Kat Von D Shade+Light Eye Contour Brush

4.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is my go to eye creation brush. It is really versatile. works extremely well and love that it is double-ended!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this brush when I was looking to upgrade my collection. I found this one for $27. I was initially annoyed with the price tag, but now that I have used the brush I have found it to be worth every penny! It applies everything well and has two different brush ends, so you are getting two brushes in one package. I also greatly enjoyed the coffin-shaped case it came in, although this obviously will not appeal to everyone. It is less important than the brush itself, which I believe most people will find helpful and easy to use. I would definitely repurchase this brush!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Ohhh this is nice!!! Seriously, shadows glide on for me like butter with this (and I have tried almost every eyeshadow brush on the market), applies product for me effortlessly and blending is a dream with this! Makes me feel like a pro and eyeshadow application looks like a pro!!! So very soft, you can hardly even feel it on your eyelid. So far I have no shedding from this (will update if I do further down the line). The pointer side makes applying crease shadows, "V" shadows, you can do those popular 'halo' shadow looks with this end, and even smudging if wanted. If you have small eyes like me, this pointed end I think could be/will be a game-changer!! I just can't get over how much more 'professional' my eyeshadow application looks with this brush. Makes applying shadow a total breeze. It is just magical, I swear. Washes up very nicely and easily.

Now, the packaging. I get Kat Von D and the whole 'coffin' idea and her persona and whatever, but as a 45 year old woman, I just do not care for the coffin packaging, and luckily for me, noone who has seen this thinks 'oh, that is a coffin!!!'--because for me, as a 45 year old woman, be it just a personal taste or preference, whatever, I do not want a case that looks like a coffin (sorry Kat, love your products, I just do not care for this case!!). The plastic of the case also feels very cheap and feels easily breakable, which, for me, I likely won't use this case anyway. But that is a shame, because I am sure the case factored into the price, and I would rather have had a sturdier case or no case at all. Coffin looking or not. One other note about the case, I find it a bit of a pain to open. It is 'stubborn' to open, and it feels almost like the entire case might snap when I try to open it (the case is so thin feeling). That may change over time and it might get easier to open. *shrug*

I will say, kudos to the other packaging involved. This came with a silica gel insert, which is a nice touch. The case also had a thin styrofoam-type (?) wrapping around it, which I appreciated, as this was shipped to me via UPS, so, that is also a nice touch. And, this does come in a box that is sealed (double-sealed, actually..), so you will know if it was tampered with. Finally, the box also has a plastic wrap on the outside of it, which again, being I ordered this online/it was shipped via UPS, I appreciate that. Having had boxes left in the rain from UPS, you appreciate things like plastic wrap!! :) (none of this really factored into my rating, but I just thought it was nice to mention!! :) )

All in all though, I pretty much disregard the case and just enjoy this fabulous brush. It really is magical, I swear!! So much so that yes, I want to get a second one!! :) LOVE!! :)

First of all - I absolutely loooove the packaging, it helps to keep my brush clean and in tact, how can you not love the black coffin design? I purchased this along with the Shade+Light Contour Kit and I have to say they work really well together. One thing I find with some contour brushes is that the brush is stiff, therefore leaving harsher, harder to blend lines on my face, and this brush is soft and glides along the face to create a subtle contour, which is also buildable for a sharper contour. Also, I have to point out that its basically 2 brushes in 1 - both brushes are excellent for dispersing products onto my face and after purchasing this I would not go back to other brushes.

Totally worth getting with the shade and light contour face palette. It just makes using the palette so much easier. The quality is great. Sometimes I feel like they get you by selling things separate so you spend more. But probably 7/10 times its well worth it in the make up world. I also appreciate the packaging as its a good holder for the brush as well.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

(my first KVD item)

I mean, at first glance the brush and packaging (I guess not all brushes came with packaging?) is really awesome. You can't fail with a black coffin case. But the case is actually a SUPER cheap plastic material, so I really feel like if you're going to go all out with a badass case, make it DURABLE. It feels dollar store cheap. The brushes are okay, I REALLY love the pointed end for tricky spots. Worth the money? I guess so, but the case it what really cheapens it and makes me think her whole line is cheapened by taking short cuts.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because I have the Shade+Light eyeshadow palette, I became interested in the brush designed to go with it. I can sometimes get a bit ridiculously obsessed with having the "whole package" while at other times, I have no problem resisting the "made for each other" marketing. This was one time when I really wanted that "whole package". Until now, I didn't even realized that KvD made makeup brushes. This brush is not cheap - $39 CDN - but it's double ended which means you're getting 2 brushes for that price. I am actually really pleased with this brush. One end is the perfect shape and texture for defining a crease and also blending out that definition so you can easily achieve a nice gradation of smokiness. The other end is a very pointed pencil type brush and it is absolutely perfect for applying a light colour to the very inner corners of my eyes, right beside my nose, where I have a bit of a hollow so it always looks dark because it's hard to get enough light shadow or concealer right into that hollow. It is also a good brush for applying shadows under the lower lashes and would be just as useful anywhere you want to be able to apply shadow to a small area or with precise control. The brush is, as far as I know, synthetic and has that "duo fiber" look, with white tips. What I have noticed right off the bat is that it doesn't clean up as thoroughly as many of my other brushes. After just one use, there were "stains" in the fuller side, where I'd used dark shadow, that didn't come out entirely.

The downside is that, like any double ended brush, it's a bit of a pain to store with my other brushes - I have to lay it horizontally in my very cramped makeup cabinet. And the case it comes with, a sturdy plastic one meant to look like a coffin, is just rather silly and probably adds a few bucks to an already pricey item. I'm glad I got this during the VIB sale but even without the 20% discount, I would still have purchased this.

Popular Makeup Brushes