E.L.F. Mad for Matte Eyeshadow Palette

E.L.F. Mad for Matte Eyeshadow Palette
Mad for Matte Eyeshadow PaletteMad for Matte Eyeshadow Palette

I bought this product on a whim for 10 bucks, and was pleasantly surprised with that quality! I'm a beginner at makeup-ing, and I would say this is a great palette for honing your skills.

The shadow is fairly pigmented, but not so much so that it's unforgiving. The shade range is very versatile too- you can get some great warm and cool, and day and night looks. I haven't tried the shadows without eyelid primer, but I can say with primer they stay put, if losing a bit of vibrancy throughout the day. The look and texture are great, it definitely delivers on the beautiful neutral mattes.

As for the packaging, the palette is actually quite a bit smaller than the packaging, but the case is nice and sturdy.

on 7/14/2017 2:37:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I have many high end palettes but I find myself reaching for this one most often. I guess you can call it my "go to" palette! The peachy tone, fourth from the left, makes the prettiest transition shade but I find myself using all of the colors. I can get many different looks from this palette. I love it so much that I ordered the Mad For Matte 2 that looks amazing!! At ten bucks, you can't go wrong.

Picked this up on a whim because I'm broke as a joke and I'm pleasantly surprised, the eyeshadows are actually decent quality. The black color could be a little more pigmented, but for $10 I really can't complain. :)

on 6/30/2017 7:09:00 PM

I'm so impressed! I came across this palette while searching for a matte pale pink to use as an eyeshadow base of sorts, to brighten my eyes, and took a chance on this palette since the colors looked decent. I'd assumed this pallette like most others would be 20% useful and 80% colors I'd never use but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. A bargain for what seems like good quality. In fact, the third color from the left works well on me as a contour color (nose, chin, etc)!

on 6/10/2017 2:51:00 AM

This palette is OK for the price. I love the color range, I love the size and how compact the packaging is. However, the texture definitely is not my favorite. It's not crazy pigmented, but it sure does work. I do not regret buying it tho, it's great for beginners. It's a good transition palette. I heard the 2nd one has way better pigmentation so I wish I purchased that one instead

on 4/9/2017 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This was my first eyeshadow palette ever and I feel like it was a good start. Now that I have tried other shadows from other brands, my opinion of it still hasn't worsened too much. It's still a very functional, usable palette, still the only completely matte palette that I own, I'd be quite in a pickle without it. In terms of the looks it gives and pigmentation, I can totally say that it can rival higher priced eyeshadow, and it wouldn't be too much of an exaggeration. The most note worthy thing about the shadows in this palette is they are completely matte. No shimmer, no sheen, no satin, just matte. Compare to NYX matte eyeshadows for example, they always have a slight satin look to them, whereas elf mattes look totally flat, when the light hits them, there's nothing to reflect back. However that's also its problem. While they look good, the experience of applying them isn't the most satisfying. The shadows feel dry, not all of them are chalky dry, but they feel noticeably drier than matte shadows from other brands. Whenever I touch them with a finger or a brush then tap it off, even just lightly, they kick up a powder storm. Some eyeshadows do kick up powder but they hold together and also hold on to the brush well, and I'm not always at risk of inhaling my eyeshadows rather than applying them to my eyes. Luckily, I have never had issue with fallout. I guess we can't have shadows that look matte - aka dry - without the shadows themselves being dry.
The most underwhelming shades for me are the two lightest shades - the pink and the cream - and the two cool toned shades - the grey and the "black"; on either sides of the palette. I never felt like they do much for me when I apply them to the middle of the lid for a bright pop, it's always like eeh. They are good enough to blend out the edges of the look with though. The "black" shade is not a very pigmented black, it's more like a very greyish one, it's super dry and chalky, very difficult to pick up and doesn't give much impact when applied. It frustrates me so much that it was the main reason why I decided to branch out and buy more palettes just to find a good matte black. The rest of them are nice, workable with me trying too hard, they're great for everyday looks, very neutral, very natural. Frankly it's kinda hard to get a very dramatic look out of them without pulling in shadows from other palettes. Lasting power without a primer is 1 hour, 2 hours and they creased & blended altogether into a brown smudge. I don't blame them, my lids are oily, hooded monolids, nothing lasts without a primer and a good mattifying powder on top. With a concealer or the NYX jumbo pencil in Milk as a base, and my most mattifying powder, the loose CoverGirl one that smells like camphor whose name completely escapes me at the moment, the shadows lasts 6-8 hours easily with minor fading. They do look better with a primer underneath, but not by leaps and bounds, I use a base mostly because my lids eat eyeshadow and spit them out into the corners of my eyes. Their pigmentation is good enough to show up without a base.
Personal for my skin tone (light yellow olive), I think the colours don't stand out as much as they do on other people. There's not much of a drastic variation throughout the palette, especially with the four abovementioned shades being hardly usable, I have nothing to create a nicely contrasted look on my eyes. I wish the browns were deeper, since for monolids with no crease like mine, it takes more to create dimension.
Overall, if you're just looking for a everyday matte neutral palette for work or school, I'd still recommend it, but this palette doesn't go beyond that.

on 4/1/2017 10:13:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

If you are looking for a matte palette this is truly all matte. The shades are the best that I have ever seen in a palette if you like a neural or smokey eye. I agree with those that have said the light shades have less of a pay off than the deeper shades. This palette would probably work well for someone with an oily eyelid, but for someone like me with dry skin a primer is a must. Also, I like to use a deep shadow to line my eyes and these shadows are too dry for me to use to line.

The packaging is very nice slim, sturdy, and very attractive. There is not any fallout with these shadows. This palette is a great value, the color range, price point, and packaging outweigh any negatives.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I love this palette so much. This was my first eyeshadow palette from E.L.F. and I love it. The colours are a nice mix of cool and neutral and they are very pigmented. This palette goes with any other palette and can be used to create many different looks. I love the sleek and small packaging, the mirror, and the size of the eyeshadows. I will definitely buy more of these in different colours very soon.

on 2/19/2017 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

One of my favorites by elf and my first shadow palette by them. The colors are pigmented for me, i apply dry but over an eyelid primer. Last all day for me. Ive used the lighter browns in my crease and its bold. The lighter colors i apply as a base color all over. Great palette to take and go. So sleek and great design/mirror. Cant wait to grab Mad for Matte 2.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this palette for its mix of cool & warm tones. I use it failed to add soft dimension with the mid tones and to deepen it with obviously the deeper tones. The light shades are just there taking up space bc they're worthless. No pigment whatsoever! Maybe they can kind of act as a setting powder for primer or concealer? Idk... but I do love the mid tones in this palette! They blend easily with no fallout and as with most shadows, if you overblend, they tend to become muddy.