However, I have not seen a big difference concerning the redness of my skin unfortunately. Also the pump fell off, which is quite annoying. I can still use the bottle if I put back the pump each time I want to use it.

I use this purely for preventative measures, because my (otherwise very good quality) sunscreen does not contain any anti-oxidants. I use this twice a day. Its a bit of a watery/slimey consistency, but after spreading the tacky feeling will dissapear. I didn't notice any differences to my skin, but like I said, I just use this to protect my skin with anti-oxidants. It doesn't have any adverse effects either.
The packaging is a pump which is good! However, the pump mechanism feels very cheaply made . (Flimsey and it is not possibly to dose/'half press' the pump).

on 4/11/2016 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

On trying a sample I decided to give it more of a go, am undecided how helpful this is but I have certainly noticed that in combination with the Calm range 1% BHA my redness has reduced.

I have papyrus dry skin, senstised, so am up for trying anything to calm it down and get it back to normal (with no medication other than Prosacea homeopathic gel) functioning & this serum certainly isn't negative. My skin hasn't reacted against it so far but am not sure it does much for me beyond calm yet but have only tried it for a few days so far. But the calming effect is worth having right now for me.

Why I bought it was because Paula's Choice says it can help sensitive skin tolerate retinol and that makes it worthwhile investing in a bottle and giving it a longer trial, for me.

on 4/2/2016 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Pros

Doesn't Add Oilyness
Easy To Use
Lightweight
Nice Scent
Soaks In Well
Soothes Skin

Cons

None

Best Uses

Daytime Use For Oily Skin

On a whim, I decided to try a couple samples of the new Calm Repairing Serum. From the very first try, this serum hit so many of my wants, I had to buy a full bottle!

The serum has a light weight viscous liquid texture like some more expensive serums I have used. It soaks in very quickly, leaving no shine or stickiness to my face. The scent is natural and fresh. It is soothing to my entire face, even around the eyes. And, most importantly, it does not add to the oil of my face. This is probably the number one thing for me, since it means I can wear it during the day and it won't contribute to excess oil production. For those with dryer skin, this serum won't significantly hydrate. However, I don't see that adding a moisturizer on top of this serum would be a problem because it soaks into the skin so well.

Since I have only used samples so far, I can't comment on the anti-aging properties just yet. I will submit a revised review after I use it more consistently.