Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel

Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel

Serum: Water, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pantothenic Acid, PhenoxyethanolHydrating B5 Masque: Water, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Benzoate, Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Urea, Disodium EDTA, Trehalose, Polyquaternium-51

I really didnt want to buy this having spent so much money at my dermatologist clinic but i was talked into it. I have learnt that even though i feel as though i have the worlds oilest skin, my harsh acne treatments do dehydrate it to the point that the oils it produces cant compensate and so i must moisturise. I only realised this after using a magnifying mirror and decided to listen to the advice i was given. However, until now all moisturisers seemed to clog my pores and ruined my make up. This has truly changed my life. It gives some moisture without excess rubbish that is contained in creams. It dries without a greasy feeling and is fabulous under my make up, it looks even better! I put 3 drops between my hands and it covers my entire face and neck as it is so spreadable! I've got rid of all my other expensive but useless moisturisers, it has been three weeks and my acne has improved.

on 5/23/2016 8:40:00 PM

This has officially reached HG status for me.

I have a constant battle with dehydrated skin. To make matters worse, my skin is generally sensitive and I have been suffering from a damaged moisture barrier for the past year.

I've been using this morning and night for the last 4 months and am loving it! It does not irritate my skin, intensely hydrates as well as helps in retaining and preventing moisture loss from my skin, and is helping in repairing my skin moisture barrier. At first I thought it was only ok (just another hydrating step in my skin care routine). It wasn't until I finished my first bottle and was without it for a couple of weeks that I realised how much it had helped calm my skin and improve its moisture levels. Now I'm a total convert and never want to be without it!

The fact that it has a short and seemingly simple ingredient list doesn't bother me (in fact, I tend to prefer this as the higher the number of ingredients a product has, the higher the possibility that it would irritate my skin). I only care that it works. I have used products with the very same ingredients (glycerin, sodium hyaluronate and panthenol) and have had zero results. Perhaps it is the quality of ingredients, the ratio, that way it was processed.... who knows.

However, it is difficult to control the amount of product that is dispensed through the pipette, it leaves a somewhat shiny tacky finish, it can cause pilling under makeup and is bloody expensive in general, and especially if you live overseas - SGD156 in Singapore!!! (I took one lippie off for this reason). A cheaper alternative (if your skin is only mildly dehydrated) would be Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion, another staple of mine.

************************************************************************************************************
Ingredients: Water, glycerin, phenoxyethanol, sodium hyaluronate, calcium pantothenate, sodium benzoate, sodium PCA, disodium EDTA, urea, trehalose, polyquaternium-51, D11130/1

To Read all 189 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/2/2016 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I feel torn on this. I really like it. It's a pretty "clean" sodium hyaloronate. It only contains 4 ingredients (taken from their website):aqua / water / eau, phenoxyethanol, calcium pantothenate, sodium hyaluronate

It adds extra moisture and helps my flakiness due to retinol use. Its not the slightest bit irritating and the application is nice, two drops does my whole face and it dries quickly. At night I use it alone or if I'm really dry in winter add a moisturizer. In the AM I use it after cleansing but before my vit C serum.

If I found a dupe for this (with NO artificial fragrance etc) I would buy it because it's expensive. But otherwise I will repurchase as a find hyaloronates to be a good addition to my skin care, adding moisture with no chance of clogged pores and acne.

I took off one lippie for price.

on 5/22/2015 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I got a sample of the product with a recent purchase from the Skinceutical's website. I have combination/oily skin and decided to try the sample when I needed some extra moisture while adjusting to my Tretinoin cream. I used it during the day for 2 days but it left my skin very tacky and shiny. I don't wear any face makeup but with this I had to wear powder to reduce the shine. So, I have reserved this for use only at night! I use it after my Skinceuticals serums but before my Clarins moisturizer. I think it has definitely helped me through this time of adjustment to Retin-A and it relieved me of my patches of dry, peeling skin. 1-2 drops is enough for entire face. It absorbs very fast apart from the residual tacky feel. I may purchase the full bottle, especially when winter comes.. but I am undecided right now. From my personal experience, I wouldn't advise using this product all over your face during the day, but for specific dry spots it would be fine. It is a very helpful product when used at night. I have had no breakouts or adverse reactions. Hope this helps!

on 5/1/2015 7:47:00 AM

I have to say that i am not impressed by this product at all. I put it on in the evening (during day time i use a vitamin c serum) before my moisturizer and in the morning my face looked very lifeless and dull. Absolutely no improvement on the dryness, none! It normally looks much better with my moisturizer alone (la prairie ice crystal cream). When you put it on (it has a light gel texture) it feels like it dissapears in seconds, at first i thought "wow this is absorbed well". But actually no, you can see it peeling off if you itch our touch your face so it is not suitable to use under makeup as well. For what you pay this product is really not effective at all.

on 3/12/2015 1:51:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have combo-oily, sensitive (among others, my skin takes the habit of breaking out in hives when it doesn't like something I eat or put on my skin), SD/PD-prone skin. OSPW. Fitzpatrick IV.

I got a slew of Skinceuticals samples from local aesthetic clinic. I had high hope on this given the rave review, simple ingredients list and price tag.

The first couple days I was using it, my skin felt dry instead of quenched and the skin around my mouth was drying up and flaking. I kept on using it, hoping that if I'm persistent, I will be rewarded by plumper healthy skin.
I posted my concern on SCB and one member pointed out to me that it may be flaring up my SD. I thought since the flaking started from around the mouth and not between my eyes/eyebrows where my SD is the worst, it was just dryness. The day after, my skin start itching in that very area which quickly manifested in red itchy bumps and flaky skin.
No doubt, this product does aggravate my SD. I don't know which of the ingredient may cause it, since I've used other products containing those in this gel and never had a problem (given that the rest of the ingredients or the entire formula agrees with my skin).
I stopped using it right away and switched to Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel (which also contains both actives in this gel), as well as continuing my Skinoren and my skin immediately calmed down and the flareup was gone soon after.

Obviously enough, I won't repurchase or even finishing the sample, at least not on my face.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have dry patches and sensitive skin, I tried many moisturizers by many brands, you name it. e.g. Physio-gel, La Mer Cream, etc. They worked well during winter, when spring is coming up. The humidity makes me feeling sticky after applying the above moisturizers, then I decided to try this B5 gel, hopefully, it will help to improve my dry and dull skin. At the same time, I can avoid to use moisturizers when the weather is super humid in Singapore and Hong Kong.

I like to check out the ingredients of each product I try, I noted one of the ingredient in this B5 gel is: Hyaluronic acid, it effectively binds moisture to the skin, repairing a dry, mature complexion. Once I put a few drops on, it is not sticky at all. My skin instantly absorb it and feeling soft.

The dry patches has gone after the 2nd day I used the product, I was very impressed. After using a month, I reckon the vitamin B5 was able to rejuvenate my dry and tired skin, and the essential nutrients in this product effectively help my skin to look healthy again. Not only me, all my friends with sensitive skin all love it. It has no scent to irritate sensitive skin, and it was able to improve the condition of your skin.

Yes, it's expensive, but I haven't found anything better for when my skin needs an extra shot of moisture. It's not a particularly exciting product to use: it doesn't smell of anything, and the texture is very viscous - almost slimy - but a couple of drops over face and neck calm down thirsty post-peel or winter skin and leave it appreciably softer. Four lippies because of the price; would repurchase as there's nothing else that does the same job - but I'm still on the lookout for something similar that just feels a bit more pampering.

on 9/13/2014 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I got a samle of this from Equinox Spa and was told it is great to use every day, right after washing my face and before applying sunscreen and moisturizer.
I am not sure I noticed any difference.. I used for about a month, then noticed few breakouts. I stopped using it, and my face got better.

on 7/13/2014 8:44:00 AM

Finishing a bottle now and I just don't know. I usually use this after doing a home peel. Pros: no breakouts, not sticky, no bad reactions from my sensitive skin. Cons: No longer-term benefits realized, not moisturizing, expensive. I just haven't had good luck with Skinceutical products (4 different). They don't make my skin worse, but the benefits are negligible given the price.